reirey

First Name
Reina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I did a quick search if this was covered on another thread but I didn’t find anything about my specific question. Please point me to the thread if you know it’s covered elsewhere… Thanks!

I got a select rwd a couple of months ago and the most range I’ve seen on it is 210 miles. My understanding is that the EPA range is supposed to be 230 miles for all standard range Mach-E, so I’m not sure what/if I’m doing something wrong. I should mention that I do not have means to charge at home so I only charge at public chargers. I’m sticking with EA chargers because I find them the most reliable. With that said, I have yet to fully charge my car since driving it off the dealership with full battery (210 miles). However, when I do the math every time I charge, whether I charge all the way up to 80% or not, it always adds up to 210 miles max range at 100%. So I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong.

I should note that I don’t drive very often or drive far. I usually only have to charge once or twice a month, if that. Not sure if that helps in this.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Sponsored

veronicablack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER Dark Matter Gray
Country flag
I still don't have my car yet but from what I understand, it takes some time for the guess-o-meter to properly calibrate to give a better range estimate. Have you tried taking your miles/kwh number and multiplying that by the useable kilowatts in your battery? I believe that should give you the most accurate estimate of your range.

OP
OP
reirey

reirey

First Name
Reina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I still don't have my car yet but from what I understand, it takes some time for the guess-o-meter to properly calibrate to give a better range estimate. Have you tried taking your miles/kwh number and multiplying that by the useable kilowatts in your battery? I believe that should give you the most accurate estimate of your range.
I have not tried that but I can give it a shot later today. Thanks!

OP
OP
reirey

reirey

First Name
Reina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
My advice is to not worry about it and just drive the car.
Just wanted to make sure I was not doing something wrong. You’re probably right. I will say though that for city driving, the GOM is pretty off. For instance I would drive about 3 miles and the range would decrease more than 5 miles.

ReelSweet

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Other things to consider to increase range - eHeat drains the battery fast (turn off if you can) and use the seat/steering wheel heat instead, change to whisper mode, use one pedal driving for regenerative braking, watch Trips to see where your energy is going and track your kw usage. Sounds like no long trips for you, so maybe not worry about it and charge when the GOM is low.

Last edited:

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I did a quick search if this was covered on another thread but I didn’t find anything about my specific question. Please point me to the thread if you know it’s covered elsewhere… Thanks!

I got a select rwd a couple of months ago and the most range I’ve seen on it is 210 miles. My understanding is that the EPA range is supposed to be 230 miles for all standard range Mach-E, so I’m not sure what/if I’m doing something wrong. I should mention that I do not have means to charge at home so I only charge at public chargers. I’m sticking with EA chargers because I find them the most reliable. With that said, I have yet to fully charge my car since driving it off the dealership with full battery (210 miles). However, when I do the math every time I charge, whether I charge all the way up to 80% or not, it always adds up to 210 miles max range at 100%. So I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong.

I should note that I don’t drive very often or drive far. I usually only have to charge once or twice a month, if that. Not sure if that helps in this.

Thanks in advance for the help!
What was your last car? Did it have a “range” setting that estimated how many miles until empty?

If so, did it equal a full tank of gas multiplied by EPA range? Mine never did.

So if you’re like most people and have been driving a car with an inaccurate GOM for the last couple decades, I’m not sure why you would expect the electric car to be any different.

An ICE GOM cannot predict the future, neither can a BEV GOM. It can guess and adjust based on your driving style and the temperature.

And I never once got the EPA rated fuel economy in my ICE vehicles. I don’t expect to drive the same and do any better with my Mach E.

OP
OP
reirey

reirey

First Name
Reina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Others things to consider to increase range - eHeat drains the batter fast (turn off if you can) and use the seat/steering wheel heat instead, change to whisper mode, use on pedal driving for regenerative braking, watch Trips to see where your energy is going and track your kw usage. Sounds like no long trips for you, so maybe not worry about it and charge when the GOM is low.
Yeah I figured this is the case and have rarely had to turn on heat, and have never needed the A/C yet. I do have 1 pedal on. I have been experimenting with different drive modes since getting the car but will stick with whisper mode from now on when driving around the city.

OP
OP
reirey

reirey

First Name
Reina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
What was your last car? Did it have a “range” setting that estimated how many miles until empty?

If so, did it equal a full tank of gas multiplied by EPA range? Mine never did.

So if you’re like most people and have been driving a car with an inaccurate GOM for the last couple decades, I’m not sure why you would expect the electric car to be any different.

An ICE GOM cannot predict the future, neither can a BEV GOM. It can guess and adjust based on your driving style and the temperature.

And I never once got the EPA rated fuel economy in my ICE vehicles. I don’t expect to drive the same and do any better with my Mach E.
Well, my previous car didn’t have range indicator on it, and this is my first time having one. Not that I expected it to be 100% accurate, but I just thought to ask this question in case I’m doing something wrong.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Well, my previous car didn’t have range indicator on it, and this is my first time having one. Not that I expected it to be 100% accurate, but I just thought to ask this question in case I’m doing something wrong.
No worries, probably half the people who bought the car seem to have the same question. I think it’s just a version of new owner range anxiety.

Something I had to learn from reading since it’s much different than ICE vehicles is that the highway range is less than the city.

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
Mine took about 1000 miles before the estimated range settled in on a realistic figure. For mine, estimated range adjusts when it is charging not when driving. I saw the exact same 5 miles of range used to go 3 miles, usually after driving 12 miles and consuming 10 miles of range. That seems to be the computers way of dealing with the range estimate being off from what it predicted.

Drive mode makes no difference to efficiency. The different modes have different throttle mapping, but no mode is faster or more efficient than any other, except for unbridled extend on the GTs. Regenerative braking is used in all modes whether one pedal drive is active or not.