Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
Hoping there has to be some battery experts here.....So, does a 48v 100 amp LiFeP battery have the same power (amp hours ) as four 12v 100 amp Lead/Acid batteries in series? OR would you have to put four of the 48V lithium batteries in parallel to get the same number of amp hours available.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Identical batteries in series will have the same amp-hour rating as the individual battery. But power is not measured in amp-hours.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
Maybe explain what your application / need is, and some of the smart people on here could share ideas on how to solve your situation.

Are you attempting to add more power to the towing situation shown in your profile pic?

Mrn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMES
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
Power is watts (Volts x Amps). So they both have the same Power. Energy is watts x hours. So you would have to know the energy rating of the two systems in order to answer that question.

OP
OP
jeffdawgfan

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Maybe explain what your application / need is, and some of the smart people on here could share ideas on how to solve your situation.

Are you attempting to add more power to the towing situation shown in your profile pic?
LOL!!! No, Actually I am going to buy a used golf cart that needs new batteries. I can buy (4) 12v AGM batteries (100 amps each) and put in series or I can buy a 48V Lithium battery that is 100 amps. Price wise going to very close ( about 20% more for lithium) but if the Lithium battery (which is much lighter) will run my cart just as long then it is a no brainer. The Lithium battery will last much longer. I just did not understand if the four 12v batteries in series gave me 400 amps at 48v or 100 amps. Actually that tow adapter in my avatar has a miniature fusion reactor that provides almost 1000 ft/lb of torque. Towing is no issue but stopping is a bitch :p

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
LOL!!! No, Actually I am going to buy a used golf cart that needs new batteries. I can buy (4) 12v AGM batteries (100 amps each) and put in series or I can buy a 48V Lithium battery that is 100 amps. Price wise going to very close ( about 20% more for lithium) but if the Lithium battery (which is much lighter) will run my cart just as long then it is a no brainer. The Lithium battery will last much longer. I just did not understand if the four 12v batteries in series gave me 400 amps at 48v or 100 amps. Actually that tow adapter in my avatar has a miniature fusion reactor that provides almost 1000 ft/lb of torque. Towing is no issue but stopping is a bitch :p
It's possible something got lost in the translation of what batteries exactly you are considering... but here goes.

The 4 AGM batteries in series get you 48v. (12v x 4 = 48V)... the capacity (100Ah) remains the same

The 48V lithium battery also has 100Ah of capacity.

Lithium is generally better in terms of driving... (lighter for the same power)... Keep in mind that they require vastly different chargers... you may factor that into the cost equation.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
In your application, the rated battery capacity is the same either way. Any differences will be due to how each battery chemistry behaves in use.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
You should make sure that lithium battery supports the current required for the motor and is rated for golf cart usage. Some of these lithium batteries have lower current ratings than lead acid due to the BMS they must have. Even though the lithium has the same energy as lead acid, it might not be able to output it as fast. And BTW 100 amps is not the current rating, you mean 100 amp-hours and that's the capacity of the battery.

OP
OP
jeffdawgfan

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Thanks all for your input. I think I will go lithium. I have to buy a new charger anyway.
Sponsored