breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
FINALLY the admission that there is an issue! Both of my Mach E's have had this.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
SSM 50869 - 2021-2022 Mustang Mach-E - Headlamps Turn On By Themselves When Vehicle Is Off - DTC B1533

Some 2021-2022 Mustang Mach-E vehicles may exhibit a condition of intermittent headlamp operation while the vehicle is OFF and have diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B1533 stored in the body control module (BCM). This may be due to the internal logic within the headlamp switch. Switch and/or module replacement will not resolve this condition. Headlamp operation is not affected while the vehicle is ON. A new headlamp switch is currently under development to correct this condition. Let the customer know they can continue to drive the vehicle and schedule a follow-up appointment in November 2022, when parts are expected to become available. Follow up with the customer to confirm the appointment once OASIS is updated with the repair information.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
FINALLY the admission that there is an issue! Both of my Mach E's have had this.

---------------------
SSM 50869 - 2021-2022 Mustang Mach-E - Headlamps Turn On By Themselves When Vehicle Is Off - DTC B1533
Some 2021-2022 Mustang Mach-E vehicles may exhibit a condition of intermittent headlamp operation while the vehicle is OFF and have diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B1533 stored in the body control module (BCM). This may be due to the internal logic within the headlamp switch. Switch and/or module replacement will not resolve this condition. Headlamp operation is not affected while the vehicle is ON. A new headlamp switch is currently under development to correct this condition. Let the customer know they can continue to drive the vehicle and schedule a follow-up appointment in November 2022, when parts are expected to become available. Follow up with the customer to confirm the appointment once OASIS is updated with the repair information.
Wow a whole new switch in November lmao

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Wow a whole new switch in November lmao
At least they’re working on it!

They have definitely had more urgent matters to attend to though (Bluecruise rollout and now the recall).

SightUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
ARNG
Country flag
Mine is being shipped now. Does that mean I will have to take it in for this new switch?

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag

---------------------
Wow, don't hurt yourselves there with that timeline to rework a headlamp switch that works... as a switch.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
How do DTCs work? So if I have this trouble code and I clear it in FDRS and retest and it then passes, does this mean I don’t actually have this problem? Or if it happens again, it’ll trigger the DTC and the next time I plug into FDRS the DTC will be there again?

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
Is this the issue where sometime the switch goes out of Auto to On and then the car dings at you when you open the door? Or is this a different issue?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Mine is being shipped now. Does that mean I will have to take it in for this new switch?
Depends whether you are "some" or not.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
How do DTCs work? So if I have this trouble code and I clear it in FDRS and retest and it then passes, does this mean I don’t actually have this problem? Or if it happens again, it’ll trigger the DTC and the next time I plug into FDRS the DTC will be there again?
I’d say if it happens constantly and it’s annoying you have this problem, mine happens so infrequently that it’s not a huge deal.

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
If you have the issue then it will store the DTC and then yes you can take it in to get the new switch once it becomes available around Nov.

The DTC will set and stay there for a long time. The car uploads historical DTCs to Ford so they can look and see them if you give them a date it happened. I don't think this one automatically clears but it might after a while.

If you get the DTC and clear it that does not mean you don't have the problem. If you get the DTC at all it means you have the problem...but it is infrequent. I've had it happen a total of about 5 times in 20 months between both cars. One time it happened 2 days in a row and then I haven't had it happen for months.

Is this the issue where sometime the switch goes out of Auto to On and then the car dings at you when you open the door? Or is this a different issue?
Yes this is part of that issue but it also can have the headlights be on when the car is off.

I’d say if it happens constantly and it’s annoying you have this problem, mine happens so infrequently that it’s not a huge deal.
Agreed, it is in frequent but still a little unsettling to have the headlights just be on by themselves randomly.

debsahu

First Name
Deb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 California Route 1 AWD
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
I have the same issue on my ‘22. Someone mentioned that maybe people bump the turn signal stalk (turns on high beam) while getting out. A few times while coming from grocery store, I have observed the only car with lights on while locked was mine!

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
Yes this is part of that issue but it also can have the headlights be on when the car is off.
Yikes that’s a little unsettling to have them just come on.

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Yikes that’s a little unsettling to have them just come on.
Yeah it happened at night to me. My buddy was like 'why are your headlights just on'. It was this issue.

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
I have the same issue on my ‘22. Someone mentioned that maybe people bump the turn signal stalk (turns on high beam) while getting out. A few times while coming from grocery store, I have observed the only car with lights on while locked was mine!
The issue is with the logic inside the headlamps switch. It appears to go to stop communicating with the BCM. When this happens it will turn the headlights on for safety because it doesn't know the switch state. It is a LIN bus connected module so you can't update the software on it.
Sponsored