katumba1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Infinite Blue, 2018 Expedition
Country flag
Is purchasing a donut rim/tire even an option for an EV? Too much weight? Really don't like the idea of not having a spare. Living in NV and going on a road trip around here is not a good option. Lots of places don't even have cell service, and waiting for roadside in the event of a blow-out would be hours if not longer.
Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Is purchasing a donut rim/tire even an option for an EV? Too much weight? Really don't like the idea of not having a spare. Living in NV and going on a road trip around here is not a good option. Lots of places don't even have cell service, and waiting for roadside in the event of a blow-out would be hours if not longer.
I agree that having a spare is comforting. When I got my C-Max, I was really concerned, and considered buying one. However, in 6+ years, I never actually needed one. C-Max came with a compressor (I think Mach-E does too), helped the 2 times my tire was damaged and developed a leak. And of course if you have 2 tire blowout, the spare is just useful as not having one.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag

Daraiders76

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Premium, 2008 Acura MDX, 2002 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
I agree that having a spare is comforting. When I got my C-Max, I was really concerned, and considered buying one. However, in 6+ years, I never actually needed one. C-Max came with a compressor (I think Mach-E does too), helped the 2 times my tire was damaged and developed a leak. And of course if you have 2 tire blowout, the spare is just useful as not having one.
It does come with one for sure. I asked about a spare- "There is no spare but it comes with a compressor"- It's in the rear cargo are under the floor compartment where you would expect a spare to be.

OP
OP

katumba1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Just had a blow out coming back from UT, so 'often'? Even if it never happens, the thought of being in a remote location in summer w/o one is not a good idea. Maybe something like this? https://www.amazon.com/2017-2018-Tesla-Complete-Spare-Carrying/dp/B07KS3VLWT
Sure. I have no doubt that Modern Spare will have one available for the Mach-E. If it gives you more piece of mind, go for it.

My last several vehicles haven’t come with spares. At first, it made me nervous, but then I realized that I’ve only needed a spare once in 30 years of driving. I’m okay having to deal with roadside assistance if it’s only once every 30 years. If it happened more often, I’m sure I’d have a different opinion.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
I got a flat on my Ford ranger on my way to take my organic chemistry final many years ago. Luckily the Ford Ranger had a full size spare under the bed, all you had to do was use the tire iron and lower the tire.

Unluckily the mechanism to lower the tire was frozen solid and so that wonderful spare did me no good!

Then many years later, my wife got a flat in a parking garage. No problem since our insurance has free roadside assistance. Unfortunately when the tow truck showed up the parking garage didn't have clearance for the truck. By that time I was able to show up to save the day. Jacked up the car and was about to change the tire only to realize her rims used splines and the lug wrench didn't fit. I ended up buying a plug kit and just plugging the leak.

Long story to say, a spare is nice when you need it, but there can still be issues. Might be different if I lived in a more rural area.

NoMoShocks

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier EV, 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander GT PHEV
Occupation
Electrical product safety engineer
Country flag
I am a fan of having a spare. Added one to my Bolt and the weight is low compared to a passenger. It only take one dark night waiting two hours for a tow truck to realize no matter how rare a flat may be, a spare is a good idea. Also note that tire inflator pumps that run tire sealant through the pump are designed for a single use and will cost more to replace than the tire.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
have you EVER had a blowout, in the last 20 years ?
I can honestly say I have never had even a flat on a highway trip, and only a couple slow leaks in town from picking up nails at a couple construction sites on work trips.

OP
OP

katumba1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
have you EVER had a blowout, in the last 20 years ?
I can honestly say I have never had even a flat on a highway trip, and only a couple slow leaks in town from picking up nails at a couple construction sites on work trips.
NM has to be the same as NV: lots of road w/ no cell reception, and really hot pavement. We go on long trips a lot. Just the thought of having an issue middle of the night, no cell, no traffic, no spare... Not worth the stress for a couple bucks and a few lbs in the back. Can take it out around town. Theres a reason there are so many husks of blown out tires on the side of the road.

digdug52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E 4X, 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I bought a Modern Spare kit for my Model 3 to use on road trips, just to reduce the time to repair in case of a flat tire. In town, I don't carry it in the car, easy enough to call roadside service. I plan to do the same with the Mach-E.