Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Well no one WANTS to wait 3 hours for a tow truck.

But I don’t think many want to carry a full size spare around either in the cab.

Would a deflated donut fit in the frunk? Then use an inflator in case of severe tire damage?
Look ... I'm not going to get a spare. I don't want a big tire in the trunk. If they made the trunk about 2 inches deeper, or if the frunk (which I will probably never use in my life) was a bit deeper then I would probably get one.

It's the "trend" that bothers me. To some of us it's like a middle finger. To other's and city dwelers it's probably a very welcome change. I also don't like the use of fake leather and so much plastic in the cabin... so consider me salty. Just like some of you wish magna was an option on non-GT, other's wish white seats were an option on GT's and other's wish they could get a lit up pony... Some of us wish we could have a spare tire because we don't want to wait for a tow.

You know what they say about opinions ... I just happen to agree whole heartedly with the OP on this one.
Sponsored

jsteach

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME S/W EB AWD ,2017 Honda accord touring v-6
Occupation
Retired. 40 year automotive/ service
Country flag
Should be ok!! As long as bead doesn't jump off. May take some doing to get the bead perfect to inflate with tiny air inflater. Tire changers use 150 psi and more air blast to set bead.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
You ever been outside of a city? Those areas do exist. Like I said previously, I would rather not wait 3 hours for a tow truck. Has nothing to do with cell phones or roadside for many of us.

Yesterday the UPS driver got stuck in the mud at my house. Took the tow 4 hours to get here. At least it kept the goats entertained ?

PXL_20211025_203949797.MP.jpg
I have and I grew up out in the country with a lot of dirt roads. But I haven't needed to repair a flat in 20+ years and I'm not willing to carry a spare for another 20 years just to save the wait time for road-side assistance if the inflater & fix-a-flat can doesn't work.

My idea of a tire repair kit would contain a bottle of vodka, some olives, a cocktail shaker, and the phone number of the auto-club. ?

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I have and I grew up out in the country with a lot of dirt roads. But I haven't needed to repair a flat in 20+ years and I'm not willing to carry a spare for another 20 years just to save the wait time for road-side assistance if the inflater & fix-a-flat can doesn't work.

My idea of a tire repair kit would contain a bottle of vodka, some olives, a cocktail shaker, and the phone number of the auto-club. ?
Consider yourself lucky. I've had 5 flats in the last 3 years. I drive about 20k a year though. Granted 4 of them could have been repaired with a sealer (maybe). One was a complete sidewall tear.

Lcanderson

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium ER AWD (Ordered)
Country flag
Been driving for 25 years and the one time I needed the spare tire, it was almost as flat as the tire I needed to replace. So I actually prefer more storage and less weight/more range.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Consider yourself lucky. I've had 5 flats in the last 3 years. I drive about 20k a year though. Granted 4 of them could have been repaired with a sealer (maybe). One was a complete sidewall tear.
That is a lot of miles ... but still ... 5 flat sin 3 years? I thought Michigan potholes were bad. What are you driving over?

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
That is a lot of miles ... but still ... 5 flat sin 3 years? I thought Michigan potholes were bad. What are you driving over?
Maybe you've never driven on California roads? We are ranked consistently as having the worst roads in America. We have some cities in CA charging $8.50 a gallon for premium, with the highest gas taxes in the nation. That money goes to our road crews to stand around and watch 1 guy work while the other 10 "supervise". Next year it will be 20 "supervising" so they can claim unemployment numbers went down...

Ok but to be fair, a lot of the work I do is at hospitals. 3 of those flats were after leaving hospitals with construction projects going on and it was a screw/nail in the tire. One was a blowout from a pothole and the other was while I was 500 miles from home on vacation and I have no idea how it happened.

We won't count the 6th from the deployed spike strip (just kidding) ?

Last edited:

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Maybe you've never driven on California roads? We are ranked consistently as having the worst roads in America.
Michigan roads are also extremely bad. Only part of our gas tax actually goes to roads. Most of it goes to education (which is also in trouble). Every time a politician runs for office and promises to fix the roads ... they have to figure out where they are going to get the money. And nobody wants a tax hike to pay for it -- so it never happens.

stlippert

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Red AWD ER
Country flag
For better or worse, I bought ModernSpare's product and carry it with me. I hope I never need it, but it's peace of mind. All my prior cars had spares. I've only had to use one when I drove my wife's car over a spike in the ground. The tire was destroyed. To each his own.

OP
OP

MargaritavilleNH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT (Aug build week-Oct delivery)
Country flag
For better or worse, I bought ModernSpare's product and carry it with me. I hope I never need it, but it's peace of mind. All my prior cars had spares. I've only had to use one when I drove my wife's car over a spike in the ground. The tire was destroyed. To each his own.
It looks like it's more the size of a donut spare (which I would prefer) than a regular tire. Is that correct? Did you buy just the tire or the whole package? If so, what do they charge for just the tire?

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Runflats are the way to go. They have come a long way.

if something happens to your tire you can keep driving for at least 50 miles. Just much safer especially if my wife is driving.

I used to hate them and wished for regular tires when they first came out as they were very stiff. No longer a problem now.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
Runflats are the way to go. They have come a long way.

if something happens to your tire you can keep driving for at least 50 miles. Just much safer especially if my wife is driving.

I used to hate them and wished for regular tires when they first came out as they were very stiff. No longer a problem now.
Correct solution.

tman

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT
Country flag
I understand the worry though I don't need one for myself. However, there's one caveat I'd like to throw in.

This vehicle is HEAVY. When you consider how you will swap out the wheel & tire, you need to also give some serious thought to how you will get that wheel in the air for the swap.

For my wife's 4Runner, we do bring along a 1.5 ton jack on road trips (lots of very long highways in TX) but I'm not sure it would be adequate to the task of a MME. ?

smartino

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RR Mach E First Edition, 2017 Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It looks like it's more the size of a donut spare (which I would prefer) than a regular tire. Is that correct? Did you buy just the tire or the whole package? If so, what do they charge for just the tire?
It is a donut definitely not a full size tire. You can just bite the tire and wheel for 364.95
Sponsored