SSM 50416 - Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Backlight Remains Illuminated With Ignition Key Off/12V Battery Drain

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Well looks like they found one of the 12v drain issues lol. Note it is only for 20 Oct and earlier built cars.
-----------
SSM 50416 - 21 January 2022 - 2021 Mustang Mach-E - Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Backlight Remains Illuminated With Ignition Key Off/12V Battery Drain - Built On Or Before 20-Oct-2021

Some 2021 Mustang Mach-E vehicles built on or before 20-Oct-2021 may exhibit illuminated instrument panel cluster (IPC) backlight with key-off, causing 12V battery drain. To resolve this condition, park the vehicle and close doors, allow vehicle to enter key-off status, wait for the brake indicator to turn off, turn on hazard lights for 3 flashes and turn off. An IPC software update is expected to be delivered to vehicles via an over-the-air (OTA) update in March 2022 to permanently resolve the condition. Let the customer know they can continue to drivethe vehicle and advise to connect to their FordPass account to enable OTA delivery. Schedule a follow-up appointment for April 2022, and contact the customer to verify the OTA was received and confirm if the service appointment is going forward. Monitor OASIS for updates.
Sponsored

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Well looks like they found one of the 12v drain issues lol. Note it is only for 20 Oct and earlier built cars.
-----------
SSM 50416 - 21 January 2022 - 2021 Mustang Mach-E - Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Backlight Remains Illuminated With Ignition Key Off/12V Battery Drain - Built On Or Before 20-Oct-2021

Some 2021 Mustang Mach-E vehicles built on or before 20-Oct-2021 may exhibit illuminated instrument panel cluster (IPC) backlight with key-off, causing 12V battery drain. To resolve this condition, park the vehicle and close doors, allow vehicle to enter key-off status, wait for the brake indicator to turn off, turn on hazard lights for 3 flashes and turn off. An IPC software update is expected to be delivered to vehicles via an over-the-air (OTA) update in March 2022 to permanently resolve the condition. Let the customer know they can continue to drivethe vehicle and advise to connect to their FordPass account to enable OTA delivery. Schedule a follow-up appointment for April 2022, and contact the customer to verify the OTA was received and confirm if the service appointment is going forward. Monitor OASIS for updates.
I’m guessing you do this while inside the car?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I’m guessing you do this while inside the car?
It would be hard to accomplish otherwise.

It's not clear when you'd know that you need to do this. It's certainly not something any of us are going to do after every drive, nor have the majority of us had any observed issues.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Has anyone seen an Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Backlight that remained Illuminated after off? If it is visible, I have never seen that condition.

It is good that they are looking for power off load conditions, clearly some things are significantly drawing down the LVB when MME is off.

Gixxer750

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 VW Golf R; 2021 ER AWD Rapid Red
Occupation
Innovation Guru
Country flag
Do we have to click our heels at the end as well?

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It would be hard to accomplish otherwise.

It's not clear when you'd know that you need to do this. It's certainly not something any of us are going to do after every drive, nor have the majority of us had any observed issues.
I guess the wait for Brake light to go off part threw me. But I guess that means the red BRAKE word on the IPC

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Has anyone seen an Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Backlight that remained Illuminated after off? If it is visible, I have never seen that condition.

It is good that they are looking for power off load conditions, clearly some things are significantly drawing down the LVB when MME is off.
A few people caught it on their web cams, turning on in the middle of the night for no obvious reason. But I believe it also turned itself back off.

I don't recall any reports on the forum where someone noted that the IPC backlight remained on indefinitely.

The IPC on my vehicle turns on if I bump the car or otherwise awaken it (walk by with PaaK or whatnot), but then it turns back off.

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
So they probably have a fix since cars built after Oct 20 don't have the issue which brings the question why don't they send it OTA yet or at least allow the dealers to update the software.
I have heard the promise that a fix will be OTAed soon multiple times but it never or rarely happened.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, not yet. Ford has hit their published expected OTA dates for specific fixes/features approximately zero times so far, but maybe this will be the first.
I will give them this…. They are on a much better pace now on overall OTA deployment

rzanzerkia

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Acura TL, 2016 MB GLE350, 2021 Mach-e Premium
Country flag

I have seen the main screen backlight on after turning off the car, see my other post in battery charging section...

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not really. Zero OTA updates for all GTs. Mine was built in July and had a couple of these bugs, no fix was OTAed yet.
I meant any issues to get vehicles caught up, they pace has quickened

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
Maybe I am spending too much time on this forum but I find myself checking the LVB voltage level several times a day!
Sponsored