Steeda Front Sway Bar! It is awesome. Transforms the car into what it should be.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I did the grind this weekend also. I am posting pictures below, but I am a little embarrassed because my cuts look very rough compared to the others who posted pictures that are so good it looks like it came that way from Streeda.

I am going to blame my equipment instead my skill. So at least I can maintain some level of pride in my work. 😎 My grinder was small enough to fit down the gap, but it was tight.

20221008_150204.jpg

I turned the the wheel back and forth trying to make it easier to reach, but it was still quite tight. I bumped one of the rods by accident and put a mark on it. Awesome. But really not a big deal IMO.

I placed tin foil around the sway bar to prevent the shards of burning metal from going places I didn't want them to go. I actually caught one of my rags on fire as it was too close to the grinding action. Super cool.

20221008_140643.jpg

I painted the ends using Rust-Oleum paint. The paint matches pretty closely but it isn't perfect.

20221008_150245.jpg

Before painting I covered everything I could around the end to prevent paint over spray.

Even though the cuts are rough, I think it looks OK. All I really care about is preventing the interference and preventing rust.

Driver side:
20221008_141206.jpg

Passenger side:
20221008_150054.jpg

I will check them again in a month or so and see if the grinding worked. My bar is biased all the way to the front of the car and I didn't shift it back. So it will be interesting to see if the cutting is all that is necessary, or if I need to shift the bar rearward as well.
Mike

have you checked them again to see if any rubbing?

thanks

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Mike

thanks
Hey Ken, while waiting for Mike's reply, I can tell you it's been more than a month and well over 1000 miles since I've modified my front sway bar and there's been no more rubbing. John's had his modified front bar on for a month now and don't believe he's had any issues either and pretty sure same with Steve.

I find it difficult to believe that Steeda claims that the bars they've installed haven't had any issues while all the ones that members here have installed that weren't modified, including myself, had issues with rubbing.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hey Ken, while waiting for Mike's reply, I can tell you it's been more than a month and well over 1000 miles since I've modified my front sway bar and there's been no more rubbing. John's had his modified front bar on for a month now and don't believe he's had any issues either and pretty sure same with Steve.

I find it difficult to believe that Steeda claims that the bars they've installed haven't had any issues while all the ones that members here have installed that weren't modified, including myself, had issues with rubbing.
Thanks Mark

hear you. I will have the car in Florida and was thinking of having Steeda do the install as I thought it would be convenient for me.

if they won’t cut the front bar (and they have told me there is no problem) I will wait until the spring when car is back north and cut It myself and have local independent shop install. Would love to do it myself but at my age with already having neck and back surgery, not happening.

appreciate the feedback as always.

OP
OP
mkhuffman

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Mike

thanks
Same as others: no interference now. I have driven 1200 miles since the day of grinding.

Left side:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Steeda Front Sway Bar! It is awesome. Transforms the car into what it should be. 1667323851068

Right side:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Steeda Front Sway Bar! It is awesome. Transforms the car into what it should be. 1667323912420

ALTANertive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Have gone a few hundred miles on the Steeda front and rear sway bars at the stiffest setting. Echoing what most have said, compared to stock GTPE, interestingly there is an improvement in general ride comfort. Seems less bouncy, and when it does get bouncy it feels more controlled than jarring. Turn in is noticeably sharper. The first time I had to correct the other direction since I wasn't expecting it. I'm satisfied as I feel it has improved both daily and spirited driving.

cafdiniz

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I just shifted the bar all the way forward in the bushing bracket slots and it gave it enough clearance but grinding some off would probably be better. Let me know if you find a good paint match, I’d like to fix mine also.
Hey Tanner, can you share more about how it drives now that you changed from hole 2 to 3? I have a Premium AWD ER and plan to get this front sway bar as soon as I finish going through all these posts. Thanks!

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
No rubbing since I cut mine. Definite running (with associated clunking noises and groans) before cutting. Definite paint transfer from the bar ends to the tie rod ends. 😊🐩

Yep, an uncut bar doesn’t rub. Not. 🤣🐩

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Hey Tanner, can you share more about how it drives now that you changed from hole 2 to 3? I have a Premium AWD ER and plan to get this front sway bar as soon as I finish going through all these posts. Thanks!
I definitely echo what everyone else is saying - just skip the second hole and put it on the firmest setting from the start. I didn’t have any degradation in ride quality, I would go as far to say it’s improved. The ride suspension feels more controlled and sporty compared to the medium setting. In medium the body was pitching more in the front when cornering hard, that motion is basically gone now and it stays relatively flat. Better transitions between turns in the stiff setting too. No regrets going stiffer whatsoever. You will be very happy with your purchase! Also, should definitely cut off the end prior to install. Much easier and I don’t see any reason to ever try the softest hole.

cafdiniz

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I definitely echo what everyone else is saying - just skip the second hole and put it on the firmest setting from the start. I didn’t have any degradation in ride quality, I would go as far to say it’s improved. The ride suspension feels more controlled and sporty compared to the medium setting. In medium the body was pitching more in the front when cornering hard, that motion is basically gone now and it stays relatively flat. Better transitions between turns in the stiff setting too. No regrets going stiffer whatsoever. You will be very happy with your purchase! Also, should definitely cut off the end prior to install. Much easier and I don’t see any reason to ever try the softest hole.
Great summary! Thanks!

chobald

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME California Route 1, Hyundai Palisade
Country flag
Just came across this as I am going to get my Front and rear sways put on Wednesday at a shop. I am pretty handy but don't have the equipment to install sway bars or cut the bars at home - I think. I don't have a grinder and have a battery powered sawzall, some clamps..

Out of town for work and I don't get home till tomorrow night so I am gonna have to figure out how to mod the front bar pretty fast..

OP
OP
mkhuffman

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just came across this as I am going to get my Front and rear sways put on Wednesday at a shop. I am pretty handy but don't have the equipment to install sway bars or cut the bars at home - I think. I don't have a grinder and have a battery powered sawzall, some clamps..

Out of town for work and I don't get home till tomorrow night so I am gonna have to figure out how to mod the front bar pretty fast..
As expected, the metal is very thick. You need a metal blade and some patience, and maybe your sawzall will do it. Paint the ends with Rust-Oleum if you can.

chobald

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME California Route 1, Hyundai Palisade
Country flag
As expected, the metal is very thick. You need a metal blade and some patience, and maybe your sawzall will do it. Paint the ends with Rust-Oleum if you can.
I just did a quick search.. angle grinders arent too expensive looks like I can pick one up for less than 100 bucks..

OP
OP
mkhuffman

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just did a quick search.. angle grinders arent too expensive looks like I can pick one up for less than 100 bucks..
You can always use another tool! That is why I like house and car projects - a good excuse to buy more tools.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag

Your reciprocating blade saw will work fine. The metal isn't that hard. Get a metal cutting blade and go to town. 😊🐩
Sponsored