SOLVED - Ice Slippage / loss of traction wreaks havoc! Error messages keep popping up

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Glad they were able to resolve it! I do think this issue needs more investigation. Over-revving is certainly not the problem - the tires would have to be moving >120 mph for that to happen, since the car has a ~13,800 rpm redline, the inverter frequency is computer controlled, and there is only one gear.

I know that EVs and hybrids often donā€™t like spinning tires because when the tire suddenly stops spinning it can create a large back EMF (an electromagnetic ā€œkickbackā€) that can create overvoltages in the motor windings. The 2nd gen Prius (~2004), offered traction control at all trim levels - this was marketed as a safety feature, but it is really because they knew the car wouldnā€™t handle multiple big spin/rapid stop EMF pulses.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I wonder if they had this problem with the Mach E 1400?

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
I wonder if they had this problem with the Mach E 1400?
It does make me wonder - the back EMF must have been ridiculous when those wheels hooked back up after spinning in the drifts, but clearly it worked. Either they have much beefier insulation on those motors and inverters, or the ā€standardā€ editions are far too sensitive to abnormal conditions like this.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Yes, so the fix is driving in a straight line with your hands off the wheel for a few seconds so the steering center can be relearned. Do this after driving for 5 minutes above 18 mph (e.g. may want to go cruise on a highway for a while). If that doesn't work, disconnecting the 12V battery first to clear the codes and then drive as described above. Others can try that themselves before having to go to a dealer.

S.B.

First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Got the car back today.
The service advisor said they had to reset all modules in the vehicle and something about a steering sensor. Im just happy to be driving her again :)
I have attached the invoice that says what they did.

Great service from my dealer and the service department if anyone needs them to fix the issue and your local. TASCA out of Rhode Island.
Capture.PNG
Thank you. Iā€™ve been getting the ā€œReverse Brake Assist Unavailableā€ message for no apparent reason over the last week, so will try these reset suggestions.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Yes, so the fix is driving in a straight line with your hands off the wheel for a few seconds so the steering center can be relearned. Do this after driving for 5 minutes above 18 mph (e.g. may want to go cruise on a highway for a while). If that doesn't work, disconnecting the 12V battery first to clear the codes and then drive as described above. Others can try that themselves before having to go to a dealer.
Seriously? Do you have to close your eyes as well? Lol

If that fixes it, and it only takes a few seconds, I would think people would have driven a few seconds without steering wheel input even by accident at some point.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Got the car back today.
The service advisor said they had to reset all modules in the vehicle and something about a steering sensor. Im just happy to be driving her again :)
I have attached the invoice that says what they did.

Great service from my dealer and the service department if anyone needs them to fix the issue and your local. TASCA out of Rhode Island.
Capture.PNG
Giggling at your VIN

OP
OP
cjrodriguez31

cjrodriguez31

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT - Towed 4 times/9 months
Country flag
OP
OP
cjrodriguez31

cjrodriguez31

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT - Towed 4 times/9 months
Country flag
THANK GOD i wasnt the only one LOL

Tasca and Mustnag go so well together. its cool seeing that name.
Tasca ford in RI has been nothing but great from the initial ordering, to pick up, to the service department. HIGHLY recommended.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
In Fords I have found if the ABS pump has to engage for longer than X seconds it freaks everything out. In my ICE mustang doing donuts with the TC off but ESC on will force the pump to run to try to stop you spinning (it hopelessly cannot) by braking front wheels some. It reacts too slowly to know what's going on so I find it actually helps you do tighter donuts. Anyways if you do this for too long it will set a code for pump has run too long basically. It's a safety incase theres a sensor error you can keep driving the car without it smashing the brakes.

The bad news is it appears the MME ABS doesn't reset itself on key cycle when it hits this failsafe.

My guess is this is a software patch to fix.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
You can order a specific VIN?
Sure. Most of the VIN is determined by the build. Everyone orders a specific VIN except for the serial number at the end and the check digits. You just don't know it!

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Your decisions shape the VIN. But since the 9th digit is the check digit, no choice can force it to be an X. Is it possible to choose part of your VIN? Yes, only because it is the same as choosing which trim level you are ordering. Your choices shape the VIN. Is it possible to order a specific VIN? No.

Ford Mustang Mach-E SOLVED - Ice Slippage / loss of traction wreaks havoc! Error messages keep popping up 279839D9-46DB-48FB-A4CC-BFE4657836B7
Oh pretty cool!