Some of us just got screwed by New Jersey - but Ford is stepping up!

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
**** UPDATE April 15 2021 ***
Apparently Ford is stepping up their game!
https://www.carsdirect.com/deals-ar...s-in-new-jersey-are-being-given-a-5k-discount

**** UPDATE Apr 9 2021 ****
Apparently it is indeed true that if you ordered before 12/15, took possession of the exact car you ordered by March 15th, and filed by March 31st you are indeed still eligible to get the rebate.

The Board of public utilities will close phase 1 of the EV incentive program as of Dec 15th, and won't start phase 2 of the program until Summer 2021.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Some of us just got screwed by New Jersey - but Ford is stepping up! Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 5.09.09 PM
Sponsored

Last edited:

JSOrange97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150, Chevrolet Suburban K1500
Country flag
The Board of public utilities will close phase 1 of the EV incentive program as of Dec 15th, and won't start phase 2 of the program until Summer 2021.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Some of us just got screwed by New Jersey - but Ford is stepping up! Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 5.09.09 PM
Argghhhh!!!

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
Id like to believe this might force Ford to change there financing/leasing options but i doubt it. We'll whats going to happen in the next coming weeks.

JSOrange97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This makes me furious. To my knowledge, they never advertised that there would be a break in supporting this incentive. They even touted that it would transition to a point of sale credit program.

How can you be for “Clean Energy”, but only for a little bit?! The NJ BPU must be one of the more corrupt organizations in the state. This is total BS.

OP
OP
timbop

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
This makes me furious. To my knowledge, they never advertised that there would be a break in supporting this incentive. They even touted that it would transition to a point of sale credit program.

How can you be for “Clean Energy”, but only for a little bit?! The NJ BPU must be one of the more corrupt organizations in the state. This is total BS.
It is definitely maddening; when Murphy signed the bill the program was supposed to be for 10 years; nobody mentioned that it would be like swiss cheese with big holes in the program.

JSOrange97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Id like to believe this might force Ford to change there financing/leasing options but i doubt it. We'll whats going to happen in the next coming weeks.
I’d like to hope so. As individual customers and taxpayers, not sure they will listen to us directly.

SoriceConsulting

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sorice.com
Vehicles
2023 GTPE, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
I don't expect my car to be available until around May (ordered 10/20/2020). If the rebate is back by then I assume it will be $5,000 off the purchase price that the dealer subtracts when you buy. If that is true I'll likely follow through. If not, I'll definitely have to pass :^(

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
It is definitely maddening; when Murphy signed the bill the program was supposed to be for 10 years; nobody mentioned that it would be like swiss cheese with big holes in the program.
Maybe there is a way to delay taking ownership since you already have a deposit

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag

Does that include no sales tax too??????

JSOrange97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
Argghhhh!!!
That might push me to not move ahead. It’s both a lot of money and I feel baited and switched by Jersey. Tough to take. I am just paying off my edge and with COVID economic uncertainties, the smart thing is to drive my edge into the ground. The fed and state incentives, no sales tax and then trade in for my edge made me feel like I could move ahead. Now, crap. .

JSOrange97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That might push me to not move ahead. It’s both a lot of money and I feel baited and switched by Jersey. Tough to take. I am just paying off my edge and with COVID economic uncertainties, the smart thing is to drive my edge into the ground. The fed and state incentives, no sales tax and then trade in for my edge made me feel like I could move ahead. Now, crap. .
Yup, I am now wondering the same thing. Also makes my decision to go with ER pretty a questionable one. This is a $10k swing in that car.

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
This program is probably gone for good. With the budget shortfalls from COVID, they simply can't afford to subsidize automobile purchases by relatively affluent people. I expect other states to get rid of the incentives as well. NJ is still better than most states in terms of EV incentives in that you don't pay sales tax on the vehicle.

SoriceConsulting

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sorice.com
Vehicles
2023 GTPE, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
My decision is pretty simple (as it may be for other NJ buyers).

Current Incentives to 'go green' by NJ:
$5k rebate (or taken off the top by the Dealer - the supposed 'Phase Two')
No Sales Tax

That means savings on MachE = about $9,000

Remove either one and I'm out.

SoriceConsulting

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sorice.com
Vehicles
2023 GTPE, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
Besides - lots of new EVs coming out in 2021 (Nissan Ariya looks interesting). Maybe we'll look back on this and thank NJ for delaying our purchase?
Sponsored