SSM 50513 - Clicking Type Noise From The Front On Turns - Built On OrBefore 15-Sep-2021

Have your front half shafts (axles) been replaced?

• Total voters

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
SSM 50513 - Feb 18 2022 - 2021 Mustang Mach-E - Clicking Type Noise From The Front On Turns - Built On Or Before 15-Sep-2021

Some 2021 Mustang Mach-E vehicles built on or before 15-Sep-2021 may exhibit a clicking type noise from the front drive area on hard left or right turns. This may be due to an internal halfshaft issue. To correct the condition, replace theappropriate front halfshaft. For replacement, refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 205-04 Front Drive Halfshaft, Removal and Installation. For claiming, usecasual part 3B436 (for right side halfshaft or both sides) or 3B437 (left side halfshaft only) and the applicable labor operations of Section 03 of the ServiceLabor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual.

END SSM

They're finally noting this is a problem....Who all has had their half shafts replaced? My FE had them both replaced.

Only respond to the poll if you have a car built before 15 sept 2021.
Sponsored

Last edited:

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Yeah I've got this clicking noise too. I'm holding off on the repairs for now, trying for the trifecta: glass recall, half shaft fix and dealer install BlueCruise update.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
it looks like in my case this was properly diagnosed then. it only took them [checks notes] about 19 years to get the replacement parts to the dealer, but it's been done.

I'm supposed to get the car back late Monday. we'll see.

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
it looks like in my case this was properly diagnosed then. it only took them [checks notes] about 19 years to get the replacement parts to the dealer, but it's been done.

I'm supposed to get the car back late Monday. we'll see.
Wonder if they waited on this SSM because of parts being on backorder. Specifically a revised part to make it so it won't happen again. My GT was built in July but I assume GTs have beefier front half shafts.

Badger66

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E ER AWD
Country flag
Yes, I have this and had half shaft replaced last year. Still have the clicking as it came back... the problem as I see it is replacements have the same issue!

Attachments

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Wonder if they waited on this SSM because of parts being on backorder. Specifically a revised part to make it so it won't happen again. My GT was built in July but I assume GTs have beefier front half shafts.
That's fair - why replace bad with bad?

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
That's fair - why replace bad with bad?
This happens all the time too. Then they just have to do it again. That's why they try to identify this stuff and tell dealers to wait but doesn't always work that way when its a mechanical issue like axles.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I have a thump-thump sound when turning and I THINK is comes from the rear, so I’ll hold off on answering the poll until I get a diagnosis from the dealer.

Badger66

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E ER AWD
Country flag
Half shaft replaced and still have the noise... dealer is convinced it's the top mounts... that's next to be replaced

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
Half shaft replaced and still have the noise... dealer is convinced it's the top mounts... that's next to be replaced
....the top mounts....

Are we talking about strut tower mounts here?

Mike

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
The problem appears to be worse in cold ambient temperatures. I am dropping my car off at the dealer in the morning for software updates and to look at this issue. I am willing to bet they cannot find a problem and I will need to come back in December when it is cold again.

rgreene

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e GT-PE
Country flag
My car is at the dealer now for this, and apparently there is debate if the clunking I hear when doing a hard left/right turn is an issue with the halfshafts. I pointed them at this SSM, I figured this would be a straightforward resolution.

I even took my service advisor for a test drive when dropping the car off and showed the problem occur…

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Update - back in September the dealer had the car for less than an hour and immediately confirmed my car had the problem, ordered both half shafts and returned the car for me to drive until the parts came in. It took about a week for the parts, and they fixed it in about four hours.

It is frustrating to hear stories from others who seem to have problems with their dealer service dept. I wish all were as good as my local one.
Sponsored