Evermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
Hello all. Just an FYI that if you live in the PHX metro and are an SRP customer they have a separate website that has EV Home Chargers with rebates applied. I was expecting a rebate form on the main website to fill out after purchase from Amazon or whatnot, but nothing was available. You have to purchase direct from them.

Just an FYI for those looking to upgrade their garage.

https://srpmarketplace.com/electric-vehicle-chargers/
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Hello all. Just an FYI that if you live in the PHX metro and are an SRP customer they have a separate website that has EV Home Chargers with rebates applied. I was expecting a rebate form on the main website to fill out after purchase from Amazon or whatnot, but nothing was available. You have to purchase direct from them.

Interesting that they only offer wifi connected chargers.

I'm still thinking of using the included charger for awhile and then redeeming FordPass points for the wall charger.

Still trying to get an electrician to get the work done, too. I'm on my third one now... He almost came by today but got busy with another job. Will get this resolved soon I hope! :)

OP
OP

Evermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
I'm still thinking of using the included charger for awhile and then redeeming FordPass points for the wall charger.
Yeah, I was headed this way too. Then read something about how these are designed for more usage (daily plug in and take out) and also the 30% tax credit expires end of year.

Still trying to get an electrician to get the work done, too. I'm on my third one now... He almost came by today but got busy with another job. Will get this resolved soon I hope! :)
I’ve been doing some reading about this. Have a friend who wired his whole remodel so gonna give it a try w him. My box is on the exact outside wall I need so wire run will be literally 12” through the wall. May try to document it so others have an idea of what to do if they want to go it alone.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Yeah, I was headed this way too. Then read something about how these are designed for more usage (daily plug in and take out) and also the 30% tax credit expires end of year.

I’ve been doing some reading about this. Have a friend who wired his whole remodel so gonna give it a try w him. My box is on the exact outside wall I need so wire run will be literally 12” through the wall. May try to document it so others have an idea of what to do if they want to go it alone.
For me, the main load center is 85' away from the load center I put in the garage about 15 years ago... And I want the EVSE about another 35' from there. These distances are wire/conduit lengths, i.e. going up/down walls are part of my measurements.

So not as simple, but shouldn't be too hard IMHO.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Interesting that they only offer wifi connected chargers.

SRP wants to collect the charging data and think the wifi units will help them figure out how to make that happen.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
SRP wants to collect the charging data and think the wifi units will help them figure out how to make that happen.
They do experiments like that. A couple years ago I got to participate in an Advanced Inverter Study for my Solar panels. I basically got a brand new inverter for free and a nice diner out of it. So that was nice.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
They do experiments like that. A couple years ago I got to participate in an Advanced Inverter Study for my Solar panels. I basically got a brand new inverter for free and a nice diner out of it. So that was nice.
I've participated in a few demand response studies for them, which is how I now have a smart thermostat and some uncomfortably hot afternoons. ;)

The reason I think the WiFi discriminator is interesting is because they don't mention why they've downselected in that way, even though we can all guess the obvious reason. (A future study, or future billing plan option.)

Ford's connected charge station is also WiFi enabled and supports OCPP 1.6. Grizzl-E was announced to support OCPP too, through a small hw upgrade that isn't out yet. I think that among other things, OCPP will let the device participate in demand response events, if SRP does the appropriate work on their end.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've participated in a few demand response studies for them, which is how I now have a smart thermostat and some uncomfortably hot afternoons. ;)

The reason I think the WiFi discriminator is interesting is because they don't mention why they've downselected in that way, even though we can all guess the obvious reason. (A future study, or future billing plan option.)

Ford's connected charge station is also WiFi enabled and supports OCPP 1.6. Grizzl-E was announced to support OCPP too, through a small hw upgrade that isn't out yet. I think that among other things, OCPP will let the device participate in demand response events, if SRP does the appropriate work on their end.
Even my refrigerator can support demand response events.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

I have talked to them about and asked the question directly. They had a $500 rebate on EVSE units at first and then it increased to a larger figure ($1500?) but with a requirement that it's connected to the internet and was on their list of approved units. We are one of SRP's vendor partners so we get to (must) participate in their various webinars etc. They came right out and said they are interested in V2G for the purposes of load demand.

There is so much research going on right now. I am most interested in DCFC machines that build up energy slowly and store it for a single DCFC session. There are battery and kinetic type. Both are interesting and useful for fleet and service center use.

Hgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue MME XR RWD
Occupation
Professional Mom
Country flag

Thanks for sharing this! I have just started learning about EV and am wondering if you one of you would recommend one of these SRP EV chargers or buy the Ford Charger? Since I have never owned an EV before, I feel like I am in kindergarten! Thanks!

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Thanks for sharing this! I have just started learning about EV and am wondering if you one of you would recommend one of these SRP EV chargers or buy the Ford Charger? Since I have never owned an EV before, I feel like I am in kindergarten! Thanks!
Ford's charger is $799. Functionally equivalent Chargepoint from SRP is $450. Ford's charger hasn't been seen yet. Chargepoint has been available for the entire year. Whatever charger you get, is eligible for 30% tax credit if you buy and install it this year (The installation cost are also eligible up to a total of $1,000). Ford may not be available till January, so no credit. To me, that's a no-brainer. Buy Chargepoint or one of the others that SRP is selling. I'm not an SRP customer, or I would have been all over this. Incidentally, even without SRP rebate, non-Ford chargers are still a better deal.

OP
OP

Evermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
I ended up going with the Juicebox for no reason other than I’ve seen a lot of reviews, YouTube and forum members get it and it was the cheapest.

the price here is pretty good too. I personally don’t need the Ford charger as I feel like there’s markup since it’s OEM and I don’t need it hard wired for faster charging as the car will sit in the garage from 6p to 7a at least — to be used for a 20ish mile round trip commute.

Hgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professional Mom
Country flag
Ford's charger is $799. Functionally equivalent Chargepoint from SRP is $450. Ford's charger hasn't been seen yet. Chargepoint has been available for the entire year. Whatever charger you get, is eligible for 30% tax credit if you buy and install it this year (The installation cost are also eligible up to a total of $1,000). Ford may not be available till January, so no credit. To me, that's a no-brainer. Buy Chargepoint or one of the others that SRP is selling. I'm not an SRP customer, or I would have been all over this. Incidentally, even without SRP rebate, non-Ford chargers are still a better deal.
Thanks for the reply! I will get an electrician out to see what my box has room for. We had two 50 am circuits installed this spring and the house is 42 years old!

Hgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professional Mom
Country flag
I ended up going with the Juicebox for no reason other than I’ve seen a lot of reviews, YouTube and forum members get it and it was the cheapest.

the price here is pretty good too. I personally don’t need the Ford charger as I feel like there’s markup since it’s OEM and I don’t need it hard wired for faster charging as the car will sit in the garage from 6p to 7a at least — to be used for a 20ish mile round trip commute.
Thanks for the reply! There is definitely a branding market up! I don't think I will need a high amp charger either. Thanks for recommending the JuiceBox. I will look more at their reviews, etc.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ford's charger is $799. Functionally equivalent Chargepoint from SRP is $450.
The Ford charger is 48 amps, hard-wired and includes Wi-fi. The Chargepoint from SRP is a plug-in that offers 50-amps which is not common on a NEMA 14-50 outlet (oven outlet) as far as I know.

I went w/ the Grizzl-e, 40-amps for $399.

It's all about your needs. How far do you drive a day on average? What sort of electrical capacity is in your house, how far do the wires have to be run. Lots of variables.

Some people can get away with just using the included charger and plugging into a regular 'ol outlet. This will give you about 3-miles of range per hour of charging. Say 30 miles or so a night. If you drive more than that, you may be in trouble, unless you can make up for it on the weekend.

The next step up would be to install an oven outlet (NEMA 14-50) and use the charger that comes w/ the car. That will give you about 21-miles of range per hour.

The next step up would be a more permanent installation using something like the aforementioned Grizzl-e or others. You get the flexibility of the plug-in and more range per hour. The Grizzl-e will probably get me somewhere around 25-miles of range per hour. This and the previous option would work for the vast majority of drivers.

The next step up from that would be a hard-wired box like the Ford connected charger or others that can charge around 30 miles of range per hour. That's pretty much an empty mach-e (extended range) from complete empty to full every night, which is overkill for the vast majority of drivers.
Sponsored