danielleryane

First Name
Danielle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
My car just go towed today after the 5th time requesting via roadside assistance. At the dealership now and hoping they can fully diagnose and order parts next week.
Sponsored

Richard L.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
This is off topic but where did I hear this before? Deja vu.
Ford is recalling 520,000 SUVs for potential defective fuel injectors. Already had 20 fires reported. Hereā€™s the solution as reported by CNN Business news.
Under the new recall, Ford dealers will install a software update that will detect a possibly cracked injector. If an injector crack is detected, a warning light will show in the vehicle's dashboard and engine power will be reduced. This will allow the driver to find a safe place to pull over, stop and call for service, Ford said.
Really Ford?

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
This is off topic but where did I hear this before? Deja vu.
Ford is recalling 520,000 SUVs for potential defective fuel injectors. Already had 20 fires reported. Hereā€™s the solution as reported by CNN Business news.
Under the new recall, Ford dealers will install a software update that will detect a possibly cracked injector. If an injector crack is detected, a warning light will show in the vehicle's dashboard and engine power will be reduced. This will allow the driver to find a safe place to pull over, stop and call for service, Ford said.
Really Ford?

interesting thing is they but the numbers out supporting their logic on this one.... something like a .23% failure rate on the injectors, and hoping their 'software recall' detects it and Alerts owners to bring in for immediate service before bursting into flame.

I continue to be unimpressed with this way to handle 'Recalls'...... at best they should be labelled 'Alerts', and NOT excuse Ford from any damages or injuries subsequent that can be attributed.

If anything, the injector recall is more serious than our HVBJB replacement because of the risk of fire rather than just 'stranding'. Certainly less expensive to fix, but also 10x the number of our HVBJB recall.

Makes me think that it would be more profitable to run a Service Center, and forget being a new Sales Dealership. There looks like a steady business in recall Service work.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm ready to sign onto a class action lawsuit to force Ford to fix this problem correctly. They way they are dragging their feet with the recalls and using a "OTA fix" is unacceptable.
Not that it matters but a couple of individuals filed something right away in CA but it has since been dropped. I am in the same waiting for it to happen (or not) boat. I havenā€™t even received the recall software at this time. I just think, in this case, a class action will not resolve anything. The software in most cases provides a soft landing and Ford does make repairs under warranty when it does happen. Their approach satisfied NHTSA; although, certainly not satisfying the affected customer base.

mwtechy

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Mustang v6, 2021 Mustang MachE Premium AWD Ex
Country flag
I'm ready to sign onto a class action lawsuit to force Ford to fix this problem correctly. They way they are dragging their feet with the recalls and using a "OTA fix" is unacceptable.
We pay our taxes for regulators to manage this sort of thing, that was basically what the judge said when it was thrown out from my understanding. If you want to sue Ford the first step would be to get some actual evidence that they did anything wrong. There are lots and lots of independent testing companies that would gladly take you money to prove or disprove the "robustness" of the part in question. That would be the logical first step, not filing a lawsuit.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We pay our taxes for regulators to manage this sort of thing, that was basically what the judge said when it was thrown out from my understanding. If you want to sue Ford the first step would be to get some actual evidence that they did anything wrong. There are lots and lots of independent testing companies that would gladly take you money to prove or disprove the "robustness" of the part in question. That would be the logical first step, not filing a lawsuit.
Ford has acknowledged that there are flaws from manufacturing tolerances for the HVBJB. They just do not seem to feel it is a factor for every HVBJB manufactured before May 2022 or they are fine with spreading the pain out over time thru warranty repairs.

mwtechy

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Mustang v6, 2021 Mustang MachE Premium AWD Ex
Country flag
Ford has acknowledged that there are flaws from manufacturing tolerances for the HVBJB. They just do not seem to feel it is a factor for every HVBJB manufactured before May 2022 or they are fine with spreading the pain out over time thru warranty repairs.
Acknowledging a flaw from manufacturing is a far cry from having a design issue with all cars, hiding it from consumers, and continuing to hide it with software. This is the statement from the recall from ford which could be read as a design issue with all cars or a design issue from only the cars with the "part to part variation".

The design and part-to-part variation of the high voltage battery main contactor is not robust to the heat generated during DC fast charging and multiple wide open pedal events

So in my head if you want to sue Ford for this you'd need to first prove the design issue is not just due to part to part variation but a design issue with all manufactured parts in all cars. Then you'd need to prove that with the recall software the car is no longer performing at the advertised abilities of the car. I mean I just don't see how you could do either of those things realistically however there are 3rd parties that can test this stuff for you which could provide the needed ammunition to get an actual lawsuit going.

There also was another lawsuit filed in Michigan which appears to have also been dismissed?

To me it appears they identified an issue, they found a way to prevent it from happening, they found a way to resolve issues with those that have already seen damage with their part, and they found a way for you to safely return to a dealer should you have the issue. No where does any official ford statement say cars built after date X have a better part, only that software was applied to cars after that date. No where does any official ford statement say we screwed up the design of this part so bad that every single car could just randomly crap out anytime. That's what everyone on this forum keeps pushing and I'm just waiting for the 50k plus cars on the road to suddenly blow up or something....which doesn't appear to be happening. So I said my peace I'll see myself out of this thread. I understand how frustraiting having this failure would be as I had a similar issue with a 12v failing but I think some of you all need to sit back and have some perspective. I once had a car that had a cracked head a Saturn SC1 turned out to be a manufacturing issue but never saw a penny from that thing crapping out on me. Be glad your car is worth so much that people can even afford to consider a a lawsuit IMO. It's a nice car and given how much my local property taxes are apparently still wroth a pretty penny.

ponEpwr

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTPE, F-150
Country flag
I'm on day 27 of HVBJB replacement. Still zero eta on when the repair will take place. Opened up a claim through Ford chat shortly after it went in. Received one call a few days after from the Ford claim representative to tell me nothing. Dealer told me my rental is extended through January. :confused:

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Acknowledging a flaw from manufacturing is a far cry from having a design issue with all cars, hiding it from consumers, and continuing to hide it with software. This is the statement from the recall from ford which could be read as a design issue with all cars or a design issue from only the cars with the "part to part variation".

The design and part-to-part variation of the high voltage battery main contactor is not robust to the heat generated during DC fast charging and multiple wide open pedal events

So in my head if you want to sue Ford for this you'd need to first prove the design issue is not just due to part to part variation but a design issue with all manufactured parts in all cars. Then you'd need to prove that with the recall software the car is no longer performing at the advertised abilities of the car. I mean I just don't see how you could do either of those things realistically however there are 3rd parties that can test this stuff for you which could provide the needed ammunition to get an actual lawsuit going.

There also was another lawsuit filed in Michigan which appears to have also been dismissed?

To me it appears they identified an issue, they found a way to prevent it from happening, they found a way to resolve issues with those that have already seen damage with their part, and they found a way for you to safely return to a dealer should you have the issue. No where does any official ford statement say cars built after date X have a better part, only that software was applied to cars after that date. No where does any official ford statement say we screwed up the design of this part so bad that every single car could just randomly crap out anytime. That's what everyone on this forum keeps pushing and I'm just waiting for the 50k plus cars on the road to suddenly blow up or something....which doesn't appear to be happening. So I said my peace I'll see myself out of this thread. I understand how frustraiting having this failure would be as I had a similar issue with a 12v failing but I think some of you all need to sit back and have some perspective. I once had a car that had a cracked head a Saturn SC1 turned out to be a manufacturing issue but never saw a penny from that thing crapping out on me. Be glad your car is worth so much that people can even afford to consider a a lawsuit IMO. It's a nice car and given how much my local property taxes are apparently still wroth a pretty penny.
To be clear I do not think a suit fits and although I do not prefer it I will just wait and see how things shake out. I do wish I would get my recall OTA. I may just go by the local dealer and have it done at some point.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
interesting thing is they but the numbers out supporting their logic on this one.... something like a .23% failure rate on the injectors, and hoping their 'software recall' detects it and Alerts owners to bring in for immediate service before bursting into flame.

I continue to be unimpressed with this way to handle 'Recalls'...... at best they should be labelled 'Alerts', and NOT excuse Ford from any damages or injuries subsequent that can be attributed.

If anything, the injector recall is more serious than our HVBJB replacement because of the risk of fire rather than just 'stranding'. Certainly less expensive to fix, but also 10x the number of our HVBJB recall.

Makes me think that it would be more profitable to run a Service Center, and forget being a new Sales Dealership. There looks like a steady business in recall Service work.
The one thing they excel in , warranty claims , they are #1

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag

As far as better parts. The new parts have different numbers and they took all the old parts off the shelves. So I can deduce that there was a change in the parts assuming for the better.
Ford never released the number of cars that had the HVBJB replaced. But based on serveys on this forum itā€™s a pretty decent amount >5%. Thatā€™s 1 in 20. We can assume that the more miles charges put on the car the number will climb.

Further more the recall software gives you a warning to service vehicle soon. What is soon.? Today, tomorrow, next week? There are many people that that Message when far from home and their car died soon after getting the svs message.

I think Ford really dropped the ball on how they are handling all these recalls. I know I wonā€™t buy another Ford product after this. Not because there were some teething problems with their 1st gen EV. But rather because of how ford chose to address the problems when it was brought to their attention.

tomhenchal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE
Country flag
One more question, I accidentally cleared the codes with a code scanner, I was trying to read them and accidentally hit clearā€¦ both the power train malfunction and high voltage battery warning disappeared, and I now have full power again (jailbars are gone). I have an appointment with my dealer on 12/8 and opened a case with the BEV team. Will they still be able to see the cleared codes with their tools? I have not driven it, and plan to drive it as little as possible until my dealer appointment.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
One more question, I accidentally cleared the codes with a code scanner, I was trying to read them and accidentally hit clearā€¦ both the power train malfunction and high voltage battery warning disappeared, and I now have full power again (jailbars are gone). I have an appointment with my dealer on 12/8 and opened a case with the BEV team. Will they still be able to see the cleared codes with their tools? I have not driven it, and plan to drive it as little as possible until my dealer appointment.
Drive it so that the codes return, then park it if you can afford to do so. šŸ¤”šŸ©

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
They can look at history and see. They may not though. So if it's an issue tell them you took it to AutoZone or something to have them look at the codes and they cleared it
Sponsored