Some of us just got screwed by New Jersey - but Ford is stepping up!

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
A little bit of a mystical kingdom, like Camelot
Vehicles
Premium MME4X Iconic Silver
Country flag
What is the process to switch if there is a dealer I guess willing to accommodate you? How late can you switch?
I just don't know and hope I don't have to find out. You'd think they'd accommodate me for $5K savings if they were unable or unwilling to process the incentive and another dealer could/would do it. If not, then I might have to get Ford involved and see if that helps the dealer in being reasonable.

I asked my dealer rep if they've heard about the new point of sale incentive program that will be effective July 1, assuming dealers have to get ready to administer it. Also, I asked if they'd be willing to delay my purchase one to two weeks so I'd be eligible for the incentive, assuming the car arrives on time in mid-June. He responded that they are awaiting details of new program the and so could not answer my questions at this time, but would let me know as soon as they've heard.

The NJ DPU web site has a link to an announcement of the "FY22 Budget and Programs Public Notice” that will be released next week (week of May 17). The Announcement says that a "Public Hearing on the Straw Proposal and the proposed FY22 CEP program budgets and filings” will be held on May 25.

CEP likely stands for Clean Energy Program, which includes the EV incentive. The remaining DPU Board Meetings before FY22 are on May 19, June 9, and June 23, so they might finalize plans for the new program in June but we might get some detail the end of this month.
Sponsored

MachEUser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
I just don't know and hope I don't have to find out. You'd think they'd accommodate me for $5K savings if they were unable or unwilling to process the incentive and another dealer could/would do it. If not, then I might have to get Ford involved and see if that helps the dealer in being reasonable.

I asked my dealer rep if they've heard about the new point of sale incentive program that will be effective July 1, assuming dealers have to get ready to administer it. Also, I asked if they'd be willing to delay my purchase one to two weeks so I'd be eligible for the incentive, assuming the car arrives on time in mid-June. He responded that they are awaiting details of new program the and so could not answer my questions at this time, but would let me know as soon as they've heard.

The NJ DPU web site has a link to an announcement of the "FY22 Budget and Programs Public Notice” that will be released next week (week of May 17). The Announcement says that a "Public Hearing on the Straw Proposal and the proposed FY22 CEP program budgets and filings” will be held on May 25.

CEP likely stands for Clean Energy Program, which includes the EV incentive. The remaining DPU Board Meetings before FY22 are on May 19, June 9, and June 23, so they might finalize plans for the new program in June but we might get some detail the end of this month.
It seems like it will be approved since there is a budget surplus but there may be a lag between when it is approved and when dealers sign up and are able to process claims. It requires them to get trained and work with the Center for Sustainable Energy per the website. With just a few EV cars being sold per dealer, it may not be a priority for all dealers to get trained, set up, etc as soon as the program starts. It is also possible it is less than $5000. Some wording on the website also says summer 2021 so it could start later than July 1st.

There was supposed to be $5k from Ford to compensate for the gap in the NJ program for those that ordered their Mach E early. We need to get more info and details on that. That may make waiting for this state program to restart a moot point.

Not sure about the switching dealer thing but my guess is if they ship it, it may be difficult/impossible to change dealers. The vehicle is technically sold to the dealer at that point and becomes theirs. Transferring inventory to another dealer sometimes may work but it would require the original dealer agreeing to do this after they previously disagreed with you. Most dealers probably don't want to do work to help another dealer complete a sale that was originally theirs especially if they think they can easily sell it to someone else.

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The straw proposal from the NJ DPU for the new NJ point of sale EV incentive was published today. Below is the important part. Looks like the MME will only be eligible for the lower $2K incentive unless you can keep the MSRP under $45K. Maybe the Select with nothing on it would be eligible? The NJ DPU document is attached.

"This structure retains the spirit of the EV Act and allows the $25 per all-electric mile calculation to remain for most incentives. Staff recognizes that the Program should prioritize “incentiveessential” customers, and as such proposes this option, which would cap incentives available to higher end cars, while still offering higher incentives to cars with more battery range. In order to keep the funding available longer and prevent vehicles with a higher MSRP from garnering a larger than necessary incentive, the value of the incentive will be capped at $2,000 for all vehicles above $45,000. The vehicle must still adhere to all other Program terms and conditions, including the overall MSRP cap of $55,000. Staff seeks comments on the use of the $25/all-electric mile and the soft MSRP cap"

Attachments

OP
OP
timbop

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The straw proposal from the NJ DPU for the new NJ point of sale EV incentive was published today. Below is the important part. Looks like the MME will only be eligible for the lower $2K incentive unless you can keep the MSRP under $45K. Maybe the Select with nothing on it would be eligible? The NJ DPU document is attached.

"This structure retains the spirit of the EV Act and allows the $25 per all-electric mile calculation to remain for most incentives. Staff recognizes that the Program should prioritize “incentiveessential” customers, and as such proposes this option, which would cap incentives available to higher end cars, while still offering higher incentives to cars with more battery range. In order to keep the funding available longer and prevent vehicles with a higher MSRP from garnering a larger than necessary incentive, the value of the incentive will be capped at $2,000 for all vehicles above $45,000. The vehicle must still adhere to all other Program terms and conditions, including the overall MSRP cap of $55,000. Staff seeks comments on the use of the $25/all-electric mile and the soft MSRP cap"
Hmm, that is kind of a bummer. I wonder if that means those of us whose Mach-E qualified for the 2020 incentive will get the $2000? Kind of sucks if so, but better than the $0 I originally thought I would get.

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hmm, that is kind of a bummer. I wonder if that means those of us whose Mach-E qualified for the 2020 incentive will get the $2000? Kind of sucks if so, but better than the $0 I originally thought I would get.
Don't know but maybe you'll get the 5K because it was under the old program and this cap was not in place then.

Only hope now is they'll get a lot of negative comments and some pressure from the manufactures that might change their minds back to a flat $55K cap. Not holding my breath.

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I think and hope that those of us who qualified and were approved (but still waiting for the $$) in round 1 of incentives would still get the full $5000 amount.......

any opinions: I have the Select model, with the com/appear. pkg......if I remember correctly, $43000+ 2300 would put me at $45300, does that $2300 get added to the base $43000 to get my MSRP???......

certainly, I would prefer the full $5000 but when I began this process back on Dec. 10 2019 when I reserved, I didn't know anything about the incentive, so even the $2000 would be nice.....oh, thanks SAM for finding the new info!!!!!!!.....good luck to us all!!!

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think and hope that those of us who qualified and were approved (but still waiting for the $$) in round 1 of incentives would still get the full $5000 amount.......

any opinions: I have the Select model, with the com/appear. pkg......if I remember correctly, $43000+ 2300 would put me at $45300, does that $2300 get added to the base $43000 to get my MSRP???......

certainly, I would prefer the full $5000 but when I began this process back on Dec. 10 2019 when I reserved, I didn't know anything about the incentive, so even the $2000 would be nice.....oh, thanks SAM for finding the new info!!!!!!!.....good luck to us all!!!
I think you should get the full 5K because you ordered before Dec 15 under the old rebate program. Too bad they don't care what I think.

For the $45K and $55K caps all options, etc would count, so your MSRP would be $45,300.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well they do care, you can sign up for the Webinar and ask questions.

https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_edYW4WV6SLa2bLWAKhvMTw
I know. Or, you could submit comments. I don't think the amount for the hold overs from the previous program is decided yet, so it'd be hard to comment right now. Those expecting a rebate might ask for more details during the webinar.

In my case, I feel $2K is still a good EV incentive and I'd be reluctant to complain that I'm not getting $5K when it looked like I'd be getting zero when I ordered (after the Dec 15 cutoff).

I half expected they'd decrease the MSRP cap for the new incentive. I was just hoping they wouldn't. Now that my hopes are dashed, I'm going to count myself lucky that I'm getting anything and forget I ever heard about a $5K incentive.

NJDevFan30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium ER, '19 Highlander Hybrid
Country flag
I've mentioned the state incentive starting Jul 1 to the dealer several times in e-mails but no response to that. Time for a visit to straighten out expectations.
I considered ordering from Ditschman Ford and one of the questions I specifically asked was if they'd be willing to hold the car until the rebate program restarted in July. Best case at the time I ordered was a June delivery so it was potentially a few week hold. They told me yes. If it meant a few thousand dollar savings they'd be willing to extend that as a courtesy. Hope you can get them to agree to the same.

I ended up ordering through Fullerton though. Other factors.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
I considered ordering from Ditschman Ford and one of the questions I specifically asked was if they'd be willing to hold the car until the rebate program restarted in July. Best case at the time I ordered was a June delivery so it was potentially a few week hold. They told me yes. If it meant a few thousand dollar savings they'd be willing to extend that as a courtesy. Hope you can get them to agree to the same.

I ended up ordering through Fullerton though. Other factors.
Would you mind sharing the other factors that went into your dealer decision? Thanks

NJDevFan30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium ER, '19 Highlander Hybrid
Country flag
Would you mind sharing the other factors that went into your dealer decision? Thanks
The main one was refund policy. Ditschman would refund the deposit up until they took delivery. Fullerton was fully refundable until I signed the dotted line to take ownership.

I've been following the Mach E since last summer but wanted to test drive before ordering. Fast forward to February when I was able to do that. Mach E deliveries were just starting to pick up and this forum had plenty of posts about bricking, charging issues, windshield alignment problems, delivery delays for QC checks, etc. With it being a new build I wanted the option to walk away if these became wide spread problems or the car showed up with noticeable issues.

No issues with Distchman though. The sales guy I had been talking to was helpful, not pushy. I test drove there and they offered to let me come back and keep the car for a few days.

Last edited:

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
The main one was refund policy. Ditschman would refund the deposit up until they took delivery. Fullerton was fully refundable until I signed the dotted line to take ownership.

I've been following the Mach E since last summer but wanted to test drive before ordering. Fast forward to February when I was able to do that. Mach E deliveries were just starting to pick up and this forum had plenty of posts about bricking, charging issues, windshield alignment problems, delivery delays for QC checks, etc. With it being a new build I wanted the option to walk away if these became wide spread problems or the car showed up with noticeable issues.

No issues with Distchman though. The sales guy I had been talking to was helpful, not pushy. I test drove there and they offered to let me come back and keep the car for a few days.
Fullerton did great by me before and after the sale. I had a really long journey and they kept me in the loop the best they could. Basically I got Vehicle Visibility updates every few days after shipping started. While at the time it didn’t yield much information it still gave me some insight.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag

Thanks for the info!

stephywephy88

First Name
Stephywephy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e, Infinite Blue
Country flag
Well they do care, you can sign up for the Webinar and ask questions.

https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_edYW4WV6SLa2bLWAKhvMTw
I wrote my state legislators today and will submit comments. The soft cap of $45k is total BS two freaking months before program launch when they know people have cars on order. I hope NJ pays out the back incentives they owe from the quickly depleted Year 1 at the full $5k also.

Year 2 of a 10-year-program /sigh
Sponsored