beders

First Name
Jochen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
After resetting the EV driver history, the expected range at 100% shows 240 or so.
I was expecting 300 since I bought an extended range Mach-E.
Or so I thought.
How can I tell if actually have?
Sponsored

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag

murphy62

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla S90D, 2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
retired
Country flag
After resetting the EV driver history, the expected range at 100% shows 240 or so.
I was expecting 300 since I bought an extended range Mach-E.
Or so I thought.
How can I tell if actually have?
Your window sticker will tell you if you paid $5000 extra for the 88 kWh usable battery.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The quick answer: What you really have is an 88 kWh battery (usable portion). Just like you might have a 15.5 gallon gas tank in an ICE vehicle.

Beyond that, the term Your Mileage May Vary applies, quite literally. Mileage is measured as miles/kWh (MPK). And varies far more widely in a BEV than in ICE, and is greatly reduced by things like cold temps, high speed, etc.

OP
OP
beders

beders

First Name
Jochen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Thanks all. I was getting a bit paranoid since the dealer initially showed me the wrong window sticker.

JDrazMME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Star White MME Premium Ext Batt AWD
Country flag
When I left the dealer at 100%, the range guessed 298 miles. After I reset it, I hovered around 160 for over a month. I just charged to 100% for the first time and it capped out at 302 miles so just give it some time. It should have the "EX" after the Mach E on your door also.

JDrazMME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Star White MME Premium Ext Batt AWD
Country flag
When I left the dealer at 100%, the range guessed 298 miles. After I reset it, I hovered around 160 for over a month. I just charged to 100% for the first time and it capped out at 302 miles so just give it some time. It should have the "EX" after the Mach E on your door also.
260 not 160!

BDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
And varies far more widely in a BEV than in ICE
I wonder if that is true? I'm not really sure (may well be), but it seems like there are plenty of things that can change ICE mileage. Guess I am curious if the difference is variability of mileage or just ease of refueling (ie it doesn't matter so much if you guzzle gas since it is faster to replace).

eStang

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Occupation
software salesperson
Country flag

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I wonder if that is true? I'm not really sure (may well be), but it seems like there are plenty of things that can change ICE mileage. Guess I am curious if the difference is variability of mileage or just ease of refueling (ie it doesn't matter so much if you guzzle gas since it is faster to replace).
There's a little of that too (it matters far less for ICE since there's fast gas stations nearly everywhere, so we don't watch MPG as much).

But on the whole, yes, there's far more BEV MPK variability than there is ICE MPG variability. Speed makes a much bigger difference. In fact, highway mileage on ICE is usually better than city. It's just the opposite in a BEV. And not just because of regen. Speed carries a much bigger penalty in a BEV. So does temperature. And elevation change.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Temperature can affect range horribly. You can lose more than 40% of your summer range in a very cold environment.

Of course, I can put my Blazer in 4-low, deflate the tires, and kill 80% of my range, but that isn’t an environmental effect.

BDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
Speed makes a much bigger difference. In fact, highway mileage on ICE is usually better than city. It's just the opposite in a BEV. And not just because of regen. Speed carries a much bigger penalty in a BEV. So does temperature. And elevation change.
Temperature can affect range horribly. You can lose more than 40% of your summer range in a very cold environment.
Good points, thanks! I am still curious about speed and how big a difference it makes between BEV and ICE, but can't seem to find a good explainer anywhere. I had completely neglected temperature. Time for someone to make a video about the relative variability of efficiency in an ICE vs BEV!

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Good points, thanks! I am still curious about speed and how big a difference it makes between BEV and ICE, but can't seem to find a good explainer anywhere. I had completely neglected temperature. Time for someone to make a video about the relative variability of efficiency in an ICE vs BEV!
Cruising on the highway at 55 on the highway with an ICE is its sweet spot. Go 70 and MPG drops off, but is still quite good. My F-150 V8 can get 20 - 21 mpg depending on temperature and load.

Move to my Fusion Energi, a PHEV, which on the highway is basically an ICE/hybrid. The initial 21 miles of EV only is gone quickly at 70mph, and now you're a hybrid, the engine is running nearly all the time, but when you come off the gas you get some hybrid and regen. I can get high 30 mpg easily, vs. low 40s locally due to the hybrid capability. My 21 miles of EV becomes 13 in the winter. And the ICE MPG drops on local drives, because the engine has to warm up, especially to provide heat.

With the BEV, I expect to lose at least that 40% of range as stated, but hope to not live in a cold climate in the next year and lose that issue. Cruising at 70 I expect the miles per kWh to drop.

eStang

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Occupation
software salesperson
Country flag
Cruising on the highway at 55 on the highway with an ICE is its sweet spot. Go 70 and MPG drops off, but is still quite good. My F-150 V8 can get 20 - 21 mpg depending on temperature and load.

Move to my Fusion Energi, a PHEV, which on the highway is basically an ICE/hybrid. The initial 21 miles of EV only is gone quickly at 70mph, and now you're a hybrid, the engine is running nearly all the time, but when you come off the gas you get some hybrid and regen. I can get high 30 mpg easily, vs. low 40s locally due to the hybrid capability. My 21 miles of EV becomes 13 in the winter. And the ICE MPG drops on local drives, because the engine has to warm up, especially to provide heat.

With the BEV, I expect to lose at least that 40% of range as stated, but hope to not live in a cold climate in the next year and lose that issue. Cruising at 70 I expect the miles per kWh to drop.
The big efficiency drop off for the Mach-E in my experience happens above 65 mph

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
ICE vehicles have transmissions with variable gears for low and high speeds, that is the major difference. You can run a gas or diesel engine at lower RPMs at high speeds. An electric motor with only one gear has to run much faster at high speeds.

As for weather, an ICE vehicle uses a cooling system that gets very hot, no matter what the outside temperature. So in the winter that heat gets used to warm the passengers, thus no more gas than normal. In an EV, the battery power has to be used to generate that heat. For use of AC in the summer it is a wash between the two, the ICE powers the compressor with a belt, and the EV uses a motor.
Sponsored