Starting to get worried now lol

Thunderbirdsoundsbetter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME P ER
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Starting to get worried now lol 7B5376DA-BB9F-47EB-9773-71EA2C054FFC

Ford Mustang Mach-E Starting to get worried now lol 9ACA63D8-A841-4C35-B0DB-E9BB843612BD

I’m at 22k miles now and have something that is bothering me. My morning commute is about under 110 miles. I just took a picture after and it’s showing 38% with 85 miles left. I leave the house at 100% everyday. It’s not even that cold outside.

should I start worrying for the colder weather that is to come? I have a prem extended awd.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Basics:
Cold weather = less range
GOM = generally really pessimistic
Do your own range calculations (reset a trip for a while)
Precondition

Probably a billion threads on this lol

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Precondition when you can while plugged in. Also maybe map out any DCFC along your route as a just in case, or even a J1772. I don't think you have anything to worry about, there is another thread where a user did an extreme cold test (-35 degrees) and got 150 miles out of the car, and that is just about the worst case scenario, he left it outside, didn't precondition, etc.

I think you will be fine though. Even if things looked sketchy on the drive home, you could turn off HVAC and run on just heated seats/steering wheel and get a few more miles. But again, don't think that will ever be the case.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
@Thunderbirdsoundsbetter, there are a few NJ residents on the forum that might be able to provide a bit of guidance regarding cold wx ops in the Mach-e. Some clarification on your daily usage might be in order though. 110 miles each way? Or 110 miles round trip. Those are two very different commutes.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
OP’s post wasn’t clear. Did you need 220 miles daily on one charge? If that’s the case, I think your worry is justified in winter.
And if it is 220 round trip, do you have charging at work?

If 110 round trip, or charging at home and work you should be fine. If 110 each way, that's a lot of driving... That explains the 22 thousand miles already...

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Everyone just keeps giving the same answers, its the cold. However, one thing only a few people have mentioned is your tire pressure. With the colder temps its going to be lower, so make sure you get it back up to at least the recommended 38psi.

I had the same issue with just the temps being 65 in the morning then getting back up to the low 70's. Did not even think about tire pressure, checked the car and it was saying 37 and sometimes 36 when cold. I aired them up, all 4 tires were at 35.1 to 35.3, so much lower than the TPSM showed. Oddly enough, I filled all the tires to 39.1 and the car is showing all 4 at 39. Not too sure why it was not showing 35, I got 35 on two different meters.

The last two days I have driven to work and used 3% less on my battery than before. So yes, cold will do it, but so will under inflated tires.

OP
OP

Thunderbirdsoundsbetter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME P ER
Country flag
Precondition when you can while plugged in. Also maybe map out any DCFC along your route as a just in case, or even a J1772. I don't think you have anything to worry about, there is another thread where a user did an extreme cold test (-35 degrees) and got 150 miles out of the car, and that is just about the worst case scenario, he left it outside, didn't precondition, etc.

I think you will be fine though. Even if things looked sketchy on the drive home, you could turn off HVAC and run on just heated seats/steering wheel and get a few more miles. But again, don't think that will ever be the case.
I always leave it outside but I don’t think we’ll ever get below 0 in nj anytime soon so it’s kind of sad to see it’s under 200miles at around 40-45 degrees.

OP
OP

Thunderbirdsoundsbetter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME P ER
Country flag
@Thunderbirdsoundsbetter, there are a few NJ residents on the forum that might be able to provide a bit of guidance regarding cold wx ops in the Mach-e. Some clarification on your daily usage might be in order though. 110 miles each way? Or 110 miles round trip. Those are two very different commutes.
I do about 250 a day.

OP
OP

Thunderbirdsoundsbetter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME P ER
Country flag
Everyone just keeps giving the same answers, its the cold. However, one thing only a few people have mentioned is your tire pressure. With the colder temps its going to be lower, so make sure you get it back up to at least the recommended 38psi.

I had the same issue with just the temps being 65 in the morning then getting back up to the low 70's. Did not even think about tire pressure, checked the car and it was saying 37 and sometimes 36 when cold. I aired them up, all 4 tires were at 35.1 to 35.3, so much lower than the TPSM showed. Oddly enough, I filled all the tires to 39.1 and the car is showing all 4 at 39. Not too sure why it was not showing 35, I got 35 on two different meters.

The last two days I have driven to work and used 3% less on my battery than before. So yes, cold will do it, but so will under inflated tires.
Tire pressure shows 38. I’m just getting worried that 40 degree weather causes almost half the mileage to go bye bye. I only had the car for half a year and I’m not sure how long it’ll last.

Krimpy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e EXT AWD Space White, 2016 Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Starting to get worried now lol 9ACA63D8-A841-4C35-B0DB-E9BB843612BD

I’m at 22k miles now and have something that is bothering me. My morning commute is about under 110 miles. I just took a picture after and it’s showing 38% with 85 miles left. I leave the house at 100% everyday. It’s not even that cold outside.

should I start worrying for the colder weather that is to come? I have a prem extended awd.
Yeah, I would agree with you. I had range anxiety in the beginning but the range anxiety I have no that winter is approaching is nuts!

I’ve already drained it to empty and needed a tow and I did everything g Ford tells you to do and then some.

no heat for about 60 miles, didn’t even use seat warmers and it wasn’t that cold out forWI. Maybe around 35 f.

this is a major concern as I have the same vehicle as you. I’m no engineer but one would think there would be a way to only operate one of the electric motors unless you need all wheel drive and that would save on battery big time. Watching people talk about get 3.5+ kWh is sickening when I am ecstatic at 2.5 but you can’t really have any air or heat on if you want to hit that number and sure better not hit 70mph or you’ll never reach it. My favorite is 100% charge and it says 138 miles. Wow you shouldn’t have. ?