Steps you can, and should take, to ensure that your state doesn't give money to chargers that aren't usable

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Many Tesla Superchargers can't charge a Mach-E, a Lightning, and many other EVs without parking at the end spot, or parking sideways. I've learned the following:

1) The federal government doesn't decide who gets the funds, the state does.

2) The NEVI standards don't address cord length.

I have spent a total of 15 minutes reaching out to my state, and getting in touch with the team that will be approving funding, and ensuring that they recognize this situation, and withhold funds from locations that don't allow charging by any CCS-equipped vehicle. While not in the standards, I've received an acknowledgement of recognition of the issue, and the statement back - "Myself and others on the NEVI Project Management Team will take this into consideration if any Tesla charging stations apply. We want what is best for all EV users and intend to reflect this in the NEVI investments."

Please take a few minutes of your day, reach out to your state, and ask them to do what I've asked my state to do, not dole out funds to chargers that cannot be used by everyone due to an inability of the cord to plug in.
Sponsored

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Many Tesla Superchargers can't charge a Mach-E, a Lightning, and many other EVs without parking at the end spot, or parking sideways. I've learned the following:

I have spent a total of 15 minutes reaching out to my state, and getting in touch with the team that will be approving funding, and ensuring that they recognize this situation, and withhold funds from locations that don't allow charging by any CCS-equipped vehicle. While not in the standards, I've received an acknowledgement of recognition of the issue, and the statement back - "Myself and others on the NEVI Project Management Team will take this into consideration if any Tesla charging stations apply. We want what is best for all EV users and intend to reflect this in the NEVI investments."

Please take a few minutes of your day, reach out to your state, and ask them to do what I've asked my state to do, not dole out funds to chargers that cannot be used by everyone due to an inability of the cord to plug in.
I honestly donā€™t care if the solution right now is you gotta park in a weird way. We need more reliable charging, even just as a band-aid for the moment. Maybe they donā€™t get the full money until they fix the situation, but thatā€™s just gonna push any solution down the road further

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I honestly donā€™t care if the solution right now is you gotta park in a weird way. We need more reliable charging, even just as a band-aid for the moment. Maybe they donā€™t get the full money until they fix the situation, but thatā€™s just gonna push any solution down the road further
You're entitled to your viewpoint, but I couldn't disagree more. Don't give them a dime until it's usable by the majority of EVs on the road. Parking sideways across 2 spots, with a 3rd spot needed to depart, is going to result in confrontations. Really bad idea.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
You're entitled to your viewpoint, but I couldn't disagree more. Don't give them a dime until it's usable by the majority of EVs on the road. Parking sideways across 2 spots, with a 3rd spot needed to depart, is going to result in confrontations. Really bad idea.
I would just like it to at least be an option. If I need to get home as a last resort Iā€™m ready for a confrontation. But the SC around here are mostly empty and the routes I would travel have so many SC I donā€™t see it being an issue.

astrorob

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23MME GTPE, plug-in prius, 99 MBZ C43
Country flag
is this a lost cause in california already, given that there are a couple of magic dock SC sites here already? or is it worth trying to contact the state?

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
is this a lost cause in california already, given that there are a couple of magic dock SC sites here already? or is it worth trying to contact the state?
Not a single state has given out a dime to my knowledge. Those are Tesla test sites.

OldEVGuy

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium 4X
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Done!

HGxxx

First Name
Harish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion energi, mach e premium standard range
Country flag

Done filled out the NY state NEVI public feed back site and filled out the survey and reported that they need to get a longer cord for Tesla CCS. And also emphasized maintainance.

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD (ordered), 2018 Tesla M3
Country flag
Please also make sure no funding is approved for chargers that only have CCS connectors and are lacking Tesla/NACS connectors.

Last edited:

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Magic dock retrofits are not funded by NEVI, that is on Tesla's dime. Any new Tesla installs with NEVI money will be the new V4 chargers with 350kw/1000V capability and longer cables.

Yerfdog56

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
Please also make sure no funding is approved for chargers that only have CCS connectors and are lacking Tesla/NACS connectors.
And for chargers that have less than 97% up-time.

Yerfdog56

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
I think you meant EV MODELS. The SpC already is usable by the majority of EV's on the road.

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think you meant EV MODELS. The SpC already is usable by the majority of EV's on the road.
Spoken like a true Tesla owner. Of course Tesla-only charging locations can't get any funding.
Sponsored

Last edited: