Steeda Front Sway Bar! It is awesome. Transforms the car into what it should be.

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Mine has evidence of hitting also.

The pictures are from the driver side.

This one was taken with the steering wheel turned all the way to the right:
20220923_151307.jpg

20220923_151221.jpg

This one was taken with the steering wheel turned all the way to the left, but not locked because I had to get out of the car to take the picture and the wheel moved back to its full left resting position.
20220923_153007.jpg

There looks like there is plenty of room but obviously there isn't. I think I shifted the bar mounting brackets all the way toward the rear of the car so maybe moving them forward will help? I really don't want to grind them down, but I guess that may be the ultimate answer.
To gain clearance I just pushed the mounting brackets all the way towards the front of the car in the slots. I can’t say this alone would be the fix in all setups, but it works for me on the middle setting of the bar. It’s also fairly easy to do. Let me know if you try it before grinding it down because I will eventually go to stiffest setting.

OP
OP
mkhuffman

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
To gain clearance I just pushed the mounting brackets all the way towards the front of the car in the slots. I can’t say this alone would be the fix in all setups, but it works for me on the middle setting of the bar. It’s also fairly easy to do. Let me know if you try it before grinding it down because I will eventually go to stiffest setting.
How do you know it worked? It is hard to tell visually. I think after I shift the bar forward, I will repaint the end of the bar, so if it hits again, I will be able to tell.

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
How do you know it worked? It is hard to tell visually. I think after I shift the bar forward, I will repaint the end of the bar, so if it hits again, I will be able to tell.
I plan on doing the same, I haven’t gotten the paint yet. It was pretty obvious in my case when it was rubbing, there was an audible noise and it’s gone now. I should be able to get some paint on it tomorrow.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I believe when I installed mine, I pushed the bracket all the way forward so it was easier for me to tighten the rear bolts on the brackets. I had said earlier in a post that I've put over 1000 miles on the car since installing the front bar and have not heard any noises or felt anything unusual. I won't get back to my car until Monday but when I get home, I'm going to check this all out and report back if I have rubbing issues or not.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I believe when I installed mine, I pushed the bracket all the way forward so it was easier for me to tighten the rear bolts on the brackets. I had said earlier in a post that I've put over 1000 miles on the car since installing the front bar and have not heard any noises or felt anything unusual. I won't get back to my car until Monday but when I get home, I'm going to check this all out and report back if I have rubbing issues or not.
When I installed mine, they were slid a little farther back than half way. Contact for mine appears pretty minimal. No noises to speak of. I need to get some paint but once I do I’m going to slide mine forward first then see if it needs any more clearance. 🤷‍♂️🐩

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
My wife rode in my car for the first time since I installed the sway bars the other day. After yelling at me for taking corners way too fast 🙃 she said that the Mach-E now felt like a sports car where it felt like an SUV before. She also said unprompted that it was way less bouncy. So I can confirm it’s less bouncy and more comfortable ride along with the performance improvements.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
My wife rode in my car for the first time since I installed the sway bars the other day. After yelling at me for taking corners way too fast 🙃 she said that the Mach-E now felt like a sports car where it felt like an SUV before. She also said unprompted that it was way less bouncy. So I can confirm it’s less bouncy and more comfortable ride along with the performance improvements.
Good enough for me. When my bank account equalizes, I’ll get these ordered. Maybe by then I’ll be out of HVBJB hell and be have some performance back to test them myself. Please thank your wife for her honest review.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Can someone explain to me “pushing the bracket all the way forward.” I didn’t realize that there is leeway on how it is installed other than the settings at the end of the bar.

I don’t have the front sway bar and I am trying to visualize what you are talking about.

the back one was installed On my car

OP
OP
mkhuffman

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
OP
OP
mkhuffman

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks, I must have missed that, I would think of all the abuse a car takes there wouldn't be any slack or leeway like that as it might move a bit. But then again I don’t know much about these things.
With as tight as those bolts are, I would be surprised if anything moves, but I don't know much about these things either.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tanner, back in early August when I installed the front sway bar (installed the rear one back in February) I mentioned that the ride seemed smoother in this post: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...car-into-what-it-should-be.20263/#post-481401 but was hesitant to really talk about it as I thought I may be imagining things.

While I don't have much in the way of roads around where I live that would induce bounce, I felt that the car was less bouncy feeling. I've been asked by several members if it's less bouncy and I was hesitant in saying yes because the last time I did a mod that I felt made the car less bouncy (on my premium) apparently after other members did the same mod, they felt it didn't change anything. This is when I changed out the springs and shocks/struts on my premium for the GT versions which are more firm.

I feel the reason this time the car feels smoother riding and a little less bouncy is because of those tight rubber bushings on the OEM bar that don't allow it to travel up and down freely. I've never seen a sway bar with bushings like this before and not sure why Ford designed it this way. There has to be a reason and I've searched a little online but couldn't find anything. I think having the sway bars easily move up and down, allows the springs and shocks to do their job without any interference. I really want to know why Ford did what they did on those bushings.

Mike also noted the ride felt smoother and now you have noted the same thing so now I know I wasn't just imagining things. While it's not a huge difference, it definitely does ride smoother with a bit less bounce.

Last edited:

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So it looks like we have to deal with the front bar possibly coming in contact in two areas (on a non-GT). A water pump connector and the tie rod.

Steeda informed Anton in order to have better clearance between the bar and the pump connector was to slide the bar all the way to the rear in the bracket when mounting. However, now that it has been noted by Tanner and other members that the end of the bars have been coming in contact with the tie rod, it would be better if the sway bar was pushed all the way forward in the bracket when mounting to allow clearance for that problem.

I think the solution here for Anton's premium is to do what Tanner did and bend the bracket of the water pump to allow it to clear the bar and then when mounting the bar, push it all the way forward in the bracket to allow the bar ends to clear the tie rods. Of course if there's still a problem with the bar contacting the tie rods, then the only other solution is to grind a bit off the ends of the bar.

Last edited:

Godawgs

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E4X Ordered
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
So it looks like we have to deal with the front bar possibly coming in contact in two areas (on a non-GT). A water pump connector and the tie rod.

Steeda informed Anton in order to have better clearance between the bar and the pump connector was to slide the bar all the way to the rear in the bracket when mounting. However, now that it has been noted by Tanner and other members that the end of the bars have been coming in contact with the tie rod, it would be better if the sway bar was pushed all the way forward in the bracket when mounting to allow clearance for that problem.

I think the solution here for Anton's premium is to do what Tanner did and bend the bracket of the water pump to allow it to clear the bar and then when mounting the bar, push it all the way forward in the bracket to allow the bar ends to clear the tie rods. Of course if there's still a problem with the bar contacting the tie rods, then the only other solution is to grind a bit off the ends of the bar.
Really hoping they come out with a 2.0 version that has the ends modified. I don’t have a grinder and even if I did I’m not sure I’d be comfortable doing it because if something went wrong all the liability would be on me for modifying their tested product. I really want to get these though, these reviews are making me so jealous.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Thanks for this update

I would think the easiest thing would be for Steeda to grind a bit off as @Godawgs mentioned

considering I would have a shop do this, the more they have to do, the dicier it would be. Personally I like easy, no drama
Sponsored