breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
I was considering a Porsche Macan, but decided on the MME. You want to talk about nuttiness? 14-way adjustable seats are getting replaced with 8-way adjustable (trust me, it's a big deal). The Cayenne has the electric telescoping steering column defeatured, where it gets set one time at the dealer, and it's fixed (the motors are there, but only the dealer has the SW to talk to them).

Here are others:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/g38179550/new-cars-tech-features-missing-chip-shortage/
That article does highlight a lot of chip shortage issues for sure.
The article said just the 18 way seats weren't available but the 14 way were. The 18 way just add the bolster adjustment which I find not necessary on a Macan. However I think the 14 way are necessary personally. Also the 18 ways are available again.

It also just says they came with a manual steering column. Where did you find the part on them having to be adjusted by the dealer?

The Macan is a solid choice in that segment. A really good value in my opinion. Only thing I wish it had available was Porsche InnoDrive with ALK. I will consider a Macan EV when it comes out to replace my MME. Taycan is a bit too expensive how I'd spec it...
Sponsored

AmbiguousPresentation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Fusion SEL, 2005 Suburban, 2021 MME GT-PE
Country flag
They could, but that would cost time and money.

They would rather deliver cars as is. Especially since there’s a long wait list.

And who knows if you’d have to rip half the car apart or not to install it?
Eh, I suspect they’d just have to add the sensor. I doubt they redesigned the part of the bumper it mounts on. Maybe they’d need to run a wire, but given that they haven’t removed the remote power part of the lift gate there’s a good chance all the wires you need are there too.

Given the wording of the message to dealers, I wonder if the dealer couldn’t install the sensor (given the part). Ford just said that they couldn’t charge Ford for said parts and service.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Eh, I suspect they’d just have to add the sensor. I doubt they redesigned the part of the bumper it mounts on. Maybe they’d need to run a wire, but given that they haven’t removed the remote power part of the lift gate there’s a good chance all the wires you need are there too.

Given the wording of the message to dealers, I wonder if the dealer couldn’t install the sensor (given the part). Ford just said that they couldn’t charge Ford for said parts and service.
If that’s the case, maybe people could order and install themselves later on if they really want the feature. Can’t be super expensive.

The hard part may be the programming. Not sure if just acts like a switch/button or what.

AmbiguousPresentation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Fusion SEL, 2005 Suburban, 2021 MME GT-PE
Country flag
If that’s the case, maybe people could order and install themselves later on if they really want the feature. Can’t be super expensive.

The hard part may be the programming. Not sure if just acts like a switch/button or what.
Would guess it’s just a momentary switch. The DIY lift gate button hack works that way.

Epps

First Name
Theodore
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD
Country flag
The hits just keep on coming for those of us who ordered a 21 model and got converted. First my MSRP went up over $2500 and now they take away a nice feature. Grrrrr

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I guess I'm part of the minority that has 0 issues with the hands free tailgate. Works every time and the only reason it would 'inadvertently' open is if you leave the car unlocked and someone or something swipes/runs under it.
I pretty much only open my trunk using it. I honestly find the manual button to be weirdly placed and too low.
It works great for me too. I use it several times per day. That being said, I could live without it. In the first 11 months of ownership, I have needed hands free once or twice.

Sad to see it go but I guess it is what it is. :(

Thunderanger

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select, 2019 Ram 1500
Occupation
retired
Country flag
SSM 50415 - 2022 Mustang Mach-E - No Longer Equipped With A Hands Free Liftgate System - Built On Or After 03-Jan-2022

2022 Mustang Mach-E vehicles built on or after 03-Jan-2022 are no longer equipped with a hands free liftgate system. The vehicle is not misbuilt. The addition of any parts is not a warrantable repair. Do not submit a claim for this condition.

Bunch of us aren't going to be happy about this one... :mad:
The handsfree function is kinda wonky anyway. Seems like you have to have the key fob at just the right distance and wave your leg in the perfect spot to work, and even then sometimes it doesn't. Or should I say, most times, it doesn't.

wmaney

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GTPE, daughter drives Ford Focus Titanium
Country flag
SSM 50415 - 2022 Mustang Mach-E - No Longer Equipped With A Hands Free Liftgate System - Built On Or After 03-Jan-2022

2022 Mustang Mach-E vehicles built on or after 03-Jan-2022 are no longer equipped with a hands free liftgate system. The vehicle is not misbuilt. The addition of any parts is not a warrantable repair. Do not submit a claim for this condition.

Bunch of us aren't going to be happy about this one... :mad:
So does this mean whenever ford decides something costs too much they just eliminate the feature even on pre-ordered vehicles - They just "chip" away at the Mach e with the all too easy chip excuse? As far as whether people like the this lift gate feature, a setting to allow it to be on or off would solve the problem. And why does an electric car need a battery anyway....

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
That setting (on/off) exists.

Jppumper

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1st car: 1966 Mustang, 2021 Mach-E X Premium
Occupation
Retired Master Certified Heavy Truck Technician
Country flag
We love our liftgate. I wonder why they decided not to have it anymore.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
We love our liftgate. I wonder why they decided not to have it anymore.
Chip availability most likely.

However, I can tell you that on my car, when they went to do 21P22, they had a problem - the sensor made a code get thrown. The tech worked at it to get the update to go through, Ford's system was telling him to replace the sensor, and he knew it was fine.

Perhaps there's a problem in the update process with some type of conflict with the sensor, and they're getting rid of it for that reason.

Jppumper

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1st car: 1966 Mustang, 2021 Mach-E X Premium
Occupation
Retired Master Certified Heavy Truck Technician
Country flag
Chip availability most likely.

However, I can tell you that on my car, when they went to do 21P22, they had a problem - the sensor made a code get thrown. The tech worked at it to get the update to go through, Ford's system was telling him to replace the sensor, and he knew it was fine.

Perhaps there's a problem in the update process with some type of conflict with the sensor, and they're getting rid of it for that reason.
Our car is only 2 months old. We have not had a problem with ours.

napajeff22

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 Mustang GT, 22 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Retired Auto parts salesperson
Country flag
Not pleased. Maybe something that could be added when chip becomes available, like the frunk release

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Actually, most of the people that installed one found it did not.
There may be some variation in functionality afterwards depending on the trailer hitch model, but I would expect the hands-free liftgate to work. Some factory trailer hitch installations requires replacing the (lower) hands-free sensor/antenna which may run flat along the lower edge of the bumper, because the OEM hitch sits relatively high from the ground and cuts into the bumper cover and the replacement sensor stays above that intrusion.
Sponsored