Standalone Jack/Lift-point "Puck" (DIY 3D Printed)

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E, Ford Escape Hybrid
Occupation
Sr. IT/Product Architect; Enterprise and Cloud Manageability Engineering
Country flag
UPDATED 1/23/23 w/ the improved "Standalone" puck design. Scroll for where to download the 3D STL, strictly for non-commercial use.

Background.... I was very inspired by this thread over here: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...-arrows-to-indicate-proper-jack-points.23182/
So I set about to design my own solution for a MME jack/lift-point puck.

Here is the updated "standalone" version that needs nothing third-party, and is also taller to aid in use with lifts that span the majority of the distance between wheels (taller to avoid the frame that surrounds the battery):
Ford Mustang Mach-E Standalone Jack/Lift-point "Puck" (DIY 3D Printed) 1A5E6A1A-A102-46E6-9AE2-7872CC82CA41

A rendering of the standalone puck design:

For posterity, here is original "gasket" version that requires the third-party aluminum puck:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Standalone Jack/Lift-point "Puck" (DIY 3D Printed) 728ED11C-57B2-48F4-9DEB-8FF0EFBE2A0A

And here is the actual gasket / install aid, printed in flexible TPU 95A:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Standalone Jack/Lift-point "Puck" (DIY 3D Printed) 59A37CE8-EBE1-4CEE-84A9-E25D95D97B05

3D STL's of both versions are available below, and are shared as REQUIRES Attribution and strictly for NON-COMMERCIAL use.
You can print these yourself in TPU 95. If you print them for someone else, these should be passed along "at cost" e.g. your time materials shipping only, e.g. NON-COMMERCIAL.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5779183

And here are the third-party aluminum pucks that were used for the original "gasket" version (per the other thread mentioned at the top):
https://amzn.to/3W2jHY6

Last edited:
OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I had a thought that I could improve upon this and not use the aluminum pucks at all.
The flexible TPU 95 is solid enough to do the job on its own.
I could easily make them friction-fit so that they are designed to only be installed when needed and removed immediately afterward. Stay tuned!

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Looks nice

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I had a thought that I could improve upon this and not use the aluminum pucks at all.
The flexible TPU 95 is solid enough to do the job on its own.
I could easily make them friction-fit so that they are designed to only be installed when needed and removed immediately afterward. Stay tuned!
Yeah I'd rather use something like that. Something that pops in and out easily. Put finger grips or an indentation on it so it's easy to get a grip to pull out. I use rubber pucks right now but they don't stay in the holes that well.

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I use the Tesla pucks. In my experience using both lifts and jacks, it seems the "give" under load of the rubber pucks is an advantage.

Keep the info coming! Your plug port 3-D adapter is a life saver.

OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Testing this prototype now... The retaining flange was an interesting effort. I used a toroid to form the bump-out, then a smaller diameter toroid to cut it hollow, then triangles distributed around the circle to cut the reliefs. Fun fun! I love this stuff. Too bad this kind of work doesn't pay as well as my day job. LOL

EDIT: I ended up increasing the thickness of the puck from 25mm (e.g. 1") shown in the animation to 50mm thick. The reason being so that if the service tech chooses to use a lift that engages the majority of the span between the wheels, the pucks will be "deep" enough to keep the lift off of the trusses that surround the battery.

NOTE: I'm printing in TPU 95 w/ 100% infill, due to the ~1200 lbs of weight on each puck. With zero infill it's taking > 24 hours per puck to print. Wow!

Last edited:
OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
One thing to note. Neither the original based on the aluminum puck, nor this new standalone version offer any means to avoid rotation of the puck. When using a lift it isn't a problem, but when using jacks it will be important to advise the operator to orient the jack 90º / perpendicular to the side of the vehicle. If they come in at an angle from forward/aft of the puck it could cause the puck to rotate and might deform the plastic body trim that the flat-spot in the puck is designed to avoid.

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Testing this prototype now... The retaining flange was an interesting effort. I used a toroid to form the bump-out, then a smaller diameter toroid to cut it hollow, then triangles distributed around the circle to cut the reliefs. Fun fun! I love this stuff. Too bad this kind of work doesn't pay as well as my day job. LOL

EDIT: I ended up increasing the thickness of the puck from 25mm (e.g. 1") shown in the animation to 50mm thick. The reason being so that if the service tech chooses to use a lift that engages the majority of the span between the wheels, the pucks will be "deep" enough to keep the lift off of the trusses that surround the battery.

NOTE: I'm printing in TPU 95 w/ 100% infill, due to the ~1200 lbs of weight on each puck. With zero infill it's taking > 24 hours per puck to print. Wow!

What would you say is the average cost for a set of four pucks, just in materials?

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
EV Sportline is rolling out bullet pucks for the Mach-E I believe. This is great work though.

I looked into a design but ended up with 3D printed “guides” that I screwed into a hockey puck. Worked well for what I needed.

OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
What would you say is the average cost for a set of four pucks, just in materials?
Each puck is ~250g of material. PolyMaker gets $30 for a 750g spool of PolyFlex 95A.
So, for a set of four, that's about $37.50 (not counting my prototyping and the two prints that failed due to bed adhesion issues, nor my time, ~1 day design, and > 4 days printing time).

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Each puck is ~250g of material. PolyMaker gets $30 for a 750g spool of PolyFlex 95A.
So, for a set of four, that's about $37.50 (not counting my prototyping and the two prints that failed due to bed adhesion issues, nor my time, ~1 day design, and > 4 days printing time).

thanks for info.... I was curious how the cost stacked up against retail price of Tesla pucks at $20/set, which require a 5-minute 'trim' with a saw to fit correctly.