SSM 50553 - Over-The-Air (OTA) Failed Message In The Center Touchscreen / SYNC Software Does Not Download From The USB

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
SSM 50553 - 2021 F-150/Mustang Mach-E - Over-The-Air (OTA) Failed Message In The Center Touchscreen / SYNC Software Does Not Download From The USB

Some 2021 F-150/Mustang Mach-E vehicles may display OTA Update Not Successful messages on the vehicle’s center touchscreen. Also, when a software update is being performed on the accessory protocol interface module (APIM) using the FDRS, the center touchscreen may not indicate the APIM software is downloading when plugging a USB drive into the vehicle. This may be due to an APIM software concern.Inform customers that Ford is currently working on a solution for this condition that is to be released via the Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS) in March 2022. Inform the customer that they can continue to drive the vehicle and onlyneed to schedule a follow-up appointment if they are still experiencing the OTA Update Not Successful message in April 2022 or if the APIM is not able to be updated via the FDRS. Monitor OASIS for updates.
Sponsored

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
Might as well make it:

printf("Some 2021 F-150/Mustang Mach-E vehicles may display OTA Update Not Successful messages on the vehicle’s center touchscreen. Also, when a software update is being performed on the accessory protocol interface module (APIM) using the FDRS, the center touchscreen may not indicate the APIM software is downloading when plugging a USB drive into the vehicle. This may be due to an APIM software concern.Inform customers that Ford is currently working on a solution for this condition that is to be released via the Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS) in %s %d. Inform the customer that they can continue to drive the vehicle and onlyneed to schedule a follow-up appointment if they are still experiencing the OTA Update Not Successful message in %s %d or if the APIM is not able to be updated via the FDRS. Monitor OASIS for updates.", Tgtmonth, Tgtyear, Ddlmonth, Ddlyear);

COACH CHRIS

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E AWD Select
Country flag
Man it pains me to see Ford struggle with this stuff. I know, I know, I know it's not that simple but oof. Between software delivery and general feel on the touchscreen and how janky the iOS app feels (not including PAAK which I recognize is hardware related too), it feels like Ford is really building the train tracks as they go down them.

Full disclosure: On a regular basis I work with developers and remind them that iterative development trumps big-bang releases exactly because you can hear feedback and make pivots early. I hope that's what is happening here: That they're hearing our feedback and course-correcting as they go along.

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
A little bit of a mystical kingdom, like Camelot
Vehicles
Premium MME4X Iconic Silver
Country flag
So, fixed in Feb changed to March and come back in March to April? I guess we can expect the same update to the SSM next month changing March to April and April to May.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
So, fixed in Feb changed to March and come back in March to April? I guess we can expect the same update to the SSM next month changing March to April and April to May.
Yes - this is an example of iterative improvement mentioned earlier in the thread :)

sm13294

First Name
Suejb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e RWD LR
SSM 50553 - 2021 F-150/Mustang Mach-E - Over-The-Air (OTA) Failed Message In The Center Touchscreen / SYNC Software Does Not Download From The USB

Some 2021 F-150/Mustang Mach-E vehicles may display OTA Update Not Successful messages on the vehicle’s center touchscreen. Also, when a software update is being performed on the accessory protocol interface module (APIM) using the FDRS, the center touchscreen may not indicate the APIM software is downloading when plugging a USB drive into the vehicle. This may be due to an APIM software concern.Inform customers that Ford is currently working on a solution for this condition that is to be released via the Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS) in March 2022. Inform the customer that they can continue to drive the vehicle and onlyneed to schedule a follow-up appointment if they are still experiencing the OTA Update Not Successful message in April 2022 or if the APIM is not able to be updated via the FDRS. Monitor OASIS for updates.
I had my car to the dealer to fix the stuck 1.7.1 update, and after two days of trying, they could not perform it. They have printed the same text and gave it to me, as an explanation of why the update has failed. Looking forward for ford to release the fix in the FDRS.

***Update - After doing some more reading, it seems like the TSB 22-2150 (https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ed-tsb-for-stuck-power-up-1-7-1-update.16562/) is the fix for this, or am I mistaken?

Last edited:

sm13294

First Name
Suejb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e RWD LR
Are these for the US or Worldwide?
I am wondering the same. Talked to my dealership today, informed them about the TSB22-2150, they said that they need to check with the Swedish Ford engineering team to make sure that the fix is applicable for non-US vehicles as well. Will get back to you if I receive an answer.

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
seeing how smoothly other companies such as Rivian, Polestar, Porsche, VW, Kia, Hyundai are rolling out software updates to their vehicles, makes me wonder how Ford hasn't been able to figure this out yet. Almost every other company has seemed to figure this out except for Ford. Given the number of openings they have for their software development teams, I think they are too stretched between developing the software for new vehicles such as the F150 Lightning and fixing issues with the Mach-E.

The crappy software situation is really making me question Ford's ability to provide promised functionality/features and even if I want to get another Ford EV in the future when we replace our 2nd car.

I really want Ford to improve and even considered applying to the company in an attempt to help from the inside, but sadly I'm not a developer and they aren't looking for people with my skillset or in my province.
Sponsored