SSM 51513 - High Voltage Battery Stops Charging With Illuminated MIL And DTC P2C94 Stored In The SOBDM

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
EDIT: This has been replaced by SSM 51783. The fix timeline has been delayed further from June to August.

SSM 51513 2021-2023 Various Vehicles - High Voltage Battery Stops Charging With Illuminated MIL And DTC P2C94 Stored In The SOBDM

Some 2021-2023 Ford and Lincoln vehicles may exhibit a condition where the high voltage battery stops charging when connected to level 1 or level 2 chargers with an illuminated malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) and diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P2C94 stored in the secondary on-board diagnostic control module A (SOBDM). To restore charging capability, disconnect the off-board charging station charge handle from the vehicle charge port and reconnect. This condition does not affect vehicle durability and no additional diagnosis or service is required for this condition at this time. Inform customers that they can continue to drive the vehicle and engineering is currently working on a solution for this condition that is expected in June 2023. Replacement of the SOBDM will not resolve this condition. Monitor OASIS for additional information.

----End SSM----

P2C94 - Hybrid/EV Battery Contactor Control Supply Circuit Low - Sets when SOBDM senses the contactor relay control circuit voltage is low while the contactor relay is being commanded open.

When the ignition is off and an EVSE is connected to the vehicle the SOBDM sends a signal via low side driver to close the contactor relay located in the BCMC. The contactor relay sends a 12-volt supply voltage to the BECM and the high voltage battery junction box. The SOBDM monitors the contactor relay control circuit voltage to determine if the voltage matches the SOBDM command. If this feedback voltage does not match the command Close - Low or Open - High DTC P2C94:00 or P2C95:00 sets. If DTC P2C94:00 sets the SOBDM terminates or does not initiate charging of the high voltage battery and the Charger Service Required indicator in the IPC is illuminated.

Basically this seems to be some sort of timing glitch, the circuit may already be low from the SOBDMC commanding the circuit ON/closed, which confuses the SOBDM and induces a charge fault. If you get a fault while charging, try unplugging and replugging the J1772 handle and watch the indictor lights (should turn blue immediately). If that doesn't fix the issue, try a high-voltage reset: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ng-service-vehicle-soon-while-charging.26983/
Sponsored

Last edited:

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
SSM 51513 2021-2023 Various Vehicles - High Voltage Battery Stops Charging With Illuminated MIL And DTC P2C94 Stored In The SOBDM

Some 2021-2023 Ford and Lincoln vehicles may exhibit a condition where the high voltage battery stops charging when connected to level 1 or level 2 chargers with an illuminated malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) and diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P2C94 stored in the secondary on-board diagnostic control module A (SOBDM). To restore charging capability, disconnect the off-board charging station charge handle from the vehicle charge port and reconnect. This condition does not affect vehicle durability and no additional diagnosis or service is required for this condition at this time. Inform customers that they can continue to drive the vehicle and engineering is currently working on a solution for this condition that is expected in June 2023. Replacement of the SOBDM will not resolve this condition. Monitor OASIS for additional information.

----End SSM----

P2C94 - Hybrid/EV Battery Contactor Control Supply Circuit Low - Sets when SOBDM senses the contactor relay control circuit voltage is low while the contactor relay is being commanded open.

When the ignition is off and an EVSE is connected to the vehicle the SOBDM sends a signal via low side driver to close the contactor relay located in the BCMC. The contactor relay sends a 12-volt supply voltage to the BECM and the high voltage battery junction box. The SOBDM monitors the contactor relay control circuit voltage to determine if the voltage matches the SOBDM command. If this feedback voltage does not match the command Close - Low or Open - High DTC P2C94:00 or P2C95:00 sets. If DTC P2C94:00 sets the SOBDM terminates or does not initiate charging of the high voltage battery and the Charger Service Required indicator in the IPC is illuminated.

Basically this seems to be some sort of timing glitch, the circuit may already be low from the SOBDMC commanding the circuit ON/closed, which confuses the SOBDM and induces a charge fault. If you get a fault while charging, try unplugging and replugging the J1772 handle and watch the indictor lights (should turn blue immediately). If that doesn't fix the issue, try a high-voltage reset: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ng-service-vehicle-soon-while-charging.26983/
This sounds similar to recent cases after the latest updates

jznd400

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT Grabber Blue
Country flag
Sounds like what just happened to me. Symptoms started a month ago - orange charge port light, charge stopped. After a few on/off cycles of the car and charger, orange light cleared and charging seemed to go back to normal, although at a slower speed.

Several weeks later, orange/red light, not charging, service vehicle soon icon on screen. Dealer diagnosed 5 out of 8 solenoids burned out on part number LK9Z*14G672*C module. Solution was to "Access & remove SOBDMB Module assy for access to OBCC (GT model), replace defective OBCC (On-Board Charge Control) Module." Took a week to get the part, which was backordered.

Car seems to be working for the last few days although I still think the charge speed is slower than before. Latest charge was from 56% to 94% in 8 hrs 10 minutes. I charge at home using the Ford mobile charger that came with the car, on a level 2 circuit with 50amp breaker.

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Sounds like what just happened to me. Symptoms started a month ago - orange charge port light, charge stopped. After a few on/off cycles of the car and charger, orange light cleared and charging seemed to go back to normal, although at a slower speed.

Several weeks later, orange/red light, not charging, service vehicle soon icon on screen. Dealer diagnosed 5 out of 8 solenoids burned out on part number LK9Z*14G672*C module. Solution was to "Access & remove SOBDMB Module assy for access to OBCC (GT model), replace defective OBCC (On-Board Charge Control) Module." Took a week to get the part, which was backordered.

Car seems to be working for the last few days although I still think the charge speed is slower than before. Latest charge was from 56% to 94% in 8 hrs 10 minutes. I charge at home using the Ford mobile charger that came with the car, on a level 2 circuit with 50amp breaker.
Verify the Mobile Charger is showing a 6 kW charge rate in FordPass. If the rate is less than that, you have a defective charger contributing to your issues.

jznd400

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I suspect you're right - the estimated time of charge completion is very variable, jumping around by hours but ultimately slower than normal. I see 3kw charge rate frequently. What's the best way to get this resolved - ask the dealer to diagnose and replace under warranty (is the charger under a 3 year warranty?)

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Guess it wasn’t my EVSE after all.

edit: although my car never threw off any codes

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I suspect you're right - the estimated time of charge completion is very variable, jumping around by hours but ultimately slower than normal. I see 3kw charge rate frequently. What's the best way to get this resolved - ask the dealer to diagnose and replace under warranty (is the charger under a 3 year warranty?)
You probably need a replacement mobile charger since they go bad frequently. You may choose to install a more robust EVSE instead that gives reliable charging.

jznd400

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Dealer tested the charger and is going to replace it. I have to say, Autonation Ford in Bellevue's service department has been great to deal with. National backorder, last one took 4 months to arrive. I'll buy a wall mounted 3rd party charger in the meantime.

Before I dropped it off at the dealer, I monitored the charging:

Start at 70%, est finish time to target 95% ~10 hrs, 7 kW charge rate indicated on app
35 minutes later, 75% charged, est finish time has pushed out 1 hr - 5 kW
1 further hour later, 81% charged, est finish time the same - 4 kw. Orange and blue light on charger
10 minutes later, 82% charged, est finish time now pushed out 2 hrs to 11:32 pm, 3 kw.

I know rate of charge drops as battery gets "full" but this drop is much more dramatic than the charging curves others have posted.

I've seen Ford push back on some posters on this forum when they had charging problems, because they used a non-Ford charger. I'd prefer to buy a non-Ford charger, but am worried about the risk of getting caught in limbo.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Dealer tested the charger and is going to replace it. I have to say, Autonation Ford in Bellevue's service department has been great to deal with. National backorder, last one took 4 months to arrive. I'll buy a wall mounted 3rd party charger in the meantime.

Before I dropped it off at the dealer, I monitored the charging:

Start at 70%, est finish time to target 95% ~10 hrs, 7 kW charge rate indicated on app
35 minutes later, 75% charged, est finish time has pushed out 1 hr - 5 kW
1 further hour later, 81% charged, est finish time the same - 4 kw. Orange and blue light on charger
10 minutes later, 82% charged, est finish time now pushed out 2 hrs to 11:32 pm, 3 kw.

I know rate of charge drops as battery gets "full" but this drop is much more dramatic than the charging curves others have posted.

I've seen Ford push back on some posters on this forum when they had charging problems, because they used a non-Ford charger. I'd prefer to buy a non-Ford charger, but am worried about the risk of getting caught in limbo.
The Ford Mobile Charger (FMC) is notoriously unreliable. I would opt for replacing your defective one and keeping it for occasional on the road use, then getting an aftermarket home EVSE. There are many good ones on the market. Ford should not be able to invalidate any warranty claims because you are using a non-Ford EVSE. 😊🐩

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD | SR
Country flag
This exact issue started for me about 2 or 3 weeks ago. Now I have to unplug and replug roughly every 30-40 when charging stops. Pretty annoying to say the least. On a positive note I only need to charge once or twice a week with the warmer weather.

Hopefully the next software update will fix this problem. If not, back to the dealer 😒.
Sponsored