Sorry To Hit The Brakes? Ordering mess...

SoriceConsulting

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sorice.com
Vehicles
2023 GTPE, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
Sheesh. I placed an 'Order' for my Mach-E on 10/8/2020. Picked a Dealer and paid my $500 deposit (which was forwarded to them). Dealer told me I would (eventually) have to come in and put down a non-refundable deposit to actually order one to my exact specs (which I already specified with Ford?). Told them that I would never order a car prior to seeing/driving, which they totally understood.

Fast forward to today. I get an email from Ford:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Sorry To Hit The Brakes? Ordering mess... 1602882132861

Called Ford. They said the dealer had to 'accept' my order, which they won't do until I put down a non-refundable deposit. The dealer said the order/reservation number means 'nothing' and I'd need to place an actual order (with a non-refundable deposit).

So, it seems that even though I've expressed (via a $500 deposit) interest in getting a Mach-E, Ford will be of no help going forward.

'You need to contact the dealer'

So here I am with a kind of 'non-order' order, with an 'order number' that now has morphed into a 'reservation', that the dealer said will do nothing to get me my Mach-E any sooner than walking on the lot when they are there?

What is wrong with this picture - FORD?

I was really excited and looking forward to getting a Mach-E (love the car), but this experience has left me cold. Here I am looking to give Ford over $55,000 for a car and their support has been, to put it kindly, dismal.

I would expect that my $500 deposit would at least get me a 'place in line' so that when they start rolling off the line I can get one sooner than the average walk-in customer. Apparently that is not the case.

Will probably just cancel my 'order', as it seems to do me no good. Better off just waiting and walking in off the street when they are at the dealers.

Anyone else experience this?
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Sheesh. I placed an 'Order' for my Mach-E on 10/8/2020. Picked a Dealer and paid my $500 deposit (which was forwarded to them). Dealer told me I would (eventually) have to come in and put down a non-refundable deposit to actually order one to my exact specs (which I already specified with Ford?). Told them that I would never order a car prior to seeing/driving, which they totally understood.

Called Ford. They said the dealer had to 'accept' my order, which they won't do until I put down a non-refundable deposit. The dealer said the order/reservation number means 'nothing' and I'd need to place an actual order (with a non-refundable deposit).

So, it seems that even though I've expressed (via a $500 deposit) interest in getting a Mach-E, Ford will be of no help going forward.

So here I am with a kind of 'non-order' order, with an 'order number' that now has morphed into a 'reservation', that the dealer said will do nothing to get me my Mach-E any sooner than walking on the lot when they are there?

I was really excited and looking forward to getting a Mach-E (love the car), but this experience has left me cold. Here I am looking to give Ford over $55,000 for a car and their support has been, to put it kindly, dismal.

I would expect that my $500 deposit would at least get me a 'place in line' so that when they start rolling off the line I can get one sooner than the average walk-in customer. Apparently that is not the case.

Will probably just cancel my 'order', as it seems to do me no good. Better off just waiting and walking in off the street when they are at the dealers.

My dealer has assured me in writing that the deposit is refundable. Also no ADM and accepting A-Z plans. If yours won’t check all of those boxes, you may want to choose a different dealer.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag

Yes the dealer has to accept the order - a lot of us had to deal with that issue here. But looks like NJ has several other dealers who have agreed to refundable deposits and no ADMs - you might have to switch to them or place an order with them - there is a list on this forum if you search.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
Dealer do have to hit the "accept" button. Most dealers do it happily right away without further communications. Some dealers do that after having a brief text or email or phone conversation. Both are fine by me. There exists some dealers like yours, but they are the minority.

Back at end of June and early July, there were a lot of discussions on that topic. Understandably, there haven't been much conversation on that recently. Most dealers promises no ADM, accepts X-Plan, and requires no non-refundable deposit. If you haven't heard about X-Plan, that gives you a discount of 2% minus $275. All you have to do to qualify for that is join Mustang Club of America.

See this old thread for list of known-good dealers: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/official-list-no-adm-mach-e-ford-dealers.95/

For dealer in the list, I would still recommend that you email/text them and get their commitment (no ADM, accept X-Plan, refundable deposit) in writing before making your order.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SoriceConsulting

SoriceConsulting

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sorice.com
Vehicles
2023 GTPE, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
ChasingCoral:
The dealer said my (initial) $500 is refundable and they have been good so far. They also said that (as detailed in my post) that this 'order' (which has now become a 'reservation') is worthless until I come in and actually order (with a non-refundable deposit).

Which leads me to wonder what good it was to bother ordering/reserving...

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
Yes the dealer has to accept the order - a lot of us had to deal with that issue here. But looks like NJ has several other dealers who have agreed to refundable deposits and no ADMs - you might have to switch to them or place an order with them - there is a list on this forum if you search.
OP doesn't have to "switch". Just cancel that old one and make a new order. Switching dealer is not automated: it requires calling Ford and waiting a few days.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
ChasingCoral:
The dealer said my (initial) $500 is refundable and they have been good so far. They also said that (as detailed in my post) that this 'order' (which has now become a 'reservation') is worthless until I come in and actually order (with a non-refundable deposit).

Which leads me to wonder what good it was to bother ordering/reserving...
The dealer lives in a bubble. Forget about them and move on.

Unfortunately, you have to work with dealers to buy a Mach E, and there are some bad ones out there.

OP
OP
SoriceConsulting

SoriceConsulting

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sorice.com
Vehicles
2023 GTPE, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
Dealer do have to hit the "accept" button. Most dealers do it happily right away without further communications. Some dealers do that after having a brief text or email or phone conversation. Both are fine by me. There exists some dealers like yours, but they are the minority.

Back at end of June and early July, there were a lot of discussions on that topic. Understandably, there haven't been much conversation on that recently. Most dealers promises no ADM, accepts X-Plan, and requires no non-refundable deposit. If you haven't heard about X-Plan, that gives you a discount of 2% minus $275. All you have to do to qualify for that is join Mustang Club of America.

See this old thread for list of known-good dealers: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/official-list-no-adm-mach-e-ford-dealers.95/
RyZt,
I'm aware of the ADM, X plan stuff (joined the Mustang Club!). So are you saying this dealer is different (in that they are not 'accepting' my order based on a fully refundable deposit)?

Very confusing. Dealer says I need to place a firm (non-refundable deposit) order. Have you had a different experience?

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag

This is the way the mache is sit up to sell. If you want one order it, and if you don't like it you don't have to buy it. The "dealer" here is the one saying non-refundable. Not ford. When any item you buy is in this big of a demand then you either get in line or you wait.

The same thing happens with the tesla launch same thing with the new corvette same with the new hummer. You could always try another dealer.
Sorry that it's that way for you but ford can't do anything on their end if the dealer won't push the order through.

OP
OP
SoriceConsulting

SoriceConsulting

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sorice.com
Vehicles
2023 GTPE, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
So the dealer could put in the order (based on my refundable deposit)? Their choice? I guess that means that if I don't like it they would end up with one on the lot?

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The problem in the marketplace is the same as it always has been. The good customer pays the price of the bad. People will order special items then when called saying the items are in they don't come to pick it up. Or they do buy things and nothing is wrong with them, take them home use them and bring them back and say it was broke.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
RyZt,
I'm aware of the ADM, X plan stuff (joined the Mustang Club!). So are you saying this dealer is different (in that they are not 'accepting' my order based on a fully refundable deposit)?

Very confusing. Dealer says I need to place a firm (non-refundable deposit) order. Have you had a different experience?
Yes, I've had a different experience. I got my dealer to put in writing (over text message) the three commitments, and made my order online. The dealer accepted it by the end of the day. I didn't have to sign anything electronically or physically.

Some people had to switch dealers. Others were successful in convince their original dealer to do the right thing. Most are like me, who had a smooth experience.

Last edited:

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Think about this. How many people will come to see the mache they order. love it then go in and say can I get the 0% interest and 500 dollars a month payment on the car. no, your credit score is 500 and your putting no money down. Try being the salesman then. So I see both sides of it.

I would say as high as 1 out of every 30 mache sold, the dealer sells to someone else, not the originally ordered person.

OP
OP
SoriceConsulting

SoriceConsulting

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sorice.com
Vehicles
2023 GTPE, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
The problem in the marketplace is the same as it always has been. The good customer pays the price of the bad. People will order special items then when called saying the items are in they don't come to pick it up. Or they do buy things and nothing is wrong with them, take them home use them and bring them back and say it was broke.
trutolife27,
Not sure what you mean. I followed Ford's process and thought I was 'getting in line'. The obvious caveat is that I need to see/drive before relieving myself of $55k. Not sure what purpose the order/reservation process serves. Is this a dealer issue? Ford issue? I don't want to blame the dealer if this is how Ford structured this launch.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
RyZt,

Yes there are dealers who will offer refundable deposit - whether you have to go in and place a real order in person or just online depends on the dealer I suppose, have read both on this forum. I have not had to go in person and no paperwork signed - just had to remind the dealers to accept the order (back in June most did not know the process.)

I had a bad dealer - who refused to accept the order and I just placed another order with another dealer losing some spots in the queue back then and this dealer was no problem (the dealer I am referring to above). My dealer understands that if I dont take delivery ie I cancel after the test drive, he will refund the deposit. He stated as much on his website.
Sponsored

Last edited: