Solved: Charging at a Volta charging station

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
My town has a few free charging stations at some of the municipal lots. One was open a few minutes ago so I parked there and plugged in (it had a J1772 end) but couldn’t figure out how to charge. There was nothing showing on the charger—no instructions or any display of any sort. FordPass showed that something was plugged in but there was no button to hit to get it to charge. Did I need to download the Volta app or is there something else I was supposed to do to get it to work?
Sponsored

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
The Voltas that are by the grocery store and movie theatre by us are just plug in and it starts. No app or display screen on the charger at all. Sign says it’s complimentary charging. It’s like 6kW, but free is great for topping off a little bit.

OP
OP

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The Voltas that are by the grocery store and movie theatre by us are just plug in and it starts. No app or display screen on the charger at all. Sign says it’s complimentary charging. It’s like 6kW, but free is great for topping off a little bit.
How do you get it to start charging?

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
My town has a few free charging stations at some of the municipal lots. One was open a few minutes ago so I parked there and plugged in (it had a J1772 end) but couldn’t figure out how to charge. There was nothing showing on the charger—no instructions or any display of any sort. FordPass showed that something was plugged in but there was no button to hit to get it to charge. Did I need to download the Volta app or is there something else I was supposed to do to get it to work?
As others stated Voltas are supposed to start charging just as you plugin. If it doesn't, that's where the app comes in. You can use it to check if it's out of service, or report the issue.

OP
OP

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

mattbostonmache

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
Country flag
Should the car be on or off?

It doesn’t matter

if the car is on, you should see a message on the instrument panel saying it’ll finish charging to whatever percent at some time. And have the little battery with a plug icon that you see whenever you are charging.

if you can get FordPassto update, it should show there too.

BalsaDust

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium 4X, 2023 Leaf (wifes car)
Occupation
This, that, and everything
Country flag
Our local shopping mall has volta chargers spaced around the mall and I finally got brave enough to use one. Like the OP I was confused that there was no "Start" button on the charger. I plugged in and was about to pull out my phone to check for an app but the charge indicater in the cars charge port started its white circling and then went to blue so I knew it was charging. The mall limts charge time to two hours (not really regulated) but I have seen cars charging there for quite a bit more.
After two hours I added 11kw to my MME, not too bad since it pretty much paid for the trip to the mall!

Tony

OP
OP

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I left when it wouldn’t charge but after dinner I walked by and noticed a Tesla charging there so I’m guessing it was functional. I guess there’s a J1772 to Tesla adapter, a reverse TeslaTap in a sense.

Polar

First Name
SBJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Select RWD SR
Country flag
I left when it wouldn’t charge but after dinner I walked by and noticed a Tesla charging there so I’m guessing it was functional. I guess there’s a J1772 to Tesla adapter, a reverse TeslaTap in a sense.
Most teslas ship with those these days.
Depending on the Volta station, some need the Volta app some don’t.

BalsaDust

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium 4X, 2023 Leaf (wifes car)
Occupation
This, that, and everything
Country flag
While I do most of my charging at home, I rarely use the "freebie" chargers because of the abuse they receive. I have seen burnt and melted contactors as well as foreign material shoved into the contact so I always look to see if the contacts are clean before plugging in. Also the chargers at the mall do not have a clip to hold them in, only a friction fit.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
Should the car be on or off?
Definitely off and lock the doors. You’re like going shopping or walking around town while it gets a little charge added? Don’t leave the car on if you’re not there.

Find the Volta station you’re referring to on plugshare and post the link here. There may be more specific instructions that are helpful.

Reactions: ARK

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
They are just putting in 14 Volta chargers at an outlet mall near me. There are 10 L2 chargers and 4 CCS chargers. I was there when some techs were working on an L2, they are simply Clipper Creek chargers under the advertising signs. Only the CCS ones need the app to activate. It may be that the L2 chargers are not powered up yet at the site you are trying. At the mall near me, two CCS chargers are working, but none of the other ones.

Check to see if the advertising screens are on, if not, that can be an indication they are not powered up yet.
Sponsored