Start, lock, check battery status, and more, directly from your Android launcher! (Google Assistant, Google Home)

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Obviously you can do all sorts of things from the FordPass app. But you have to launch it first and maybe that's inconvenient.

FordPass also offers a bunch of voice integrations with Google Assistant. To start, from an Android phone, ask Google Assistant for help: "Ask FordPass for my vehicle's charge status."

Once you've linked those two together, you can use your voice to query and command your vehicle from your phone or other Google Assistant devices like smart speakers.

That's great and all, except sometimes you might prefer to interact quietly or more quickly. I found two ways to do this. With both options you need to do some work to set up the shortcuts on your launcher ("home screen") but once you've done that you're just one tap away from vehicle stuff in the future.

Option 1 is the easy way. You install Action Blocks from the Google Play store and then it guides you through the process. You'll be creating a custom action like "Ask FordPass to check my vehicle's charge status" or "Ask FordPass to start my vehicle using pin 8675309."

Ford Mustang Mach-E Start, lock, check battery status, and more, directly from your Android launcher! (Google Assistant, Google Home) action blocks 01

It will guide you through this workflow and even lets you assign photos and resize the resulting shortcuts how you want them.

To keep this stealth, be sure to turn off the "Speak action out loud" and "Vibrate" options.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Start, lock, check battery status, and more, directly from your Android launcher! (Google Assistant, Google Home) action blocks 02

Option 2 doesn't require you to install any new apps. Google Assistant already has a way to make custom action shortcuts on your launcher, but it's a lot of steps and I don't think you'll be able to choose your own icon. For the minimalists among us, here's an illustrated guide.

First, open Google Assistant's Routines page:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Start, lock, check battery status, and more, directly from your Android launcher! (Google Assistant, Google Home) 01

Create a new routine:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Start, lock, check battery status, and more, directly from your Android launcher! (Google Assistant, Google Home) 02

Add one or more voice command Starters:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Start, lock, check battery status, and more, directly from your Android launcher! (Google Assistant, Google Home) 03

Ford Mustang Mach-E Start, lock, check battery status, and more, directly from your Android launcher! (Google Assistant, Google Home) 04

Ford Mustang Mach-E Start, lock, check battery status, and more, directly from your Android launcher! (Google Assistant, Google Home) 05

Add the Custom Action that should occur when you use any of your Starters:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Start, lock, check battery status, and more, directly from your Android launcher! (Google Assistant, Google Home) 06

Ford Mustang Mach-E Start, lock, check battery status, and more, directly from your Android launcher! (Google Assistant, Google Home) 07

Type in, or use the microphone, to enter your action. Here's an example for starting the vehicle. You have to provide the PIN that you created while linking FordPass and Google Assistant. Otherwise each time you run your action you'll be prompted for the PIN.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Start, lock, check battery status, and more, directly from your Android launcher! (Google Assistant, Google Home) 08

Tap Done and tap Save to save the new Routine. The first voice Starter that you've specified will be its name. You might want to choose something short for that so it looks nice later on when you've pinned it to your launcher.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Start, lock, check battery status, and more, directly from your Android launcher! (Google Assistant, Google Home) 09

Now you're ready to add the launcher shortcut! Reopen the new routine and tap the icon that I've outlined in green.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Start, lock, check battery status, and more, directly from your Android launcher! (Google Assistant, Google Home) 10

Ford Mustang Mach-E Start, lock, check battery status, and more, directly from your Android launcher! (Google Assistant, Google Home) 11

Almost done!

When this popup appears, hold your finger on the white circle with the blue wand and then slowly drag your finger away. This will present your launcher and let you decide where you'd like to place the shortcut.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Start, lock, check battery status, and more, directly from your Android launcher! (Google Assistant, Google Home) 12

All finished... Here are some shortcuts that I can just tap to run whenever I need them.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Start, lock, check battery status, and more, directly from your Android launcher! (Google Assistant, Google Home) 13

Last edited:

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
Nice work! Makes me wish I was still on Android

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Too bad my android watch can't run routines.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Very cool. I got lost at action blocks but it seems like a lot of folks might have fun with these features. Thanks for taking the time to post a step by step. I bet even someone as tech challenged as myself could make it work with your helpful guidance.

OP
OP
macchiaz-o

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Very cool. I got lost at action blocks but it seems like a lot of folks might have fun with these features. Thanks for taking the time to post a step by step. I bet even someone as tech challenged as myself could make it work with your helpful guidance.
Yeah I probably should have split this to multiple posts. Action Blocks are really easy to set up. All the photos after that were Option 2 which doesn't need Action Blocks but it's more steps and not as easy.

Give it a shot! Action Blocks are for older folks with limited cognition. And for you and me!!!

babgvant

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
Is the list of commands available anywhere? I would love to be able to open the frunk this way.

OP
OP
macchiaz-o

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Is the list of commands available anywhere? I would love to be able to open the frunk this way.
I haven't found the complete list. I've experimented and stumbled into things like "ask FordPass for my vehicle's battery status."

Let us know if you find something cool.

babgvant

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
It does not understand "Open frunk", correctly... That's disappointing :).

PalsyWalsy

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus 400H, Lexus 300H, Buick Enclave, Mach E GT
Occupation
School Administration
Country flag
I wont be able to check till tomorrow, but sometimes it is the term used within the language of the app. It may not understand "open" because Fordpass may use the term "unlock" if that makes sense. You may need to experiment.

ldtrebe

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E, 2012 Roush Stage 3, 2010 Raptor
Country flag
Trying the Google Assistant method... All I get is an error message when trying to link my google account to the ford pass app to get the pin... other than that the routine is set up. I do not know what else to do to get pin.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How do you add a 2nd car? Can't find out within FordPass to get to Google Assistant again.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sold the 2021, so I don't need two cars connected, which I never was able to do. But, now that I only have one, it says Google Assistant and FordPass aren't linked. I can find no way to get them to try and link...

Found it.

krazieboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
This may be a dumb question, but i had this linked a while back.. where do i find the pin ><

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This may be a dumb question, but i had this linked a while back.. where do i find the pin ><
The PIN that you created during the above procedure? It was in my stored routines. If you didn't write it down, and didn't create a routine, I have no idea where you would find it.

You could go unlink FordPass from your Google account, and redo the procedure, and write the PIN down this time.

krazieboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
The PIN that you created during the above procedure? It was in my stored routines. If you didn't write it down, and didn't create a routine, I have no idea where you would find it.

You could go unlink FordPass from your Google account, and redo the procedure, and write the PIN down this time.
that's the part where i forgot, if i created it, or it was auto generated. been a while since i've linked it and then did absolutly nothing
Sponsored