SOS - California Route 1 vs Premium Standard

Hammy91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Scion
Country flag
Originally, my only pick for a color was Infinite Blue, but as we all know, that is no longer an order option. AND after seeing how difficult it appears to get a Mach-E (plus a certain someone saying they were sold out), I am getting really bad FOMO and even though I always said I would not compromise or settle on a car I would be spending so much on, I am now desperate and partially willing. I am even willing to go with the grey interior (which scares me lol).

If I were to order, my choice is now Rapid Red, BUT I am also looking into some options at various dealers. The problem is I want a Premium RWD with extended battery, but all they have are Selects and the occasional California Route 1 or Premium standard battery.

Obviously, I wanted the extended battery for the range, but I like the extra features of the Premium. I guess, my question is, would I be missing out on much if I just go with the California Route 1? I am in Southern California btw.

From what I can find online, the CR1 means:
No heated front seats (current car does not have it so something I am used to not having)
No heated steering wheel (current car does not have it so something I am used to not having)
No power liftgate (was looking forward to this, but my current Scion is manual so used to it)
No ambient lighting (really liked them)
No perforated seats like the Premium (which I prefer the look of)
No B&O sound system
No exterior pony illumination on the floor (I though this was cool)

Is there anything else missing?

At this point, it is should I take the range or the extra features? Are those features needed? Can anyone with a CA1 tell me if the range is actually good?

Also, is the B&O sound that much better?

Sorry for the many questions, I am spiraling a bit with how stressed I am over all of this haha.
Sponsored

AjzRide

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR 2021 MME Premium RWD
Occupation
Eng
Country flag
From my previous experience with cars, don't compromise, you will only wind up trading up and costing yourself money. I was in the same boat as you after almost puling trigger on a CR1 I found in stock (until the dealer wouldn't come off of a $5K ADM) and decided to track down a Rapid Red Premium RWD Extended Range. It took me about a week but I managed to find one. I wrote up my lessons' learned here:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/what-i-learned-searching-for-a-mach-e-in-may-of-2021.5913/

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I have a CR1 and the only regret I have is the heated seats/dteering wheel, but I live in NJ where it actually gets below freezing - in SoCal I don't think that is a feature you're going to miss. If you've never had the "kick to open" rear liftgate, I don't know that you will miss that either. I am not an audiophile so won't comment on the sound system other than to say if sounds good to me.

I had a Select with tech package on order originally, and I am glad I ended up getting the extra range. I live 2 hours from NYC, Baltimore, and my wife's sister in PA - it is really nice being to go there and back on a single charge (especially her sister's because there aren't any convenient chargers along the way). I haven't seen a charge curve for the SR battery, but for road trips the expected 30% faster DCFC on the ER means the charging stops are less annoying. Planning out a trip you can do a long stop at lunch, two 20 minute stops in the afternoon, and then a long stop at dinnertime.

*** EDIT
One thing that my wife doesn't like is the 4 way seat - she says it is too low for her. I also am not a big fan of the all black aero covers, but plan to take them off when I get around to it.

Last edited:

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
If you're spending this much money, you should get what you want. If you compromise, you'll always be thinking about what might have been. I didn't see it on your list, but another difference is that the CR1 has the reflector headlights that the IIHS rated as marginal.

monolith10101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier
Country flag
We similarly wanted a Premium ER in IB with dark interior, but we couldn’t find one available. We found a CA Rt 1 in silver (our second color choice), and we jumped on it. We haven’t regretted it.

Heated seats and wheel would occasionally be nice but isn’t needed in Southern California (where we are, too). The non-B&O sound system is not bad at all, so I don’t regret missing out on it. The power rear hatch would be nice but I also haven’t really missed it (our other car has one).

The range for the CA Rt 1 is excellent. Your results may vary, but we have averaged 3.9-4.1 mi/kWh over the 1K miles we have driven it, which has surprised me. That’s 340-360 miles of range. Remember though that the SR RWD will get very good efficiency too, so its actual range may be more than good enough for you in practice.

Everyone’s relative utility for the premium’s extra features is different, so you’ll need to weigh how important each of those are. We love our Rt 1 and haven’t regretted getting it.

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
I live in SoCal as well and went with the Premium Standard Range RWD. The extra features were more important to me. Although people in colder climes think of sunny SoCal as always warm, it is not Hawaii. I can attest to the fact that morning temps during my commute in LA are often in the 40's (sometimes 30's) and the heated seats and steering wheel are really great.

No one can answer the range question for you. I would suggest thinking back over the last year or two and coming up with (a) how many times you have driven over 200 miles in a day, and (b) whether you want to take road trips in the car (and how far might those be?).

I have been driving BEVs for eight years (over 100K miles) that had ranges of 80-90 miles. Great commuter cars, and we have two other ICE cars for road trips. If I had to rely on a BEV for road trips, I would definitely consider the larger battery.

Things will get better in the next few years as more DC chargers come online, but having to pull over for 20, 30, 40 minutes to charge is not really fun IMHO. And that's from an early adopter who has put up with A LOT of charging angst and inconvenience.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
CR1 DOES have the pony on the floor (it isn't animated--is it on the premium)??

Oh and the front blinker's don't wipe...they merely flash (yeah I know that is a deal breaker).

You still can wave at the other Mach-E drivers on the road (and frown at all the Tesla's) so there is that.

Yeah I live in Michigan and still went with the CR1...cold, snow, and all. Picked it up in February and didn't have any issues with the seats or steering wheel feeling cold. In addition its quite fun having RWD in the snow ;)

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
CR1 DOES have the pony on the floor (it isn't animated--is it on the premium)??
Just realized that was in the original "missing list"! Yep, the pony projector lamps are exactly the same as the premium.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Keep in mind it's the 2021 model year that is sold out. I'm not sure when they'll open orders for 2022 but my guess is last week of June or first week of July (because that's when they started taking orders for the 2021 model year).

My guess is you'll be able to order a 2022 model year at that time.

Grabber Blue was only available on First Edition and GT. It wasn't offered on the Premium.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
Laminated glass on the front side windows on the premium. Different wheel size.

OP
OP

Hammy91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Scion
Country flag
I don't think I'd use the extra features the Premium has enough to justify me getting that over the CR1, but they still sound nice XD. Plus the black rims and seat designs have me hesitating.

I found a dealer that will have the IB Premium Extended Battery (Grey Interior, an okay compromise since I have always liked how it looks, I just wanted black because I don't trust the color staying that color) in about 3-4 weeks (and it looks to be available to sale according to the sales guy) BUT he told me the price was $58,000 something! that is pre-taxes and pre-registration fees AND around $4,000 more than what the Ford website would tell me when I'd mess around with the order feature. Ughh. About to quit. They do have a demo one (standard battery) but it only has half the miles so far.

How do you guys do it? This is the exact reason I have put off buying a new car for years.

monolith10101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier
Country flag
I don't think I'd use the extra features the Premium has enough to justify me getting that over the CR1, but they still sound nice XD. Plus the black rims and seat designs have me hesitating.

I found a dealer that will have the IB Premium Extended Battery (Grey Interior, an okay compromise since I have always liked how it looks, I just wanted black because I don't trust the color staying that color) in about 3-4 weeks (and it looks to be available to sale according to the sales guy) BUT he told me the price was $58,000 something! that is pre-taxes and pre-registration fees AND around $4,000 more than what the Ford website would tell me when I'd mess around with the order feature. Ughh. About to quit. They do have a demo one (standard battery) but it only has half the miles so far.

How do you guys do it? This is the exact reason I have put off buying a new car for years.
You’re going to need to search dealer websites for inventory and call them to check availability, and have them notify you as models which meet your preferences become available. You should also ask if they are selling at MSRP or with markup, and if they take Ford Options.

It takes quite a bit of checking what’s out there, keeping in touch with dealers, and trying to identify which ones seem most likely to sell near MSRP.

OP
OP

Hammy91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Scion
Country flag
You’re going to need to search dealer websites for inventory and call them to check availability, and have them notify you as models which meet your preferences become available. You should also ask if they are selling at MSRP or with markup, and if they take Ford Options.

It takes quite a bit of checking what’s out there, keeping in touch with dealers, and trying to identify which ones seem most likely to sell near MSRP.
Yes, unfortunately I learned that when I called a dealer based off what their website said and that ended up being totally incorrect. I am definitely not liking this process. Really wish the online ordering process was more refined and streamlined.

In my searching, I have seen some asking for $10,000 above MSRP. That is WILD!
Sponsored