SSM 50982 - Wireless Charging Pad Inoperative/Slow Charging - iPhone 12/13 Users

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
SSM 50982 2018-2022 Various Ford and Lincoln Vehicles - Wireless Charging Pad Inoperative/Slow Charging - iPhone 12/13 Users

Some 2018-2022 Ford/Lincoln vehicles equipped with a wireless charging pad may exhibit one of the following if the customer is using a Magsafe iPhone (iPhone 12 or 13): slow charging, inoperative, notification that the phone has been mispositioned on the charging pad and/or the phone charging icon in the center screen display is not showing. This may be due to a compatibility issue between the customer's phone and the wireless accessory charging module (WACM) that may make it difficult for Ford and Lincoln vehicles to wirelessly charge these specific phones. The phone can still be charged using the USB cable if the vehicle experiences the above symptoms. If the customer is using a Magsafe iPhone such as an iPhone 12 or 13, verify the wireless charging pad works with a Qi certified phone prior to any part replacements.

----End SSM----

I want to clarify some things about this SSM before dealer confusion sets in. First, this SSM does not invalidate the previously related TSB 22-2265, which is for a WACM (wireless charging module) update to improve charging performance. That TSB is still active. Which means your dealer can (and should) update your WACM per the TSB if you have an update showing up in FDRS.

This SSM is simply to communicate that even with the latest software, iPhone 12/13s may still have poor charging characteristics on Ford's wireless chargers. This SSM also applies to a broad array of vehicles, whereas the TSB is specific to the Mach-E.

As an iPhone 12 user, I can say the WACM update did increase charging rate and reduce heat, the performance is now acceptable but still not great. Whereas before the WACM update the charger was basically unusable due to excessive heat and slow charging. I would still recommend anyone who has the WACM update available get it installed per the linked TSB because it is still a big improvement. Again, the TSB is still active so you should not be turned away from your dealer if you come in wanting the update unless your build date is after April 17th 2022.
Sponsored

COACH CHRIS

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E AWD Select
Country flag
iPhone 13 Mini here. Just had the WACM update completed and can't say there's much of an improvement when it comes to heat. Charging speeds? Eh. The chargers is too slow to notice much one way or another on short drives, but it gets plenty hot. Hopefully they find a fix for future builds.

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Route 1, 2020 Bolt EV
Country flag
I have applied the WACM update and have a iphone 12 pro. Since the update the phone says it remains charging which it did not do prior to the update.

It does appear to be charging at the same rate it is discharging. In my 30-45 minute drives to and from work while using CarPlay for maps and the Podcast app, I arrive at work with the same % I left home or arrive at home at the same % I left work.

Before the update the phone would be down several percent.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
iPhone 13 Mini here. Just had the WACM update completed and can't say there's much of an improvement when it comes to heat. Charging speeds? Eh. The chargers is too slow to notice much one way or another on short drives, but it gets plenty hot. Hopefully they find a fix for future builds.
Yeah, heat is more of my concern. I don't necessarily look for my car to fill up my phone, I just want to be able to use CarPlay without draining my battery, but my phone gets SUPER hot when I go for even fairly short drives

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Yeah, heat is more of my concern. I don't necessarily look for my car to fill up my phone, I just want to be able to use CarPlay without draining my battery, but my phone gets SUPER hot when I go for even fairly short drives
Keep the main screen off CarPlay and it doesn't drain the battery. I usually keep it on the radio so CarPlay is in the background. Then I can leave the phone in my pocket and don't have to charge it.

COACH CHRIS

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E AWD Select
Country flag
Keep the main screen off CarPlay and it doesn't drain the battery. I usually keep it on the radio so CarPlay is in the background. Then I can leave the phone in my pocket and don't have to charge it.
Hmm if I didn't care to use/see CarPlay, I'd have gotten a Tesla. 😆

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
But..... I use CarPlay. Navigation, Spotify and hands-free texting all right there. Putting it in the background pretty much negates all of that. I don't listen to over-the-air radio, ever

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
But..... I use CarPlay. Navigation, Spotify and hands-free texting all right there. Putting it in the background pretty much negates all of that. I don't listen to over-the-air radio, ever
I'm just providing a workaround suggestion to reduce battery drain and heat. Most of the features including music and Siri can run in the background unless you are using a Nav app and need to see the map. I personally run it in the background as much as possible and switch when needed, but I realize other people will want to leave it in the foreground all the time.
Sponsored