Speed sign said 65 mph car said 85 mph, yikes!!

crownmountain

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium 2WD ER, 2022 MINI Cooper S EV
Occupation
Industrial network architect
Country flag
On NC-147 south bound when the speed changed from 55 mph to 65 mph the car said it was 85 and began to accelerate to 85 immediately till i tapped the brakes. Soooo glad I was not tailgating. Sent a message to Ford via Twitter since I could not get hold of a concierge on a Sunday evening.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Speed sign said 65 mph car said 85 mph, yikes!! IMG_0268
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
On NC-147 south bound when the speed changed from 55 mph to 65 mph the car said it was 85 and began to accelerate to 85 immediately till i tapped the brakes. Soooo glad I was not tailgating. Sent a message to Ford via Twitter since I could not get hold of a concierge on a Sunday evening.

If you were tailgating, your speed would have remained the same since following distance takes precedence over acceleration.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag

What did the cop say??

OP
OP
crownmountain

crownmountain

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
If you were tailgating, your speed would have remained the same since following distance takes precedence over acceleration.
Great point! I was actually about to find that out as I was climbing up on traffic quickly. Hit the brakes first.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
Some people insist the car reads the speed limit signs, there is something written to that effect in the manual I believe. My experience from the last 800 mile trip, the car hasn't read a single speed limit sign that was different from the maps. There were more than a dozen signs either temporary reducing speed or speed reduction on some sharp curves, the car ignored them all. At the same time the car apparently saw some phantom signs suddenly reducing speed to 55 on 65 freeway without any signs.

OP
OP
crownmountain

crownmountain

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Some people insist the car reads the speed limit signs, there is something written to that effect in the manual I believe. My experience from the last 800 mile trip, the car hasn't read a single speed limit sign that was different from the maps. There were more than a dozen signs either temporary reducing speed or speed reduction on some sharp curves, the car ignored them all. At the same time the car apparently saw some phantom signs suddenly reducing speed to 55 on 65 freeway without any signs.
It is my experience that the speed changes right at the sign. It is my opinion that the signs are geolocated or some similar marking system and the car is given that data for the route. HERE (speed limit data base) is likely the source. If the data is wrong...well there you have it.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag

I like the way this vehicle thinks ?

peoples1234

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE GB
Country flag
It definitely reads the signs. I don’t think it uses map data at all, but YMMV.

6 and 8 look similar enough that if there was a shadow or in the case as I have seen, someone spray painted the 6 into an 8 I could see it as plausible that the car would read it.
It doesn’t read digital signs, it doesn’t read construction signs, and it doesn’t read (usually) the warning signs. It has to be a white regulation speed sign.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
It definitely reads the signs. I don’t think it uses map data at all, but YMMV.

6 and 8 look similar enough that if there was a shadow or in the case as I have seen, someone spray painted the 6 into an 8 I could see it as plausible that the car would read it.
It doesn’t read digital signs, it doesn’t read construction signs, and it doesn’t read (usually) the warning signs. It has to be a white regulation speed sign.
It uses both. Map data, with an attempt to visually read signs, for example in a construction zone.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Had one 35 mph sign that was covered by some trees. It ended up reading 85 mph. Luckily I was paying attention as the driver and quickly tapped the button to cancel the cruise control.

peoples1234

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE GB
Country flag
It uses both. Map data, with an attempt to visually read signs, for example in a construction zone.
I have had the exact opposite experience. Several times when riding beside a tractor trailer blocking the view of the speed limit, the car will not adjust because it did not see the sign. I live in a rural area and when I start driving, there in no indicated speed until I pass a sign. I know there is known speed data because I have seen it on other GPS.

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
In my experience, the car is reading the speed limit signs. This is often very useful, especially when entering construction zones (my MME obediently adjust speeds every time I hit a construction zone). The downside of this is when local jurisdictions have separate speed limits (and separate signs) for cars and semis (e.g., 55 mph limit for semis and 65 mph for cars). My MME will read the lower speed limit sign and reduce speed; I have to override it every few minutes, which is a pain in the butt. This is a problem in Illinois, and probably some other states as well.

I'd like to see the speed limits default to geographic coding instead of optical sign recognition.

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
The same thing happened to me. 85 mph all of a sudden. Hello!

From my experience, there is no doubt the car is reading the signs. Proof lies in going through many construction zones with temporary speed limits set up (orange 55 signs, instead of the normal 65, for example) and the car responds to them, even when the temporary signs are not at the location of the "normal" posted signs.

This type of thing happened so many times it is clear to me that it is reading signs.
Sponsored