Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select, 2019 Ram 1500
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Hey All.

I searched and didn't find a post regarding this specific trip. We're about to head to Milledgeville, GA from north of St. Louis. Leaving 12/14 so the weather will be cold. We've got a 21 select with SR battery.

Has anyone made the St. Louis to Atlanta trip before who might have advice? Hotels with at least L2 chargers, etc. We're open to all charging platforms except Tesla as we don't have an adapter (should be get one, we can only get L2 on Tesla right?)

Any recommendations are most welcome. BTW, we've searched ABRP & PlugShare and they both seem to agree on a general route.

Thanks!
Sponsored

hyrulianruffio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e select , 2012 CR-V
Occupation
I.T.
Country flag
I highly recommend getting the Tesla adapter. Many hotels only have Tesla destination chargers. The Tesla adapters do not work with Tesla Super Chargers.

OP
OP
Thunderanger

Thunderanger

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
What's the process for paying at a Tesla Destination charger? Also, what adapter would folks recommend? There seems to be a lot of DCFC options along the route......so I'm not sure I need this.

minders

First Name
Mindee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME Premium AWD ER Space White, 21 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Housewife & Student
Country flag
Just wanted to give a heads up. I'm south of the Atlanta airport by about 30 minutes. If your route brings you anywhere near Peachtree City, GA there is an EA charging station here that is totally dead thanks to a teenager setting the Walmart on fire months ago. :rolleyes: Avoid it at all costs, no entry/security will turn you away. Located at: 2717 GA-54, Peachtree City, GA 30269 Plugshare link for more info. Safe travels!

(Moved this from another thread so I didn't hijack that one)

minders

First Name
Mindee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Housewife & Student
Country flag
What's the process for paying at a Tesla Destination charger? Also, what adapter would folks recommend? There seems to be a lot of DCFC options along the route......so I'm not sure I need this.
The destination chargers are usually free since they're at hotels and resorts. You would just use the Tesla adapter and plug in, it'll start charging automatically. It's not the same as the super chargers you see banks of, it's usually only a few and they're slower than the DCFC banks like Electrify America, for example. The adapter does NOT work at the banks of the Tesla super chargers, BTW. The destination chargers are L2 (level 2).

Sorry I can't recommend an adapter, only had my MME for a month and hubby has a Tesla.

hyrulianruffio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e select , 2012 CR-V
Occupation
I.T.
Country flag
Destination chargers are typically free. You just have to plug it in and it should work.

As far as adapters, this is what I have: https://ev-lectron.com/collections/...tination-chargers-and-mobile-connectors-black

This does not work with DCFC Tesla Super Chargers, but is great to have when traveling. Never know when you might need it if an EA station is down.

OP
OP
Thunderanger

Thunderanger

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Well, after nearly 1900 miles round trip to Milledgeville, GA from Unionville, MO, I can say that for the vast majority of the trip, all went well.

It tooks us awhile to sort out the tricks of trip planning and sharing to the phone, then locating those trips in FordPass Trips. But we figured it out.

Sometimes it would inexplicably switch trips. But otherwise, pretty solid. The mileage guesses we very good, though I'd have had a heart attack several times if I'd charged JUST to the level they suggested before embarking on the next leg.

We ran into multiple chargers along the way that weren't functional, despite doing research on all of them, but found at LEAST one at each location that worked. Some poor guy in a mercedes EV was trying to charge for the first time today in St. Charles, MO and every charger he tried wasn't working. Another gent in an Ionic 5 and myself had the two that were working. I showed him the magic of plug share and other charging apps.

Chargers were nicing spaced along the way with only one taking me too far off the beaten path, and that was in Chattanooga.

I'm sick to death of Wal Mart though. I can assure you of that. And damn it'd be nice if they'd at LEAST put a garbage can near charging stations.....along with a roof. On the way down it poured the whole first day. It's a hair disconcerting standing in the pouring rain, soaked like a rat, hooking up your car to charge at 113kw

My MME performed like a champ the entire way. She's back in the stable now, plugged in to her trusty L2 charger......enjoying a break. Oh, one thing, there is a Tru Hotel in Clarksville, MO that has an L2 Chargepoint charger. Sounded great. Worked great. BUT......they charged a buck an hour and $3 an hour after 10PM. So I woke up to a $30 charging bill. The Hilton property right next door has a FREE L2......Neither were on the plugshare maps.

Questions?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Just wanted to give a heads up. I'm south of the Atlanta airport by about 30 minutes. If your route brings you anywhere near Peachtree City, GA there is an EA charging station here that is totally dead thanks to a teenager setting the Walmart on fire months ago. :rolleyes: Avoid it at all costs, no entry/security will turn you away. Located at: 2717 GA-54, Peachtree City, GA 30269 Plugshare link for more info. Safe travels!

(Moved this from another thread so I didn't hijack that one)
Just to derail this thread a bit, the company I used to work for had a plant in Peachtree City. One of our engineers lived in Newnan. I loved that area when I used to visit.

minders

First Name
Mindee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Housewife & Student
Country flag
Just to derail this thread a bit, the company I used to work for had a plant in Peachtree City. One of our engineers lived in Newnan. I loved that area when I used to visit.
Small world! Nobody has ever heard of Newnan unless they work for Delta or Yamaha. LOL

Also, I believe they have FINALLY opened the charger I said to avoid in post #5 as of a few days ago. Security is still there and you have to talk to them first from what I can tell.

@Thunderanger Glad to hear you had a good trip other than the surprise charging bill! Happy holidays!

OP
OP
Thunderanger

Thunderanger

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Small world! Nobody has ever heard of Newnan unless they work for Delta or Yamaha. LOL

Also, I believe they have FINALLY opened the charger I said to avoid in post #5 as of a few days ago. Security is still there and you have to talk to them first from what I can tell.

@Thunderanger Glad to hear you had a good trip other than the surprise charging bill! Happy holidays!
Thank you, Minders! You too.
Sponsored