TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This has been an ongoing issue discussed in other threads, and I thought it deserved it's own thread.

The problem is getting into the car and finding that 2 of the 4 sound settings always revert back to their default setting: TONE and BALANCE. Oddly, SPEED COMPENSATED VOLUME and STEREO/SURROUND seem to work OK.

I've done a lot of testing this morning trying to nail it down. It turns out that the TONE and BALANCE setting are actually saving to the driver profile, but for whatever reason they're not kicking in when getting in the car. It's detecting the right driver, per the avatar at the top of the screen. The seats and mirrors are moving correctly to match that profile. As are the radio/SXM presets, etc. But for whatever reason, the TONE and BALANCE settings aren't getting implemented from the driver profile.

One way to confirm that is to manually switch to a different driver profile via the 1-2-3 buttons on the driver door. When I press #3 it switches everything to that profile, then I hit #1 and it switches back to my profile, with the correct TONE and BALANCE. So manually switching it to a different # then back to #1 is a workaround for now.

Another workaround is to turn Personal Profiles OFF altogether. That's what I may do until this is all fixed. I have to set a bunch of other settings now too that were tied to my profile, but since I'm the main driver and we share most the same settings anyway, that may work best. Looks like the seat and mirror settings will still automatically change according to which fob is used (maybe PAAK too but I haven't tried that).

I don't know if just some cars are having this issue or all of them. I know others have mentioned it too. If you're having that problem, try switching to a different 1-2-3 door button, then back, and see if that works. Curious if others are finding the same thing.
Sponsored

MParkour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 RR Mustang GT 2017 Tacoma 2021 RR MME FE
Country flag
I am having that problem also, thanks for the tip. I'll try it out today!

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
My tone and balance settings seem to be ok. The positioning always returns to default as does the preset list. I tried the seat thing and I don't think that helps if you shut down the car and come back later, but I think the main issue with the system is in the "auto save" system, rather than a simple "save" button based system. The auto save feature simply doesn't work/stick on many things. It cripples the profile feature and makes setting your preferred settings (of whioch there are many) almost impossible without muchtrial and error and remembering where you started from, other than the seat and mirrors. In three words, I hate it. Please Ford add a simple Save feature, that works.

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My tone and balance settings seem to be ok. The positioning always returns to default as does the preset list. I tried the seat thing and I don't think that helps if you shut down the car and come back later, but I think the main issue with the system is in the "auto save" system, rather than a simple "save" button based system. The auto save feature simply doesn't work/stick on many things. It cripples the profile feature and makes setting your preferred settings (of whioch there are many) almost impossible without muchtrial and error and remembering where you started from, other than the seat and mirrors. In three words, I hate it. Please Ford add a simple Save feature, that works.
What are a few of the other settings you're seeing that don't seem to save to your driver profile? Did you try pushing a different 1-2-3 button (not holding it to set it, but just touching it to implement the different profile), then hitting #1 again (assuming your profile is #1)?

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
What are a few of the other settings you're seeing that don't seem to save to your driver profile? Did you try pushing a different 1-2-3 button (not holding it to set it, but just touching it to implement the different profile), then hitting #1 again (assuming your profile is #1)?
yes 2 and back to 1. I don't think it really does anything but the seats and mirrors and maybe just coincidence in your tests. Plus, as soon as youn make a couple temporary changes while driving, other than your seat position, if you don't remember what changes to set back, they get auto saved? What kinda dopey system is that?

Ambient lights, # of lines setting of sirius favorites, sound positioning, phone as key in general, apps listed in your profile page are some. Others on the forum has mentioned some others.

And audio related, try plugging in a usb drive and scrolling the mp3's is disabled if driving. Same with your phones contact list.

Last edited:

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
yes 2 and back to 1. I don't think it really does anything but the seats and mirrors and maybe just coincidence in your tests. Plus, as soon as youn make a couple temporary changes while driving, other than your seat position, if you don't remember what changes to set back, they get auto saved? What kinda dopey system is that?

Ambient lights, # of lines setting of sirius favorites, sound positioning, phone as key in general, apps listed in your profile page are some. Others on the forum has mentioned some others.

And audio related, try plugging in a usb drive and scrolling the mp3's is disabled if driving. Same with your phones contact list.
I haven't tried all those things, but I have tried a few. They were all saving to my Personal Profile, just not always activating when I got in and started the car. Switching to a different 1-2-3 and back makes them kick in. Been able to repeat it multiple times now.

Yours may be yet another problem.

I've since just turned Personal Profiles OFF. Now I don't have to switch between 1-2-3 profiles to get anything to kick in. So far everything is just the way I left it when I get back in the car later (i.e. it's working). TONE/BALANCE, # of SXM lines, presets, even Android Auto seems to be connecting more dependably so far (although only about 3 tests today).

Maybe try that (turning Personal Profiles OFF) and see if things keep failing to stick?

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
That would be funny. Might try that, but what is at the top of the screen where your profile icon was? What is the default display now?

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
To be honest profiles have not worked for me yet - as I am unable to save any settings specific to a given profile. I go to my wife's profile, disable 1PD, set screen to auto - no place to save. I turn off the car and start again and select my profile - but the 1PD and screens show what I set for my wife not what I had for mine. So at this point the profiles just save the seat memories and phones associated. Cant figure this out yet.

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That would be funny. Might try that, but what is at the top of the screen where your profile icon was? What is the default display now?
It looks like a regular profile screen (same apps and all that), except the avatar at the top is just 6 dots. Still picks up whatever phone is paired, and it's apps (like AA and iHeartRadio, in my case).

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
To be honest profiles have not worked for me yet - as I am unable to save any settings specific to a given profile. I go to my wife's profile, disable 1PD, set screen to auto - no place to save. I turn off the car and start again and select my profile - but the 1PD and screens show what I set for my wife not what I had for mine. So at this point the profiles just save the seat memories and phones associated. Cant figure this out yet.
When working, settings get saved just by whatever they were last set to (while in that active profile).

If you haven't already tried it, do what I did above... set some things in your profile the way you want; exit the car and leave it sit for 10+ minutes (seems to act differently if you don't let the power-downs totally time out); then get back & power up, wait a minute, then hit door button #3 (to switch profiles), and back to your #1. That'll confirm whether your settings actually saved earlier rather than just not implemented when you get in the car.

I was surprised that my TONE and BALANCE settings really did save to my profile, they just weren't getting implemented at startup.

This car takes a good 30-60 seconds to boot up. Kind of annoying. This is pure speculation, but I'm guessing that could be the problem -- that certain functions are attempting to activate at startup before the systems they're controlling are ready to accept the commands. Seems like that might be the issue with Android Auto not always connecting. If I wait a little longer after getting in the car to start it, seems like AA is able to connect more dependably. Just a guess.

Last edited:

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
When working, settings get saved just by whatever they were last set to (while in that active profile).

If you haven't already tried it, do what I did above... set some things in your profile the way you want; exit the car and leave it sit for 10+ minutes (seems to act differently if you don't let the power-downs totally time out); then get back & power up, wait a minute, then hit door button #3 (to switch profiles), and back to your #1. That'll confirm whether your settings actually saved earlier rather than just not implemented when you get in the car.

I was surprised that my TONE and BALANCE settings really did save to my profile, they just weren't getting implemented at startup.

This car takes a good 30-60 seconds to boot up. Kind of annoying. This is pure speculation, but I'm guessing that could be the problem -- that certain functions are attempting to active at startup before the systems they're controlling are ready to accept the commands. Seems like that might be the issue with Android Auto not always connecting. If I wait a little longer after getting in the car to start it, seems like AA is able to connect more dependably. Just a guess.
ok will try thanks

SoriceConsulting

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sorice.com
Vehicles
2023 GTPE, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
This has been an ongoing issue discussed in other threads, and I thought it deserved it's own thread.

The problem is getting into the car and finding that 2 of the 4 sound settings always revert back to their default setting: TONE and BALANCE. Oddly, SPEED COMPENSATED VOLUME and STEREO/SURROUND seem to work OK.

I've done a lot of testing this morning trying to nail it down. It turns out that the TONE and BALANCE setting are actually saving to the driver profile, but for whatever reason they're not kicking in when getting in the car. It's detecting the right driver, per the avatar at the top of the screen. The seats and mirrors are moving correctly to match that profile. As are the radio/SXM presets, etc. But for whatever reason, the TONE and BALANCE settings aren't getting implemented from the driver profile.

One way to confirm that is to manually switch to a different driver profile via the 1-2-3 buttons on the driver door. When I press #3 it switches everything to that profile, then I hit #1 and it switches back to my profile, with the correct TONE and BALANCE. So manually switching it to a different # then back to #1 is a workaround for now.

Another workaround is to turn Personal Profiles OFF altogether. That's what I may do until this is all fixed. I have to set a bunch of other settings now too that were tied to my profile, but since I'm the main driver and we share most the same settings anyway, that may work best. Looks like the seat and mirror settings will still automatically change according to which fob is used (maybe PAAK too but I haven't tried that).

I don't know if just some cars are having this issue or all of them. I know others have mentioned it too. If you're having that problem, try switching to a different 1-2-3 door button, then back, and see if that works. Curious if others are finding the same thing.
Curious... if you can test - don't have my MME yet :^(

What if you create the exact same profile for 1 and 2? If you have it at 1 and then switch to 2, do you get the proper Tone/Balance settings? That would be a workaround until a fix is put out OTA.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Settings save if you turn off the profile and just save settings in general mode. Kind of the opposite of the way it should work.

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Curious... if you can test - don't have my MME yet :^(

What if you create the exact same profile for 1 and 2? If you have it at 1 and then switch to 2, do you get the proper Tone/Balance settings? That would be a workaround until a fix is put out OTA.
I've turned Personal Profiles off altogether now, but I think the answer is probably yes. I was doing almost that same thing (switching to #3, then back to #1). I even saved a slightly different seat setting for #3 so I knew it was kicking in when swapping between them. The TONE and BALANCE were changing too. Pressing the 1-2-3 buttons "forced" the profile to implement, but only if actually being changed away from the current profile. Meaning I couldn't just hit #1 to reload #1.

What you suggest would save a step (just set #1 and #2 the same and they switch to #2 when getting in. But that might cause conflict with linking the same phone to 2 different driver profiles (if you are linking your phone). Just hitting #3 then #1 eliminates that potential issue.

But I'm kinda liking just having Personal Profiles turned off altogether.

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Settings save if you turn off the profile and just save settings in general mode. Kind of the opposite of the way it should work.
My settings were saving to the profiles. They just weren't all implementing when getting in the car.
Sponsored