Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
So my weekend was quickly ruined.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Steering assist fault. Service required DE77F167-9826-4302-9141-196C501C9843

I have to wait until Monday because dealership is understaffed today. I’m hoping it isn’t an issue that I need parts for because of everyone who is still waiting for parts for their car.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I suspect this and many of the other out-of-the-blue weird faults are all related and have the same or similar underlying software/firmware cause and are not hardware related at all. For example, if the 12 volt battery is being allowed to discharge too low before being charged then the electronics and sensors can behave badly and throw off spurious errors due to undervoltage.

I have no proof at all support the idea, but it sounds plausible to me so I'm going with it ?

OP
OP
Pibbman

Pibbman

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I suspect this and many of the other out-of-the-blue weird faults are all related and have the same or similar underlying software/firmware cause and are not hardware related at all. For example, if the 12 volt battery is being allowed to discharge too low before being charged then the electronics and sensors can behave badly and throw off spurious errors due to undervoltage.

I have no proof at all support the idea, but it sounds plausible to me so I'm going with it ?
In my case, the power steering isn’t working so it probably isn’t a sensor issue?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
In my case, the power steering isn’t working so it probably isn’t a sensor issue?
Is it really the power steering or the "emergency assist" steering that is supposed to kick in when there's an imminent crash detected?

OP
OP
Pibbman

Pibbman

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Is it really the power steering or the "emergency assist" steering that is supposed to kick in when there's an imminent crash detected?
Well, I’m gonna say power steering because it is damn near impossible to turn the wheel.

OP
OP
Pibbman

Pibbman

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Just noticed this update happened today. I can’t help but wonder if related.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Steering assist fault. Service required 18841A40-E43A-4706-8E53-A1FB0498AEDB

OP
OP
Pibbman

Pibbman

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Not sure why it took so long, but this showed up in the app...like 8 hours later…

Ford Mustang Mach-E Steering assist fault. Service required B1AF47F5-F670-4517-A382-57ADD37C10D0

The What is Happening? section shows..

The Electronic Power Steering 9EPS) system has detected a fault.

OP
OP
Pibbman

Pibbman

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Update: I took it in for service yesterday and the 3 some hours I was there they said they weren’t even able to diagnose the issue because their Ford software they use to communicate guidance was having issues with the car.

Rather than drive the car back home 17 miles with no power steering, I opt to leave it there so they could easily jump onto it when they can.

I got a call back from the advisor and they said they were able to talk to Ford and Ford instructed them to update the power steering module and if that doesn’t work they wanted them to test some circuits.

just sitting over here fingers crossed

OP
OP
Pibbman

Pibbman

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Another update...

The update didn't fix the issue. The advisor said that I probably wouldn't believe how many things they had to remove to get to the part that Ford wanted them to test. The tech came back and talked to him during the call and said he finished what Ford wanted. It doesn't sound good and they may need to replace a part. It sounds like the part may be about $2-3k (but fortunately i'm under warranty). They just need to jump through all the hoops that Ford wants first.

Honestly, the dealer has been great in keeping my updated and all, but now I'm stressed out that I may potentially be waiting weeks for a part (the service advisor didnt give a timeframe on parts) only because I've seen how many on the forum are waiting so long.

They are even having trouble with finding me a loaner to use since the ones they got are all being used now.

Honestly, this whole experience so far has me seriously thinking about getting the Ford Protect service plan now.

The saga continues...

OP
OP
Pibbman

Pibbman

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Mine is an earlier build for sure. I believe my dealer got it in the end of January. Just remember people aren't gonna post positive things all the time. You're not gonna see a post everyday of "Hey, MME is going great. Still love it!". I don't regret getting it at all. I guess it just depends on you really.

I'm only posting this to share my experience so that if someone else has the same problem that they can benefit from it and understand what they may have to expect.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Thanks for sharing the issue and keeping us updated. Curious to see what the fix ends up being.

OP
OP
Pibbman

Pibbman

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
So another reason that I should get the Ford Protect is what I'm hearing because more difficult = more time and more time = higher labor costs.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
I can sympathize with you, I had an EPAS failure in my ‘14 SS sedan back in May of ‘17 while in a particularly curvey stretch of road in Austin (2222 East of Mopac), fun times for sure. Turns out the connectors were corroding and GM ended up issuing a recall about 2 months later. The updated EPAS with new connector design has been perfect for 4 years and 50K miles.
Sponsored