SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Hahaha! What about your most used item...wallet? A good one lasts a decade. I'm ok with a patina it will get. If needed, could be repaired (but doubtful I would even come close). They seem pretty tough. It isn't wimpy leather. I already conditioned and put a waterproof protectant on the stitching. But they already seem easier too keep looking nice. My rubber ones always look scuffed and dirty. These just wipe clean with a microfiber.

edit: Also, the reason I waited 5 months for the black (other than, everything else would look dumb), but black should be easy to keep looking nice, compared to the other colors.
My wallets have never lasted more than a year or two. Even the leather ones, though it's usually the stitching that fails...and I've restitched several, but even when I replace it with better stitching, it also eventually fails. I'm really, really hard on things like that. My boots lasted almost 20 years. My jacket is 30 years old.

A nice set of leather floor mats is starting to sound better and better...
Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
So funny that everyone is worried about leather. I use to ride horses, so I think of leather a bit differently. The saddles, chaps, and all the tack take a beating. I still have stuff that is 20 years old and just fine (when taken care of). I think the leather should be pretty durable for my usage.
I think the problem is with our experience with bonded leather and other cheap “leather” products.

Good thick leather? It can last a lifetime, but $$$

My other concern would be liquids.

For some reason cows freakin love the rain by my leather jacket? Not so much.

AOSK

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E select
Country flag
I gotta say these do look pretty nice in person in my opinion. I got in the car today and had sorta forgot they were in there. I almost didn't want to step in, they look too nice.
agree! your set is looking fantastic.

OP
OP
Lynsey

Lynsey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT - Star White
Country flag
I think the problem is with our experience with bonded leather and other cheap “leather” products.

Good thick leather? It can last a lifetime, but $$$

My other concern would be liquids.

For some reason cows freakin love the rain by my leather jacket? Not so much.
Yeah, I did put a water protectant on the stitching and a did a leather protectant too. I'm thinking that should be enough. It's San Diego....how much weather can I really expect? 🤣

Graction

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Mach-e GT
Country flag
My wallets have never lasted more than a year or two. Even the leather ones, though it's usually the stitching that fails...and I've restitched several, but even when I replace it with better stitching, it also eventually fails. I'm really, really hard on things like that. My boots lasted almost 20 years. My jacket is 30 years old.

A nice set of leather floor mats is starting to sound better and better...
Earlier this year I just retired the leather wallet my father got me when I was a senior in high school - 34 years ago! And I used it every day.

My worry with leather floor mats is water. Leather is durable but not great with water unless very well sealed/waterproofed.

OP
OP
Lynsey

Lynsey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Earlier this year I just retired the leather wallet my father got me when I was a senior in high school - 34 years ago! And I used it every day.

My worry with leather floor mats is water. Leather is durable but not great with water unless very well sealed/waterproofed.
Sealed! For the most part there is never water in my car. The few times it's just a tiny bit from a wet parking lot. Could just wipe off with a micro fiber. If I anticipate it, I could throw in a microfiber and just step on that. I'll see how the next winter does here. I might throw in my old rubber mats, but realistically might just wipe with a cloth for the rare times it sees water.

Again, I'm probably not the norm...But here in So Cal where I am 99% parked in my own garage or a covered parking garage at work, I'm not too worried.

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
Yeah, I did put a water protectant on the stitching and a did a leather protectant too. I'm thinking that should be enough. It's San Diego....how much weather can I really expect? 🤣
Well, you have Gray-pril, May-gray, June-gloom and sun the other 9 months 🤷‍♂️

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag

illinirdhd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Premium
Occupation
Legal
Country flag
Sealed! For the most part there is never water in my car. The few times it's just a tiny bit from a wet parking lot. Could just wipe off with a micro fiber. If I anticipate it, I could throw in a microfiber and just step on that. I'll see how the next winter does here. I might throw in my old rubber mats, but realistically might just wipe with a cloth for the rare times it sees water.

Again, I'm probably not the norm...But here in So Cal where I am 99% parked in my own garage or a covered parking garage at work, I'm not too worried.
These might be my exact level of extra, to be honest. I love them. We don't get much weather in Las Vegas either - although I'd probably go black on black because of our nasty asphalt everywhere! My dogs will be in the back too - maybe I'll join your mullet club!

OP
OP
Lynsey

Lynsey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
These might be my exact level of extra, to be honest. I love them. We don't get much weather in Las Vegas either - although I'd probably go black on black because of our nasty asphalt everywhere! My dogs will be in the back too - maybe I'll join your mullet club!
Hahahaha!!! Yay. Mullet club :)
Mine are pretty much all black, just the copper stitching around the edge, the stitching in the middle is black. Figure if they get crazy dirty, I'll paint the stitching with fabric dye and then they will be all black.

thewraith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FD RX7(2J)/'21 Mach E GTP/'65 'stang, '22 BMW X5
Country flag
That's just an overpriced luxautomat....
Sponsored