Some of us just got screwed by New Jersey - but Ford is stepping up!

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I believe that you had to order by the 12-15-20 date and did not receive your car by the 3-15-21 cutoff date because of delays by Ford.......
right "ELIGIBILITY UPDATE: Vehicles must have been purchased or leased by December 15, 2020."

However Ford knows anyone who purchased during 12/20, would not have had a delivery before 3/15 in NJ. I would venture to guess it's the folks who preordered or the drops that didn't get delivery by 3/15 could be in the 125 class.
Sponsored

available_username2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cmax energi
Country flag
If you ordered after 12/15/20 you probably aren't getting it before July. And even then you shouldn't take delivery until the pos is going

efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag
Only Ford knows right now who they want to extend it to as 125 is very vague. I would think it should be entitled to the folks who ordered expecting 12/20 delivery and received after 3/15 the program cut off date. When you ordered in 12/2020 delivery would be beyond the program date. Also the NJ program ran out of money long ago, the hope is that the next phase sets aside money for the prior group and a future group.

125 is a very small group and most likely it will only be provided to who missed out due to a late delivery.
I think the 125 is the number of people who not just ordered their car before 12/15, but also had a reasonable expectation of delivery before 3/15/21 so their purchase decision was based on getting that $5k rebate. So, if someone purchased their car on 12/14/2020, I doubt they would qualify. If you ordered your car back in June 2020, I would guess you have a good shot.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I think the 125 is the number of people who not just ordered their car before 12/15, but also had a reasonable expectation of delivery before 3/15/21 so their purchase decision was based on getting that $5k rebate. So, if someone purchased their car on 12/14/2020, I doubt they would qualify. If you ordered your car back in June 2020, I would guess you have a good shot.
Sounds about what I said, you just made it clear now :)

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Wow! That is fantastic for those who ordered in time but just missed the Mar 15 delivery deadline for the rebate. Very impressed by Ford.
And is wholly unfair to everyone else that Ford isn't giving a $5000 discount too.

If NJ wants to give out subsidies, so be it. But in no way should Ford be doing this. It's not their responsibility. Instead, they have a responsibility to treat all their customers fairly, including those in other states.

It's always great for those getting the $5000, of course. I'd take it too. But it doesn't breed very good will for those that aren't getting special treatment. Selective treatment cuts both ways on the "good will" scale. Many of us missed out on tax credits and other monetary advantages because of the (understandable) delays. People in my state lost out on $1500. (And we don't get a sales tax exemption worth another $3000-$4000 like NJ buyers already do.)

Last edited:

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
And is wholly unfair to everyone else that Ford isn't giving a $5000 discount too.

If NJ wants to give out subsidies, so be it. But in no way should Ford be doing this. It's not their responsibility. Instead, they have a responsibility to treat all their customers fairly, including those in other states.
That was my first reaction, but the devil side of me thinks this is just a PR stunt. Ford saying that 125 cars with no identity of who is really not saying much. 125 is a small number too and again has me thinking they are just targeting the early orders of who missed the cut off due to delivery delays.

Bigger problem for me is that if someone does get it, they are getting it before NJ pays out which could be never. Who knows if it really will get funded, NJ is NJ.

Last edited:

MachEUser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
The key would be to get a copy of the memo sent to dealers so that the exact legal wording and specific dates applicable can be studied.

These types of offers have to very clearly stated for legal purposes I’m guessing and can’t be arbitrarily decided.

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
A little bit of a mystical kingdom, like Camelot
Vehicles
Premium MME4X Iconic Silver
Country flag
Plus, is it fair that Ford production delays for the Mach E cost those 125 New Jerseyans the $5K rebate that they would've been eligible for if their cars had arrived as scheduled? Ford mentions production delays in the announcement.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Plus, is it fair that Ford production delays for the Mach E cost those 125 New Jerseyans the $5K rebate that they would've been eligible for if their cars had arrived as scheduled? Ford mentions production delays in the announcement.
Not fair to those buyers, no, but that's the state's fault for putting arbitrary dates on their subsidies. If the state wanted it to be fair to their buyers, they should have extended their dates due to COVID that delayed auto production for the whole world.

Either way though, it's unfair for Ford to selectively be giving out $5000 discounts because of money the state is responsible for. They didn't do it for other states who's buyers also lost state rebates. (Nor should they have, for any of them IMO.) If states are going to be doling out subsidies, they're the ones responsible for managing them fairly. Not Ford.

I'm happy for any individual that gets a super deal, of course, but I think it's unfair for Ford to give away $5000 to selective buyers in one state (because of that state's policies) while everyone else doesn't get the same treatment.

efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag

It's always great for those getting the $5000, of course. I'd take it too. But it doesn't breed very good will for those that aren't getting special treatment. Selective treatment cuts both ways on the "good will" scale. Many of us missed out on tax credits and other monetary advantages because of the (understandable) delays. People in my state lost out on $1500. (And we don't get a sales tax exemption worth another $3000-$4000 like NJ buyers already do.)
I think you are missing the point. The $5k discount from ford is for people who lost the incentive for delays that were caused by Ford. Your situation, in Colorado, is not the same. In your case, the state incentive was scheduled to be scaled down on January 1, 2021. At that point, all deliveries were expressed as December or January so there was an up-front understanding that the vehicle might not qualify for the full $4k.

OP
OP
timbop

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I think you are missing the point. The $5k discount from ford is for people who lost the incentive for delays that were caused by Ford. Your situation, in Colorado, is not the same. In your case, the state incentive was scheduled to be scaled down on January 1, 2021. At that point, all deliveries were expressed as December or January so there was an up-front understanding that the vehicle might not qualify for the full $4k.
Exactly - NJ announced on Dec 14th that the "10 year program" was ending on Dec 15th

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
No, they weren't caused by Ford, they were caused by COVID. And even if Ford had delays on their own, it still wouldn't make then responsible for state money.

Doesn't matter whether the state deadline was Dec 14 or Dec 31. Still the same thing.

As you said, the state is the one that screwed people by changing their 10 year program. That's the state's responsibility, not Ford's.

Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Exactly - NJ announced on Dec 14th that the "10 year program" was ending on Dec 15th
That's NJ's doing, not Ford's. NJ is the one responsible, not Ford. If anyone should pay anything, it's the state, not Ford.

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
A little bit of a mystical kingdom, like Camelot
Vehicles
Premium MME4X Iconic Silver
Country flag
NJ announced in Dec that funding for the first year of the program was used up and that those that ordered by Dec 15 and took delivery by Mar 15 would still be eligible to get the rebate.

Some folks ordered as early as Oct and didn't get their cars until after Mar 15 due to delays in production, etc at Ford, so Ford took some of the responsibility for that handful of buyers losing out on a $5K rebate.

When the NJ EV incentive program was announced, it was the intention to move to a "stage 2" point-of-sale program in the fall of 2020. Now the plan is the point-of-sale program will start up in "the summer of 2021", likely after the new fiscal year starts on July 1.

The new program will be "based on the availability of funds". Assuming funds are available, we'll probably hear details in May or June on amount of credit, caps, etc.

The document detailing all this from the NJ DPU is attached.
Sponsored

Attachments