All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
There is no doubt that the Rivian is a fine vehicle. But, at what price? A lot!

Car and Driver says:

For now, the Adventure model is the only trim available, although a lower-cost Explore trim should join the lineup soon. We’d upgrade to the Large battery pack for $6000 to unlock the R1S’s maximum 316-mile driving range, otherwise, the Adventure trim comes with all the SUV’s best features as standard.
So I did a quick build-n-price for the Adventure model.

Looks like you can kiss the $7,500 tax credit goodbye.:)
Ford Mustang Mach-E Spent 3 hours in a Rivian R1S - comparing it to the Mach E 1676765054777

BTW, here are their Service Centers.

https://rivian.com/experience/service
Sponsored

Last edited:

npgeorgeuw

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE, Jeep Gladiator "Willys"
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
Regardless of features the main and one reason I didn’t get an R1T was simply first year and manufacturer woes. Perusing their forums it’s clear there are A LOT of teething issues, lots of bugs and a whole lot more suspension and axle issues with a possible half shaft (apparently they telescope out) design flaws. Windows that don’t work, etc. trucks in park that don’t stay in park. What struck me was the myriad of different types issues and lots of reports of “no fix available” and even more where something like airbag sensors were busted clearly and dealers were saying it’s normal. The service centers seem equally as flawed as a typical Ford shop and are inundated most of the time. They are clearly rushing them out and paying that price. Even with the Mach E there were issues but generally they were limited to a few recurrent things. These are truly widespread and varying. Don’t get me wrong, I like their interiors and tech but this is exactly why you don’t buy “build one”. Also, I’m not convinced Rivian makes it through the next two years.

My second reason is my truck’s roof and doors come off any day I want and I don’t need a saws all to do it. And I can go 500+ miles off-road and remote with a few Jerry cans. Good luck finding a charger anywhere in the PNW that is remote, even somewhat near main freeways it’d be a very close call after a weekend of camping and exploring the cascades. EVs just don’t foot the bill for an off-road expedition or over landing vehicle. For a local pickup or Mach E use case, sure it’s a good competitor but also a different form factor.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GT
Country flag
That is a pure BS.
Yes you can change the desired max from the app and you can even stop charging with a push of a button. Ford's app can't do that. It even shows you kwh charging rate and how long and other data points. I have both and will be dumping the GTPE as it sucks for the most part.
I agree, setting the charge limit on the Mach E is an absolutely terrible design and barely works. Who’s the brilliant engineer that thinks you should have to visit a charging station before allowing you to set a charge limit? And if you’re not the primary driver, you can’t even do it.

3-12% per night...... for real? That would be a non-starter for me, and thank you for helping me move past my Rivian envy.

What the heck is it doing to use this much energy?
it’s more like 1-2%, which is still completely unacceptable.

MNR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Ram 2500, HD PanAmerica Special
Occupation
Systems Engineer, USN Retired
Country flag
Thanks for the post and your take on the R1S! Reservation holder here.

Any other R1 owners on here? Would love to hear your opinions.
New R1S owner here. We got lucky with a Launch Edition cancelation and took delivery ten months ahead if our scheduled date (2 year wait) - and we still don't know when we'll get our MME. Very short answer - it is an amazing vehicle! I have driven many fast cars, even faster motorcycles, and several serious offroad machines. The R1S does it all better. The acceleration and handling seem to defy physics, and it will go places a Jeep Rubicon cannot, all while hauling 7 of our clan. It effectively relpaces the need for those three different vehicles other posters mention.
It is NOT the most energy efficient machine. I am surprised though to be averaging ~ 2 -2.5 mi/Kwh when I keep a light foot. Saw 2.75 on a recent 120 mile road trip (75 mph) in conserve mode (2 motor front wheel drive)
I will chime in with a better comparison when the MME arrives.

Annette702

First Name
Annette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Bronco Sport, looking at purchasing a Mach-e
Country flag
A friend took delivery of a Rivian R1S this week (the SUV version). I got to spend several hours in it, and thought it would be interesting to compare it with my 2022 Mach E ER Premium AWD.

In short, the Rivian is amazing. Such a fun car. Without comparing things like looks, here were my impressions of where the Rivian falls short of the Mach E, and where it's superior:

Where the Mach E is superior:
  • Charging setup options. The Rivian can be set to charge to 70%, 85%, or 100%. That's it. If you are set to a lower percentage and decide you need to switch it to 100% for a long trip, you need to go into the car and do it there - you can't do it in app.
  • Car Play. Rivian doesn't have it. Very surprising to me. And I thought the GPS voice in the in-car Rivian sounded a bit robotic - it was distracting. The Rivian software is just fine, but for people used to Car Play it's annoying to learn another system.
  • Blue Cruise/adaptive cruise/lane keeping. The Rivian even at its closest setting stayed pretty far away from trailing the next car using adaptive cruise control - people were cutting in front of us which slows you down more. (Unless we had it set wrong). Also when using the driver assist, at one point in the right lane when a entrance ramp was merging in, it lurched to the right to follow the new lane marking. I feel more comfortable using Ford's Blue Cruise and adaptive cruise control.
  • Middle seat legroom. This is a little silly because the Rivian has a third row too, but second row is a bit more comfortable in the Mach E
  • Cupholders. Very few in the Rivian, which was weird for an American designed and made car! We Americans love our cupholders!
  • Mileage. Rivian is bigger so it uses more juice.
Where the Rivian seemed superior:
  • Overall refinement of the center console software. The center screen was easy to use, responsive, and intuitive. To be clear, I don't hate the Mach E center console (it's not like the ID.4 - yikes), but Rivian's was easier, snappier, and more intuitive. Also things like phone as a key are seamless and easy to use.
  • Several software options. Things like a "gear guard" mode (basically Sentry mode) and a pet mode. All easy to use, all well designed and easy to get to.
  • Acceleration. Just insane. We went full throttle in sport mode from a stop, and it even blows away a GTPE I've been in. Amazing.
  • Storage. The frunk is enormous. The back has a ton of room (even before you fold back the third row). The "gear tunnel" is hilarious.
  • Third row. I wouldn't use it for adults for a road trip but for quick trips around town it would be just fine.
  • Ride. We tried different settings. The normal mode (forget what it's called) is many times more comfortable and less bumpy than the Mach E
  • Functionality/Flexibility. This is where the car shines. You can use it for anything and it'll adjust for what you need:
    • You can change the suspension height (even while driving 70mph). It's absolutely wild and fun.
    • It has a "kneel mode" which lowers the entire car when you put it in park, so it's easier to get in and out.
    • It has a "camping mode" that will level the car on uneven ground so you can put a sleeping bag or mattress in the back and use it to camp.
    • Of course you can off road (we didn't), and with all the different modes and suspension heights you can do pretty much anything.
    • A bunch of fun extras - some gimmicky, some useful - an air pump in the back, a portable speaker, a flashlight in the car (yeah that one is pretty gimmicky)
  • Turning radius. For a large car, it was amazingly good
  • Range and range estimates. You can turn off the back wheel motors to add range - useful when you're on the highway and it made a significant difference. The range estimates were pretty darn accurate for our 200 or so miles of driving.
Overall I came away very impressed. If the two cars cost the same I would buy a Rivian. (Of course, they don't cost the same!). Also, when the charging network gets to the point where I'm comfortable taking long trips in an EV, a Rivian is the kind of car I would want to do it in. Whether for dropping kids off at college, camping, or going on vacation, it just seems like the perfect vehicle.

One other thing about the Rivian - you get a *lot* of attention on the road. Other EV drivers and pickup drivers seemed to notice us the most. We saw several EVs wave at us - a Lucid (first one I've seen), a Mach E, and a zillion Teslas (given we both own non-Tesla EVs, we were jokingly laughing at them - sorry Tesla owners, you're no longer the cool kids on the block).
R1S does not have a gear tunnel, only the R1 T, the truck version has the gear tunnel the R1 S does have amazing under floor storage in the rear trunk area as well as the huge frunk. I think it’s hard to compare the R1 S to the Mach E totally different vehicles. While Ford claims theirs is an SUV it’s clearly not. It’s a it’s a hatchback. Ford is an awesome vehicle, but closely compares to the model Y. the R1S could be compared to the model X based on size and ability to hold seven passengers. right now the R1S and Mach E are my two favorite electric vehicles that I’m considering right now. After driving the Rivian last weekend I’d have to say it’s at the top of the list with Ford coming in a very close second and Tesla in the third.
Sponsored