Steelies "Not Recommended" For Mach-E Winter Tires?

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
Just came back from the dealership to purchase a set of winter tires / aluminum rims for my Premium AWD. In talking with the parts guy about the weight of the Mach-E vs. traditional ICE vehicles and the higher load rating for the tires he said "Yeah, Ford doesn't recommend steel rims for the higher load F-150s or the Mach-E..."

First I've heard of it, but maybe makes a bit of sense? I would assume the cast aluminum rims would be much stronger than a cheap set of steelies.

Anyone else heard the same information from Ford?
Sponsored

slimothyjames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD
Country flag
Just came back from the dealership to purchase a set of winter tires / aluminum rims for my Premium AWD. In talking with the parts guy about the weight of the Mach-E vs. traditional ICE vehicles and the higher load rating for the tires he said "Yeah, Ford doesn't recommend steel rims for the higher load F-150s or the Mach-E..."

First I've heard of it, but maybe makes a bit of sense? I would assume the cast aluminum rims would be much stronger than a cheap set of steelies.

Anyone else heard the same information from Ford?
It's all about the weight capacity rating for a wheel. Some alloy wheels have low ratings too; so be careful.

Steelies are typically 1500-1600lbs and will bend under impact/high loads. They also have issues with clearing big brakes usually.

General rule is to take the heaviest GAWR of the two (Front/Rear, found on your doorsill sticker) and divide by 2. For example, I have an ER AWD Premium and my rear axle rating is 1476 kg (3255lb). The wheel would thus need a rating of 1627.5 lbs to be "ideal".

Aftermarket alloy wheels can be cast, flow formed, or forged. A lot of times flow formed/forged wheels aim to keep the weight of the wheel as light as possible, and the weight ratings aren't kept as high (around 1500lbs.)

Most alloy wheels with a 1600lb+ rating are cast and heavier.

OP
OP
MellowJohnny

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
It's all about the weight capacity rating for a wheel. Some alloy wheels have low ratings too; so be careful.

Steelies are typically 1500-1600lbs and will bend under impact/high loads. They also have issues with clearing big brakes usually.

General rule is to take the heaviest GAWR of the two (Front/Rear, found on your doorsill sticker) and divide by 2. For example, I have an ER AWD Premium and my rear axle rating is 1476 kg (3255lb). The wheel would thus need a rating of 1627.5 lbs to be "ideal".

Aftermarket alloy wheels can be cast, flow formed, or forged. A lot of times flow formed/forged wheels aim to keep the weight of the wheel as light as possible, and the weight ratings aren't kept as high (around 1500lbs.)

Most alloy wheels with a 1600lb+ rating are cast and heavier.
Thanks for the reply - super helpful!

Subliminal64

First Name
Burnsey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME AWD ER (x2) "Darth Maul" & "R2-D2"
Occupation
Working
Country flag
For those seeking info on winter/snow tires and rims for Mach-E's, see the video below!

Sponsored