Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Rav4 EV, 2021 Mach E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
It doesn't rain much in Phoenix, so garages don't generally get dirty floors like in cold weather areas, but recently it has been raining quite a bit. The car seems to collect a lot of water, presumably in the battery pan or someplace, because when we park it in the garage, it drips more than most cars and leaves brown stains at all four wheel locations. No other car, including my previous EV ever did this. Sure, you get some water dripping, but this is a mess. Is anyone else seeing this?
Sponsored

ShaggySS

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium RWD
Occupation
IT Nerd
Country flag
Yep, I notice the same thing. Have to sweep the water out of the garage occasionally. I am in CA so like you won't be a typical problem but quite odd. I also noticed when you wash the car it holds water someplace in the hatch, and can never get the car completely dry,

fpasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Mustang Mach E Premium RWD SR
@ShaggySS Leaf blower those crevices in the hatch if you have one. It's probably the areas under the window where it meets the spoiler area. And I use leaf blower for all plastic bits that scratch easy. Next time I'll PPF those bits.

I noticed those water puddle too, but don't notice the stains. Could be the rust from the brake rotors. Or maybe my concrete is already the same color and stained. I use 2PD on highways and twisties. I may not have much rust as you guys.

Last edited:

AlpaChino

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium eAWD Ext Range, Rapid Red
Country flag
@ZoNiE That might be water coming off your rotors and brakes. These will always have rust after a rain.

OP
OP
ZoNiE

ZoNiE

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Rust from the brakes? No. I have never seen that, Ever and brake rotors always rust in the rain.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
It doesn't rain much in Phoenix, so garages don't generally get dirty floors like in cold weather areas, but recently it has been raining quite a bit. The car seems to collect a lot of water, presumably in the battery pan or someplace, because when we park it in the garage, it drips more than most cars and leaves brown stains at all four wheel locations. No other car, including my previous EV ever did this. Sure, you get some water dripping, but this is a mess. Is anyone else seeing this?
Yes, the MME holds tons of water underneath and waits to dump it until safely in a clean garage. Yay.

HondaRacer

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 MME GT
Country flag
I have the same. Only have had the car out in the rain once and now I have the brown stains at the front corners on the floor. They’re forward of the wheels so I don’t think it’s rust. It’s where water was dripping from the body. My wife‘s Explorer doesn’t leave stains like this.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I have the same. Only have had the car out in the rain once and now I have the brown stains at the front corners on the floor. They’re forward of the wheels so I don’t think it’s rust. It’s where water was dripping from the body. My wife‘s Explorer doesn’t leave stains like this.
It gets better once they’re house trained 🙃

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Big diaper holds water. Rust is from rotors.

OP
OP
ZoNiE

ZoNiE

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
So the 20 or so cars I've owned that never done this have different brakes somehow?

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
"rust" is the result of the oxidation of iron/steel. Moisture can act as a catalyst. And salts help break that stuff down - floorboards, fenders, side panels, etc. Midwest road salt - and leave the driving to us (some kind of hound, grey, methinks)
Iron + oxygen = iron oxide (red rocks; hemoglobin [red blood])
before oxygen was available in the atmosphere the iron was black.
small puddles after wash, clear w/o color
lots of water after snow ride, with color from road debris
Not sure what you are seeing

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
So the 20 or so cars I've owned that never done this have different brakes somehow?
Unless those 20 cars were EVs with blended braking that used regeneration most of the time, yes. But that's not related to the car holding water.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Well . . . you should see our garages in the North after a snow and the salt truck runs. I'm often lucky if I can hose it out before April.
Sponsored