Speed sign said 65 mph car said 85 mph, yikes!!

121gigawatts

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Not Soon Enough
Country flag
I've seen my MME update the speed on the dash next to the speedometer reading. Looking over at the android auto maps the speed didn't change, so i know for sure the car is updating the speed. Is it a more updated map system than Google maps? Doubt it. Is it possible the car actually reads the speed signs? I believe it does, at least the regular white background black font ones. I believe that's the entire point of intelligent cruise control.
Sponsored

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
There are some pretty accurate speed database maps out there, augmented by machine vision platforms like Mapillary. Not sure if it reads signs or not, but in a lot of areas the speed limit databases change right with the signs so having it change immediately may not prove either way.

OP, do you have a more precise location or mail pin you can share? I can check a few of the more common map datasets to see if any have an errant 85mph there.

ski99

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90, Prius
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
There are some pretty accurate speed database maps out there, augmented by machine vision platforms like Mapillary. Not sure if it reads signs or not, but in a lot of areas the speed limit databases change right with the signs so having it change immediately may not prove either way.

OP, do you have a more precise location or mail pin you can share? I can check a few of the more common map datasets to see if any have an errant 85mph there.
Let's not debate with opinions over whether the camera system reads speed signs. It does... just pead page 220 of the manual, "Intelligent adaptive cruise control combines SPEED SIGN RECOGNITION". There is also a setting to turn of speed sign recognition if you are interested. My wife's 2019 Volvo also has driver assist with cameras and it recognizes speed signs. This is a common feature these days, so don't be surprised.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Let's not debate with opinions over whether the camera system reads speed signs. It does... just pead page 220 of the manual, "Intelligent adaptive cruise control combines SPEED SIGN RECOGNITION". There is also a setting to turn of speed sign recognition if you are interested. My wife's 2019 Volvo also has driver assist with cameras and it recognizes speed signs. This is a common feature these days, so don't be surprised.
Thanks for the confirmation, I stand corrected. It does seem to have an area for improvement if it is guessing 85mph as the limit, maybe it should be using the database as well?

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
Thanks for the confirmation, I stand corrected. It does seem to have an area for improvement if it is guessing 85mph as the limit, maybe it should be using the database as well?
It would definitely be a good idea to check the observed speed limit signs against the speed limits in the navigation database, and pick the lower of the two.

There are VERY few places in the US that have a speed limit of 85 (None in Virginia, I know that much), so as long as the car thinks that 85 may be a correct read, I cannot use intelligent cruise control.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
It would definitely be a good idea to check the observed speed limit signs against the speed limits in the navigation database, and pick the lower of the two.

There are VERY few places in the US that have a speed limit of 85 (None in Virginia, I know that much), so as long as the car thinks that 85 may be a correct read, I cannot use intelligent cruise control.
I believe Texas is the only place with 85mph, and it is just a few short stretches. Several states have 80mph now, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Nevada at least, but even then, it isn't on that many roads.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Just quoting this here because Ron posting this should end any debate about it (and man, has there been a lot of debate about it on here)...

It uses both. Map data, with an attempt to visually read signs, for example in a construction zone.

Reactions: ARK

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
The same thing happened to me. 85 mph all of a sudden. Hello!

From my experience, there is no doubt the car is reading the signs. Proof lies in going through many construction zones with temporary speed limits set up (orange 55 signs, instead of the normal 65, for example) and the car responds to them, even when the temporary signs are not at the location of the "normal" posted signs.

This type of thing happened so many times it is clear to me that it is reading signs.
Out of curiosity, does anyone have experience with what it does for "speed limit when flashing" signs? Like our little town nearby is 35 MPH, but if the school zone speed limit signs (which look just like the others with the addition of the lights at the top and bottom and a note about "when flashing") are flashing, it's 25. My guess is that it will just decide 25 is it and not understand the flashing lights. Anyone with experience on this one?

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD SR, F150 XLT Special Edition
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
Just quoting this here because Ron posting this should end any debate about it (and man, has there been a lot of debate about it on here)...

We had a first end experience of it while taking our first ride out of town with the MME. Approached a construction zone on a 90km/h road, we had the cruise set at +5km/h, and the car read the orange sign sitting on the side of the road at about 1ft off the ground (temporary sign). The car decreased its speed to 65.... I was impressed!

Also, a little later we went through a small down, the speed dropped to 55km/h, then a car was stopped at a light attempting to turn left, we did nothing and let the car handle it.... it slowed down gradually to a complete stop (no beeps, no flashing things... ahhh peace!!!). When the car turned left, it gradually picked up its speed back to 55....

You need to pay attention, but the cruise control speed management is .... well imo amazing!

digdug52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E 4X, 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Do the Texas interstate have black-on-white and white-on-black combo speed signs? Or was it Arizona, I forget.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Speed sign said 65 mph car said 85 mph, yikes!! 1623703077734

Texas used to have both, but the night speed limit was eliminated 10 years ago.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
It definitely reads the signs. I don’t think it uses map data at all, but YMMV.

6 and 8 look similar enough that if there was a shadow or in the case as I have seen, someone spray painted the 6 into an 8 I could see it as plausible that the car would read it.
It doesn’t read digital signs, it doesn’t read construction signs, and it doesn’t read (usually) the warning signs. It has to be a white regulation speed sign.
Mine does both. There are places on I-75 where the posted speed limit us 70, but at a point in the past the speed limit changed from 55 to 65 there that my car will inexplicably slow to 65 and set itself to 65. That, I am certain is coming from map data.

On the other hand, there is a temporary construction zone on my way home from work, in a 50mph zone, where they put a sign lowering the speed to 40. At that point, the car sets itself to 40 and slows down. But only when that sign is not covered.

It appears to me, that the car is using both systems to figure out what the speed limit is, and I think when there is a conflict it goes with whichever is the lower speed limit. I can’t confirm or verify that, but it seems logical based on what I experience.

TheSeg

First Name
Seg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
seg.fyi
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium EB-RWD (Built: Feb 2021)
Country flag
When I drive home from a certain direction of the freeway, there's a sign for 35 MPH just after I exit. My car then shows 85 MPH for the street sign icon.

While I don't have a photo of the sign (because driving), I noticed the sign as a mostly black sticker placed to the left and middle of the 3. I imagine the image processing blends the black sticker to make it look like an 8, thus 85. Honestly, it's so close and big, I can't blame the system for marking it an 85.

At this point I've already braked, the car isn't going to speed up, so it's not a problem. If the OP passes that area again, see if there's any stickers or other marks that may confuse the 3 for an 8.
Sponsored