Nickalz

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Miata
Country flag
Trying to decide on standard range vs extended range… I live in Southern California (inland empire) the commute will be 100 miles round trip max and don’t see myself driving more that 180 miles in a day. We also have a minivan for the occasional road trip. So I’m going back and forth between the premium standard range, premium extended range and the California route 1. Any thoughts ore appreciated…
Sponsored

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
Trying to decide on standard range vs extended range… I live in Southern California (inland empire) the commute will be 100 miles round trip max and don’t see myself driving more that 180 miles in a day. We also have a minivan for the occasional road trip. So I’m going back and forth between the premium standard range, premium extended range and the California route 1. Any thoughts ore appreciated…
I want to use their Blue Drive...... I mostly need it on a long weekend or vacation trips...... so it would be nice to use that car for long trips........ thus I vote for extended range...........

2FlyMache

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Ex4 MachE
Country flag
In my Extended Range AWD premium i use 34% battery power for 96 miles which equates to around 280 miles total range if charged to 100% which I hardly ever do. Based off of your expected driving then a Standard Range should suffice. Just depends on whether you want any other bells and whistles

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
CA Route 1 owner here: I went with range. Mostly because my EV ownership has progressed by range: (Not counting the C-Max Energi in there because it wasn't a BEV)
Focus Electric 70 miles EPA range
Bolt 238 miles EPA range
Thus I wanted the 300 miles range.

With the bigger battery you'll have more options and have to charge it less, thus fewer cycles and it will last longer.

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
For SoCal...... Extended range allows you to go from LA to SD and back on a single charge.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Rarely do people complain that they have too much range. F-150 buyers that forgo the extended range gas tank (36 gallons) and then decide to tow a trailer often bemoan their limited (23 or 26 gallon) range. With our F-150, and no trailer, we can drive 700+ miles without stopping. F-150 owners can spend close to $1,000 to add the bigger tank, it's fuel pump, and program the truck for it. You can't do that with an EV.

Same with AWD in my opinion. When you need it, you need it. If you don't have it, you can't add it.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Do a search on prior threads. This has been asked repeatedly do you can see what others already answered.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Rarely do people complain that they have too much range. F-150 buyers that forgo the extended range gas tank (36 gallons) and then decide to tow a trailer often bemoan their limited (23 or 26 gallon) range. With our F-150, and no trailer, we can drive 700+ miles without stopping. F-150 owners can spend close to $1,000 to add the bigger tank, it's fuel pump, and program the truck for it. You can't do that with an EV.

Same with AWD in my opinion. When you need it, you need it. If you don't have it, you can't add it.
What motor do you have in that F-150. I only have the 23 gal, but I can only realistically get 350 miles per tank in my 2.7l Screw with just the family and some luggage (about 16mpg highway).

ADDZ71

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium ER AWD (sold) 22 MME GT (Del 5/22)
Occupation
Lithium expert
Country flag
I normally answer this question by looking at the back end costs. I believe the depreciation of the Ext Range will be less than the Standard range. That being said as others have when you need it is nice to have in your back pocket. If you can afford the upfront extra cost, I believe that it will pay off long term (although it is still losing value just not as great a rate as the smaller battery). It is kind of like a first generation Leaf which you really can not even give away. IF they would have had let's say double the battery in one of those it would have retained much more value.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
What motor do you have in that F-150. I only have the 23 gal, but I can only realistically get 350 miles per tank in my 2.7l Screw with just the family and some luggage (about 16mpg highway).
V8. On the highway, driving 70 - 75 mph, I get 18 - 19mpg, sometimes 20, depending on the load. 20 is rare though, and usually only hit for part of a trip.

When I tow my boat, I get 12.3. 23 x 12.3 = 283 miles. 36 x 12.3 = 443 miles.

For me, the comparison on the various models was an easy one. Going from standard to the extended battery gains you 59 - 70 miles of range (Premium), i.e. a 28 - 30% improvement in range. Then take 75% of the total range, because you're not going to zero and you can't charge over 80% on the road (yet). No brainer to me.

On the AWD, you lose 19 or 30 miles of range. No big deal.

Edit - I don't look at depreciation or resale value per se, but I think about whether I'm buying what most people are buying, or a "unicorn". Having something "better" generally helps on resale. But I don't buy something I don't want for that reason. Example - F-150 I could have had a SuperCab with the suicide doors and a 6.5' bed, or a CrewCab with a 5.5' bed (because I want my truck inside the garage). I chose the suicide doors because a) I wanted the bigger bed and b) kids are grown and last one was about to move out.

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I also have a CR1, and for the little bit of extra money over the SR premium the extra battery is definitely worth it to me. Even if you don't necessarily plan to use it as your road tripper, once you start driving it that plan might change - driving my wife's Durango is such a step down after my RT1. Even for medium distance trips the extra battery range is worth it - being able to drive in a 2 hour radius without worrying about charging is really nice.

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
I picked standard range 5 months ago because I don't like to pay for what I am not planning to use, and I am not planning to use MME for long trips, we replaced my wife's 15-year old minivan with a new Honda CR-V to have a new reliable car for that.

Time will tell if it was a right decision.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag

People drove for years without AWD... you just don't need it.

My past few cars here in MI have NOT been AWD and I haven't needed it.

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
I picked standard range 5 months ago because I don't like to pay for what I am not planning to use, and I am not planning to use MME for long trips, we replaced my wife's 15-year old minivan with a new Honda CR-V to have a new reliable car for that.

Time will tell if it was a right decision.
CR-V doesn't have Bluecruise..... I was dreaming about autopilot only on long trips...... It would be a shame to get the car with the feature like that and not be able to use it on long trips.

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
People drove for years without AWD... you just don't need it.

My past few cars here in MI have NOT been AWD and I haven't needed it.
My leaf was hit hard from the backside on the highway.......... the rear wheel popped off..... I was soooo happy that nissan leaf is front wheel drive at that moment....
Sponsored