cinzen

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
I am wondering if anyone has had a problem with speeding up after reversing and then the putting car in drive mode.
Several times my car has sped up without cause. It is pretty scary as I have had to jam on the brake. It concerns me as I am afraid that it could cause some sort of damage.
If for instance one is backing up and the pulling forward to maneuver the car around it could easily hit something if in close confines.
Is there anything I can do?
Does anyone else have this issue?
Sponsored

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I am wondering if anyone has had a problem with speeding up after reversing and then the putting car in drive mode.
Several times my car has sped up without cause. It is pretty scary as I have had to jam on the brake. It concerns me as I am afraid that it could cause some sort of damage.
If for instance one is backing up and the pulling forward to maneuver the car around it could easily hit something if in close confines.
Is there anything I can do?
Does anyone else have this issue?
So you're shifting from reverse to drive without your foot already being on the brake?

Do you have Auto Hold and/or 1-Pedal Drive enabled? If not, the car will start moving forward like an ICE vehicle would.

OP
OP

cinzen

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
I don't necessarily have my foot on the brake as I drive with one pedal.
The car has stopped and it is when I start to drive forward that it speeds up. I am barely touching the accelerator. I am not sure what you mean by Auto Hold

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I don't necessarily have my foot on the brake as I drive with one pedal.
The car has stopped and it is when I start to drive forward that it speeds up. I am barely touching the accelerator. I am not sure what you mean by Auto Hold
From the manual:

HOW DOES AUTO HOLD WORK
Auto Hold applies the brakes to hold your vehicle after you stop it and release the brake pedal. This can help when waiting on a hill or in traffic.

SWITCHING AUTO HOLD ON AND OFF
WARNING: The system does not replace the parking brake. When you leave your vehicle, always apply the parking brake.

WARNING: You must remain in your vehicle when the system turns on.
At all times, you are responsible for controlling your vehicle, supervising the system and intervening, if required. Failure to take care may result in the loss of control of your vehicle, serious personal injury or death.
You can switch the system on or off by accessing the menu in the touchscreen.
1. Access the application drawer on the touchscreen.
2. Press Settings on the touchscreen.
3. Press Driver Assistance.
Note: You can only switch the system on after you close the driver door, and fasten your seatbelt.
Note: The system remembers the last setting when you start your vehicle.
Note: Make sure you switch the system off before using an automatic car wash.

USING AUTO HOLD
1. Bring your vehicle to a complete stop.
The auto hold active indicator illuminates in the information display.
2. Release the brake pedal. The system holds your vehicle at a standstill. The auto hold active indicator remains illuminated in the information display.
3. Pull away in the normal manner. The system releases the brakes and the auto hold active indicator switches off.
Note: The system only activates if you apply enough brake pressure on the brake pedal.
Note: Under certain conditions, the system could apply the electric parking brake. The brake system warning lamp illuminates. The electric parking brake releases when you press the accelerator pedal. See Automatically Releasing the Electric Parking Brake (page 181).
Note: The system switches off if you shift into reverse (R) and press the brake pedal.
There could be actions that can cause the auto hold system not to work when the following occur:
• When you use active park assist.
• Your vehicle is in stay in neutral mode.
• The driver door is open.
• You have not fastened your seatbelt.
• You shift into reverse (R) before the system is active.

OP
OP

cinzen

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
Thank you, I have never used that but why is this any better than one pedal? Wouldn't one pedal have the same effect?
Also one pedal has to be manually shut off so you don't have to constantly reactivate.

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
Auto hold setting is ignored with 1PD. When you switch to "D" and touch the accelerator, the car ... accelerates. Is it too fast? Well, it's a feature, not a bug.

Are you in whisper mode?

I personally still put my foot on the brake pedal when I switch from R to D, or opposite - without thinking, really, just an old habit.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Auto hold setting is ignored with 1PD. When you switch to "D" and touch the accelerator, the car ... accelerates. Is it too fast? Well, it's a feature, not a bug.

Are you in whisper mode?

I personally still put my foot on the brake pedal when I switch from R to D, or opposite - without thinking, really, just an old habit.
I actually had no idea you could shift without using the brake in 1PD and I use that exclusively, huh.

OP
OP

cinzen

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
Yes it accelerates but not always, I almost never use Whisper. I generally use Engage and sometime Unbridled when the weather is bad. I use one pedal with both.
I am not sure what "feature" it might be.
I appreciate your guidance.

OP
OP

cinzen

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
Gosh, I think you can, but now that you have said this I will let you know when I go out later.

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
BTW, I use whisper 2PD for these maneuvers and regulate the speed (slowness, really) by the brake pedal - and actually, it accelerates pretty rapidly when the brake is fully released, much faster than turbo-ICE cars I drove before it.

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DBA
Country flag

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
Yes - I would think just the opposite.
I don't even know what "bad weather" in Missouri is, but pretty sure it's not the same as in Alaska or even Michigan :D

OP
OP

cinzen

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
I don't even know what "bad weather" in Missouri is, but pretty sure it's not the same as in Alaska or even Michigan :D
Well, comparatively speaking, but as I write I have one and a half inches of ice on the roads..so yes we do occasionaly get bad winter weather and as we are in the tornado belt often times high winds
Sponsored