Speed sign said 65 mph car said 85 mph, yikes!!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Out of curiosity, does anyone have experience with what it does for "speed limit when flashing" signs? Like our little town nearby is 35 MPH, but if the school zone speed limit signs (which look just like the others with the addition of the lights at the top and bottom and a note about "when flashing") are flashing, it's 25. My guess is that it will just decide 25 is it and not understand the flashing lights. Anyone with experience on this one?
Try it and report back.
Sponsored

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Now we all know why, despite the fact that modern jet aircraft can take off and land themselves, we have TWO pilots in the cockpit.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Not for long. :(
Actually, airliners can't be certified unless they're designed for 2 pilots and no manufacturer has plans to even try to change that. It will always be cheaper to pay pilots than to maintain automation that complicated, and the public saw what happened when just the 727Max developed programing and design issues despite having 2 pilots. Nobody will get on a jet with no windows up front.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Actually, airliners can't be certified unless they're designed for 2 pilots and no manufacturer has plans to even try to change that. It will always be cheaper to pay pilots than to maintain automation that complicated, and the public saw what happened when just the 727Max developed programing and design issues despite having 2 pilots. Nobody will get on a jet with no windows up front.
Check the news...

Cathay Pacific is ordering Single pilot setups for the A350's. It's more complicated than that of course, but that's the soon-to-be reality.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Check the news...

Cathay Pacific is ordering Single pilot setups for the A350's. It's more complicated than that of course, but that's the soon-to-be reality.
Nope, not even close.

"PARIS, June 16, 2021 (Reuters) - Cathay Pacific (0293.HK) is working with Airbus (AIR.PA) to introduce "reduced crew" long-haul flights with a sole pilot in the cockpit much of the time, industry sources told Reuters.

The programme, known within Airbus as Project Connect, aims to certify its A350 jet for single-pilot operations during high-altitude cruise, starting in 2025 on Cathay passenger flights, the sources said."

During 10+ hour flights, airliners require a relief crew because pilots run past their 10 hour on-duty limit.

This article indicates that they seek an allowance for one member to be off-duty for part of that time so the crew doesn't time-out, spelling each other while at high altitude, where not much happens.

This has nothing to do with one pilot or no pilot cockpits, nor any changes to the aircraft. This is solely a scheduling adjustment.

"High hurdles remain on the path to international acceptance. Once cleared, longer flights would become possible with a pair of pilots alternating rest breaks, instead of the three or four currently needed to maintain at least two in the cockpit."

..."If the flight encounters a problem or the pilot flying is incapacitated, the resting copilot can be summoned within minutes. Both remain in the cockpit for take-off and landing. "

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Nope, not even close.

"PARIS, June 16, 2021 (Reuters) - Cathay Pacific (0293.HK) is working with Airbus (AIR.PA) to introduce "reduced crew" long-haul flights with a sole pilot in the cockpit much of the time, industry sources told Reuters.

The programme, known within Airbus as Project Connect, aims to certify its A350 jet for single-pilot operations during high-altitude cruise, starting in 2025 on Cathay passenger flights, the sources said."

During 10+ hour flights, airliners require a relief crew because pilots run past their 10 hour on-duty limit.

This article indicates that they seek an allowance for one member to be off-duty for part of that time so the crew doesn't time-out, spelling each other while at high altitude, where not much happens.

This has nothing to do with one pilot or no pilot cockpits, nor any changes to the aircraft. This is solely a scheduling adjustment.

"High hurdles remain on the path to international acceptance. Once cleared, longer flights would become possible with a pair of pilots alternating rest breaks, instead of the three or four currently needed to maintain at least two in the cockpit."

..."If the flight encounters a problem or the pilot flying is incapacitated, the resting copilot can be summoned within minutes. Both remain in the cockpit for take-off and landing. "
Wrong place to argue this. But believe as you will, single pilot is coming on commercial airliners. And sooner than you’d like to think.

OP
OP
crownmountain

crownmountain

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium 2WD ER, 2022 MINI Cooper S EV
Occupation
Industrial network architect
Country flag
UPDATE: I pursued this with Ford and they have asked me to bring it in to the dealer for a look. Doing the FordPass "Customer Satisfaction Program" at the same time. Will advise after the visit.

jojomontag

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
This is an issue with all makes/models that I know of. I had a 2018 Accord that would confuse state highway signs as speed limit signs (so it would think the limit was 90mph when the sign was Highway 90). Also, the car will pick up signs from off ramps and feeder roads. It's a flawed system that requires an observant driver.

VJ2021

First Name
Vijay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache
Country flag
On NC-147 south bound when the speed changed from 55 mph to 65 mph the car said it was 85 and began to accelerate to 85 immediately till i tapped the brakes. Soooo glad I was not tailgating. Sent a message to Ford via Twitter since I could not get hold of a concierge on a Sunday evening.

IMG_0268.jpeg
Lol same thing happened to be at the exact same location.. 65 interpreted as 85. Will have to pay attention to that sign to see if there is anything special (damaged/partially covered). It happened to me at night.

OP
OP
crownmountain

crownmountain

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium 2WD ER, 2022 MINI Cooper S EV
Occupation
Industrial network architect
Country flag
Lol same thing happened to be at the exact same location.. 65 interpreted as 85. Will have to pay attention to that sign to see if there is anything special (damaged/partially covered). It happened to me at night.
WOW!! OK there is something about that location. Had the car completely checked software updated adjustments made. Last week went past same sign and cruise went to 85 mph. after the service appointment I went on a 2,000 mile vacation trip, no issues anywhere. Go by that sign an wham off it went,

VJ2021

First Name
Vijay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache
Country flag
WOW!! OK there is something about that location. Had the car completely checked software updated adjustments made. Last week went past same sign and cruise went to 85 mph. after the service appointment I went on a 2,000 mile vacation trip, no issues anywhere. Go by that sign an wham off it went,
Yup so far that's the only place I have had it happen.. now I want go there again just to try it out again ?
Sponsored