Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I would think expecting 220 miles in winter is probably unrealistic. I expect an average of 1/3 loss in the winter. With some days better and some days worse. Since EPA on our AWD ER’s is 270, that means I expect to be able to average 180 miles at full charge. Or 162 if I only charge to 90%.
I live in Northern NY and temps between 0-20°F are very common with some extended stretches around -10°.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Thunderbirdsoundsbetter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME P ER
Country flag
Man, I hate to say this but you might be like one of the very few people who probably shouldn't get an EV. 250 miles a day?
and I even got a home charger installed too. I never thought it would go below 200 miles. My gomdoesn’t even compute the kwh/hour anymore just stays at 3.7. It’s 3.7 90% of the time.

OP
OP

Thunderbirdsoundsbetter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME P ER
Country flag
I would think expecting 220 miles in winter is probably unrealistic. I expect an average of 1/3 loss in the winter. With some days better and some days worse. Since EPA on our AWD ER’s is 270, that means I expect to be able to average 180 miles at full charge. Or 162 if I only charge to 90%.
I live in Northern NY and temps between 0-20°F are very common with some extended stretches around -10°.
woah if I see 160 at 100% I’m probably gonna dump the car soon. I can’t imagine those temps in northern jersey most of the time

OP
OP

Thunderbirdsoundsbetter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME P ER
Country flag
Yeah, I would agree with you. I had range anxiety in the beginning but the range anxiety I have no that winter is approaching is nuts!

I’ve already drained it to empty and needed a tow and I did everything g Ford tells you to do and then some.

no heat for about 60 miles, didn’t even use seat warmers and it wasn’t that cold out forWI. Maybe around 35 f.

this is a major concern as I have the same vehicle as you. I’m no engineer but one would think there would be a way to only operate one of the electric motors unless you need all wheel drive and that would save on battery big time. Watching people talk about get 3.5+ kWh is sickening when I am ecstatic at 2.5 but you can’t really have any air or heat on if you want to hit that number and sure better not hit 70mph or you’ll never reach it. My favorite is 100% charge and it says 138 miles. Wow you shouldn’t have. ?
I never went empty yet. Worst was 8% and the car automatically started shutting down everything. I fly by as hitting 100+ mph in such a short amount of time is mind blogging every time.

100% at 138?!?!? I would have asked for a refund lol

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
woah if I see 160 at 100% I’m probably gonna dump the car soon. I can’t imagine those temps in northern jersey most of the time
Captain obvious time! If you can charge (mostly) at home doing 250 miles a day means the car largely pays for its self in gas savings. Leaving it on a level 1 charger at work might be a all you need to stretch through the winter.

Thor2j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT , Ford Raptor
Country flag
I'm in colorado at 8000 feet elevation. Been below 50 for the entire 3 weeks I've had car. At night 20-30. Use heat at 68 and low front seat heater. GT. Show 210-220 when 100%.

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium Infinite Blue SR AWD
Country flag
and I even got a home charger installed too. I never thought it would go below 200 miles. My gomdoesn’t even compute the kwh/hour anymore just stays at 3.7. It’s 3.7 90% of the time.
Reset one of your trip meters. If the displayed 3.7MPK is over your 22k miles average, it'll take some time for that average to drop and it'll never reflect your actual MPK in the winter. My trip 2 was going to be my lifetime average, but I discovered that it rolled back to 1 after 10k miles. Now trip 2 will be a monthly reset.

I'm in NJ as well. I always reset trip 1 with every charge. In the past couple of weeks, my MPK has dropped to 3.3 from my usual 3.7. The usual 52 mile round trip I take used to consume 20% of the charge. It's been using 25% in the past couple of weeks. This morning it was 28 degrees so I suspect it'll use more today.

Sorry to break it to you, but if my daily commute is 250 miles and it's my only car, it will not be an EV. I know because I drove a Tesla model 3 over 3 NJ winters. In the very worst it more than halved its 310 mile rated range, but 30% was typical. So when I bought the MME I know full well what I was getting into. Can't say for certain yet since we're still a month from winter, but the MME is so far performing above my expectations, using 25% to travel 52 miles with the heat on auto 68. I have the SR AWD.

OP
OP

Thunderbirdsoundsbetter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME P ER
Country flag
Reset one of your trip meters. If the displayed 3.7MPK is over your 22k miles average, it'll take some time for that average to drop and it'll never reflect your actual MPK in the winter. My trip 2 was going to be my lifetime average, but I discovered that it rolled back to 1 after 10k miles. Now trip 2 will be a monthly reset.

I'm in NJ as well. I always reset trip 1 with every charge. In the past couple of weeks, my MPK has dropped to 3.3 from my usual 3.7. The usual 52 mile round trip I take used to consume 20% of the charge. It's been using 25% in the past couple of weeks. This morning it was 28 degrees so I suspect it'll use more today.

Sorry to break it to you, but if my daily commute is 250 miles and it's my only car, it will not be an EV. I know because I drove a Tesla model 3 over 3 NJ winters. In the very worst it more than halved its 310 mile rated range, but 30% was typical. So when I bought the MME I know full well what I was getting into. Can't say for certain yet since we're still a month from winter, but the MME is so far performing above my expectations, using 25% to travel 52 miles with the heat on auto 68. I have the SR AWD.
This is my first ev. I have other cars but I just get annoyed moving them to get to them. It’s like my shoes. I just wear the first ones I see. Also summer tires don’t help.

i read about the range loss but I didn’t expect it to be this severe. I was thinking of getting a model s, but now I’m guessing it’ll be the same rodeo.

OP
OP

Thunderbirdsoundsbetter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME P ER
Country flag
Ok, now I need to ask.... why!

You don't need to change EV to ICE you need to change residence! ;)
Don’t. I just moved and it’s closer but not by much. Happy wife happy life? I guess I won’t complain as much when my new exotic comes in next year ;)

llinthicum1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Ford Mustang, 2020 Ford Escape
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Just another hurdle, winter driving, for BEVs to resolve. I don't believe the Mach-e has a heat pump. If it did, that may help. Also, I agree if Mach-e had a drive mode that would not direct power to the front motor, that may help some too.

jparduhn70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
I took my car to Tennessee last Sunday to stay down there for the winter avoiding the horrible road salt they use here in Chicagoland. It was 37° most of the drive down and I was averaging 1.8mi/KWh at 72mph. The last time I made the drive in the spring when it was over 50° most of the time I was closer to 2.8mi/KWh. I was able to make the stretch between Indianapolis and Georgetown, KY on a charge with no issues in March, but last week, I had to go out of my way to an EA charger north of Cincy to charge enough to make that stop in Kentucky, which added almost 45 extra miles to my drive. When I got to Tennessee and charged to 100%, the GOM told me 218, not the 254 I had when I left Illinois. Long story short, the cold weather impact to range is real.

Tom L

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Clarity
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Precondition when you can while plugged in. Also maybe map out any DCFC along your route as a just in case, or even a J1772. I don't think you have anything to worry about, there is another thread where a user did an extreme cold test (-35 degrees) and got 150 miles out of the car, and that is just about the worst case scenario, he left it outside, didn't precondition, etc.

I think you will be fine though. Even if things looked sketchy on the drive home, you could turn off HVAC and run on just heated seats/steering wheel and get a few more miles. But again, don't think that will ever be the case.
Vulnox is giving good advice. I'd follow it and you'll know where you stand.
Sponsored