GuliblGuy

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black 2021 Premium 4X Mach E
Country flag
Just returned from a ~2000 mile round trip from Orange County CA to Albany/Portland OR.

Decided to take 99 up to my stop over at a friends house in Chico/Magalia CA as there are more charging options and it’s less travelled than I5 so I felt better about rolling into potentially busy stations with a wait.

Planned out the trip in the car’s trip planner and ABRP. Trusted ABRP way more than the car, as it would route to random chargers that were not high powered sometimes, or to the Rivian charging network which we can’t use (Ford says they are working on removing them…). I exported my legs of the trip from ABRP to excel and printed those out with notes about the address of the charger and just manually added the next charging stops in the car. Used the built in nav when heading to a charger so it would precondition the battery, though I never saw any Exterior Temp usage in my stats so not sure if it was really doing much of anything in this mild weather.

Left Tustin CA at 100% charge on Wed 5/24 and headed to the first stop in Tulare CA, driving around 73 mph most of the way, a little slower on my way up the grapevine so I didn’t use too much energy, and then speeding up between 75-80 as I got closer to the charger and had plenty of buffer.

Made it to Tulare with 15% and 37 miles remaining, where I got my slowest charge of the trip, 150 kWh charger maxing at 73 kWh speed. Station was empty. Charged to about 70% and was heading to Turlock, but kept checking the EA app and it was full, and also had to use the restroom, so stopped before that at Atwater and charged to about 70%.
Tulare stop:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Southern California to Oregon and back 2000 mile road trip in  2021 Premium 4X Mach E 1st stop charge

Next stop was going to be the Yuba City EA, but as I got closer I kept plugging in Chico to the nav and at first was neg 12 miles on the buffer, but as it is always pessimistic it eventually got to even and then by the time I hit Yuba I had a 5 mile buffer so I decided to just go for it! Found a couple trucks that were going a decent speed so I got behind them here and there, and made it to Chico with 4% on the battery!
Ford Mustang Mach-E Southern California to Oregon and back 2000 mile road trip in  2021 Premium 4X Mach E chico arrival

Had lunch with friends, plugged into free Lvl 2 charger for a couple hours, and then drove to their house in Magalia for the night. They let me plug in there, but due to our late arrival and when their TOU kicked in I couldn’t start charging until midnight, and left about 530 the next morning. Was planning on 90-100% for blast off, but was only 65% when I left. That meant I couldn’t go straight to Yreka as I had planned, so pulled an audible and went to Anderson to charge up for a bit, then hit Yreka as that was what ABRB had planned for me.

After that it was off to Sutherlin OR where I had my first full station and a wait. A nice lady in the only other Mach E I saw charging on the trip was about done, so only waited 6-8 min or so then plugged in when she left, and got a charge to about 60% which was enough to get me to my Dad’s in Albany OR. Charged at the Wal Mart in town so I had some walkin’ around electricity, and there I got my fastest charge yet. Those newer EA units are nice as well because it shows you what the car is requesting vs what is being delivered so you can see where the problem is if it seems slower than you think it should be.
Sutherlin stop:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Southern California to Oregon and back 2000 mile road trip in  2021 Premium 4X Mach E Sutherlin

Albany EA speeds
Ford Mustang Mach-E Southern California to Oregon and back 2000 mile road trip in  2021 Premium 4X Mach E Albany

From there it was a trip up to the Portland area the next day, and then Siletz at the coast the day after, and a few more local places, and then took off early Tues for Magalia again, and spent the night and headed back to OC yesterday. Basically same chargers on way up but in reverse.

Bakersfield would be my last charging stop before home, and the EA app kept showing the station as full (1 dispenser broken and 3 others in use), but I had no other options and was just hoping there wasn’t a long wait. I pulled in and a Bolt was waiting to charge, and someone was just unplugging and he took that spot. I parked and waited…getting out to check the other cars and see what their % was.

To my surprise the Rivian there was not charging and just idling. As time went on I was getting more p*ssed about waiting for no reason…finally he came out with his girlfriend, gave her a long kiss goodbye, and sauntered over to his truck. By this point an EQE had shown up and was now next after me…he tried to talk to me a bit about my car when I pointedly asked if he was done charging and got in and started my car to move into place………VERY frustrating that a local was clearly just not caring about others on road trips.

All in all everything worked pretty well at EA stations, just a couple times had some faults, and had to wait 2 times for a spot to charge. Car did great and was surprised driving over 70 had 3.0 average efficiency for the trip. Here are my stats from the overall trip back OR down to SoCal.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Southern California to Oregon and back 2000 mile road trip in  2021 Premium 4X Mach E return trip back stats

Last edited:

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag

J&S K

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e
Country flag
Just returned from a ~2000 mile round trip from Orange County CA to Albany/Portland OR.

Decided to take 99 up to my stop over at a friends house in Chico/Magalia CA as there are more charging options and it’s less travelled than I5 so I felt better about rolling into potentially busy stations with a wait.

Planned out the trip in the car’s trip planner and ABRP. Trusted ABRP way more than the car, as it would route to random chargers that were not high powered sometimes, or to the Rivian charging network which we can’t use (Ford says they are working on removing them…). I exported my legs of the trip from ABRP to excel and printed those out with notes about the address of the charger and just manually added the next charging stops in the car. Used the built in nav when heading to a charger so it would precondition the battery, though I never saw any Exterior Temp usage in my stats so not sure if it was really doing much of anything in this mild weather.

Left Tustin CA at 100% charge on Wed 5/24 and headed to the first stop in Tulare CA, driving around 73 mph most of the way, a little slower on my way up the grapevine so I didn’t use too much energy, and then speeding up between 75-80 as I got closer to the charger and had plenty of buffer.

Made it to Tulare with 15% and 37 miles remaining, where I got my slowest charge of the trip, 150 kWh charger maxing at 73 kWh speed. Station was empty. Charged to about 70% and was heading to Turlock, but kept checking the EA app and it was full, and also had to use the restroom, so stopped before that at Atwater and charged to about 70%.
Tulare stop:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Southern California to Oregon and back 2000 mile road trip in  2021 Premium 4X Mach E IMG_3165

Next stop was going to be the Yuba City EA, but as I got closer I kept plugging in Chico to the nav and at first was neg 12 miles on the buffer, but as it is always pessimistic it eventually got to even and then by the time I hit Yuba I had a 5 mile buffer so I decided to just go for it! Found a couple trucks that were going a decent speed so I got behind them here and there, and made it to Chico with 4% on the battery!
Ford Mustang Mach-E Southern California to Oregon and back 2000 mile road trip in  2021 Premium 4X Mach E IMG_3165

Had lunch with friends, plugged into free Lvl 2 charger for a couple hours, and then drove to their house in Magalia for the night. They let me plug in there, but due to our late arrival and when their TOU kicked in I couldn’t start charging until midnight, and left about 530 the next morning. Was planning on 90-100% for blast off, but was only 65% when I left. That meant I couldn’t go straight to Yreka as I had planned, so pulled an audible and went to Anderson to charge up for a bit, then hit Yreka as that was what ABRB had planned for me.

After that it was off to Sutherlin OR where I had my first full station and a wait. A nice lady in the only other Mach E I saw charging on the trip was about done, so only waited 6-8 min or so then plugged in when she left, and got a charge to about 60% which was enough to get me to my Dad’s in Albany OR. Charged at the Wal Mart in town so I had some walkin’ around electricity, and there I got my fastest charge yet. Those newer EA units are nice as well because it shows you what the car is requesting vs what is being delivered so you can see where the problem is if it seems slower than you think it should be.
Sutherlin stop:

Albany EA speeds

From there it was a trip up to the Portland area the next day, and then Siletz at the coast the day after, and a few more local places, and then took off early Tues for Magalia again, and spent the night and headed back to OC yesterday. Basically same chargers on way up but in reverse.

Bakersfield would be my last charging stop before home, and the EA app kept showing the station as full (1 dispenser broken and 3 others in use), but I had no other options and was just hoping there wasn’t a long wait. I pulled in and a Bolt was waiting to charge, and someone was just unplugging and he took that spot. I parked and waited…getting out to check the other cars and see what their % was.

To my surprise the Rivian there was not charging and just idling. As time went on I was getting more p*ssed about waiting for no reason…finally he came out with his girlfriend, gave her a long kiss goodbye, and sauntered over to his truck. By this point an EQE had shown up and was now next after me…he tried to talk to me a bit about my car when I pointedly asked if he was done charging and got in and started my car to move into place………VERY frustrating that a local was clearly just not caring about others on road trips.

All in all everything worked pretty well at EA stations, just a couple times had some faults, and had to wait 2 times for a spot to charge. Car did great and was surprised driving over 70 had 3.0 average efficiency for the trip. Here are my overall stats from the overall trip back OR down to SoCal.

J&S K

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e
Country flag
I noticed you mentioned " Used the built in nav when heading to a charger so it would precondition the battery, ". How does this work? The Ford Nav app knows you are going to charger based on the address entered and then pre-conditions the battery for optimal charging?

Also you mentioned "ABRP", curious have you found this better App for planning than Plug Share?

We are planning on a trip from San Diego to Lake Tahoe in a couple of weeks, so looking closely at charger availability.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I noticed you mentioned " Used the built in nav when heading to a charger so it would precondition the battery, ". How does this work? The Ford Nav app knows you are going to charger based on the address entered and then pre-conditions the battery for optimal charging?

Also you mentioned "ABRP", curious have you found this better App for planning than Plug Share?

We are planning on a trip from San Diego to Lake Tahoe in a couple of weeks, so looking closely at charger availability.
The built-in Ford Navigation system is currently the only way to start a battery preconditioning session en route to a DCFC. The car will automatically start the session about half an hour before reaching the Charger location if it was set in the Nav system. 😊🐩

ABRP (A Better Route Planner) is great. It does some things that PlugShare doesn’t. I keep ABRP, PlugShare, and ChargeHub on my phone for route planning, as each as some features the others don’t. 😊🐩

J&S K

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e
Country flag
The built-in Ford Navigation system is currently the only way to start a battery preconditioning session en route to a DCFC. The car will automatically start the session about half an hour before reaching the Charger location if it was set in the Nav system. 😊🐩

ABRP (A Better Route Planner) is great. It does some things that PlugShare doesn’t. I keep ABRP, PlugShare, and ChargeHub on my phone for route planning, as each as some features the others don’t. 😊🐩
thank you. I will load all three planners. Just played around with ABRP and liked it view of charging locations, time to charge, and the easy ability to add way points. Looks like a great planning app.

KPal64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium
Country flag
I recently traveled from Dallas to Phoenix to the Grand Canyon and back with no charging issues and relied primarily on Apple Maps via CarPlay. I found it to be much more accurate on battery usage (amazingly accurate) and significantly better than Ford navigation. Ford nav is a joke; the number of times it told me to exit the highway and immediately get back on or turn on a road not yet constructed was ridiculous.

I also didn’t notice any difference in pre-conditioning versus not pre-conditioning in warmer temps.

Last edited:

jksu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium STD RWD Shadow Black
Country flag
great report and gives me more courage to road trip more. the recent tesla announcement is nice but is probably at least 9 months away. i've had good experiences with EA chargers in terms of plug n play. we just need more of them.

i'm hoping apple and ford can coordinate an OTA update to get the preconditioning set up for apple maps routing to EA chargers.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Nice writeup!

I'm getting ready to take a similar trip. Starting in northern AZ and going into the LA valley and then up the 5 to the 99 to Redding. I'll be taking the 99 for similar reasons...also, it's just a less stressful highway for me. The trip will be a total of about 2300 miles for us since we'll be driving around at the two main destinations. It won't be the longest trip the Mustang has been on, but it'll be fun.
Sponsored