AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
Ford engineer showed up to look at mine. It wouldn’t charge at the L3 charger and did not start.
It’s now up to the ev technician when he gets in on Monday.
Not sure what to make of it when an engineer has no idea! Maybe they don’t want to get their hands dirty?

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag
As far as better parts. The new parts have different numbers and they took all the old parts off the shelves. So I can deduce that there was a change in the parts assuming for the better.
Ford never released the number of cars that had the HVBJB replaced. But based on serveys on this forum it’s a pretty decent amount >5%. That’s 1 in 20. We can assume that the more miles charges put on the car the number will climb.
That's not necessarily true. It could be that some parts are just 'weaker' than others within a certain manufacturing batch. I actual worked on an issue with a part that worked perfectly fine, unless a particular part fell on the lower end of our manufacturing tolerance. I even suggested that we just measure the existing parts in inventory and throw out those that fell below the new tolerance level.

Ford could have saved themselves all sorts of headaches if they had just put the contactors in a location that didn't require you to remove a 1/2 ton battery pack first. Sometimes I am really, really disappointed in how bad Ford engineers are at their jobs...

Last edited:

Rob S

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Mustang Ecoboost, 2022 MME GT Star White
Country flag
So far it's been a week. They diagnosed the HVBJB on friday 11/25, and for some reason waited till noon today, 12/1 to order the part through COPIS. My BEV team rep is hopefully going to help expedite the part. Fingers crossed they get it by end of next week.

Al-E

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB Premium ER/RWD Mustang Mach E '21
Occupation
Coffee
Country flag
Well, it finally happened to me. STRANDED in Arizona. We were driving home to Austin from San Diego when we pulled into charge at an EA at Walmart in Casa Grande and as soon as we pulled in boom, the dreaded Stop Safely Now followed by all the other warnings and lights.

Does anyone have any advice regarding being stranded? We don’t live here and need to work on Monday which obviously won’t happen because service doesn’t open until Monday.

But in terms of getting back home if the part/service will take days or weeks. Will Ford give me a car to get home? Do I leave my car here and have to come back and get it or will they ship it to me? Will I be reimbursed for Ubers and hotels? I am so disappointed and am already fearing an inadequate response. The fact service isn’t open on weekends or even just customer care is already a huge sore spot for me. Yeah, cars don’t break down on the weekend.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thankful for this forum and all the info compiled on the first page. At least I won’t be blind walking into the service station on Monday.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Well, it finally happened to me. STRANDED in Arizona. We were driving home to Austin from San Diego when we pulled into charge at an EA at Walmart in Casa Grande and as soon as we pulled in boom, the dreaded Stop Safely Now followed by all the other warnings and lights.

Does anyone have any advice regarding being stranded? We don’t live here and need to work on Monday which obviously won’t happen because service doesn’t open until Monday.

But in terms of getting back home if the part/service will take days or weeks. Will Ford give me a car to get home? Do I leave my car here and have to come back and get it or will they ship it to me? Will I be reimbursed for Ubers and hotels? I am so disappointed and am already fearing an inadequate response. The fact service isn’t open on weekends or even just customer care is already a huge sore spot for me. Yeah, cars don’t break down on the weekend.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thankful for this forum and all the info compiled on the first page. At least I won’t be blind walking into the service station on Monday.
Did you get the SSN when trying to start it, and it just went to accessory mode instead? If so, you can try starting it many times with about a minute rest between each. That's the type of HVBJB failure I had and I could usually eventually get it started by the 6th or 7th attempt.

Regulus7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993 C4 Cab, Macan S, SantaFe, Ice Blue MME GT
Occupation
Money Manager
Country flag
I thought that with the new software upgrade that you can continue to drive with SSN and at least make it home, assuming of course it’s not that far and you don’t drive too fast or too hard.

@Al-E how many miles do you have on your car and did the SSN pop up when you were charging or when the car was still in motion in the parking lot?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I thought that with the new software upgrade that you can continue to drive with SSN and at least make it home, assuming of course it’s not that far and you don’t drive too fast or too hard.
Depends on which type of HVJBJ failure. Some are while driving, others won't let it start.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag

@Al-E how many miles do you have on your car and did the SSN pop up when you were charging or when the car was still in motion in the parking lot?
The "recall" software should give you a Service Vehicle Soon message, and you can continue to drive at reduced power. Stop Safety Now means you cannot drive the car.

In this situation I would call my auto insurance to tow the car to my hometown Ford dealership. They have towed my previous car four hours home in the past, but I know not all insurance has that kind of roadside assistance. If not, have it towed to the closest Ford dealership and keep receipts so you can try to get reimbursed from Ford.

And make sure the tow truck driver doesn't put the hooks on the battery! If you don't know where the tow holes are, look it up on this forum. Don't let them destroy the battery case!

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
The "recall" software should give you a Service Vehicle Soon message, and you can continue to drive at reduced power. Stop Safety Now means you cannot drive the car.

In this situation I would call my auto insurance to tow the car to my hometown Ford dealership. They have towed my previous car four hours home in the past, but I know not all insurance has that kind of roadside assistance. If not, have it towed to the closest Ford dealership and keep receipts so you can try to get reimbursed from Ford.

And make sure the tow truck driver doesn't put the hooks on the battery! If you don't know where the tow holes are, look it up on this forum. Don't let them destroy the battery case!
So sorry this happened to you, I know how sucky this is to happen on a trip far from home with passengers.

i agree I would investigate having your insurance cover towing your car back home. Make sure you know how to instruct them on where to hook the car. Is it nose-in at EA?

I think you should definitely not expect that Ford will cover your expenses to have your car fixed in AZ and for you to travel back to get it and transport it home. This is not a premium brand and they try and cheap out on any warranty costs as much as possible.

Practically speaking from experience, it sucks to have to roll the dice with random ford dealers. Many of them are just really not that good in empathy and servicing these cars, and it’ll be luck if you will be prioritized or will wait for a long time away from home to get it even looked at to then get some BEV team support.

I hope you have some towing coverage or AAA…. As I always say, really good idea to have a OBD-II reader with you on a Mach E trip, you at least could know what you’re dealing with.

Al-E

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB Premium ER/RWD Mustang Mach E '21
Occupation
Coffee
Country flag
Thanks all for the replies. It was towed smoothly to the nearest dealership about 5 miles way but I’m 800 miles from home so I’m sure that’s about all they could do. I will contact my car insurance and see what they say.

SVS popped up about 10 minutes before we pulled into EA to charge and as soon as we put it in park SSN popped up and the car wouldn’t turn off for about 15 mins.

I’m just at a loss because of the distance from home. For a known issue under warranty I’ll have to stay here for days, weeks? to wait for a part that may or may not be in stock? That’s the part I can’t wrap my head around.

I’ll know more Monday and will update. Thanks again.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Thanks all for the replies. It was towed smoothly to the nearest dealership about 5 miles way but I’m 800 miles from home so I’m sure that’s about all they could do. I will contact my car insurance and see what they say.

SVS popped up about 10 minutes before we pulled into EA to charge and as soon as we put it in park SSN popped up and the car wouldn’t turn off for about 15 mins.

I’m just at a loss because of the distance from home. For a known issue under warranty I’ll have to stay here for days, weeks? to wait for a part that may or may not be in stock? That’s the part I can’t wrap my head around.

You will be fortunate if it's only a matter of days.

I know it's a bit of a gamble due to the unknowns, but it's probably best if you go home and get back to work, since the repair is more likely to be weeks than days. You could rent a car (or if you're very fortunate, the dealer will offer a loaner), or fly... Don't expect Ford to repay most of the expenses, though they may surprise you and repay some small amount.

Contact @Ford Motor Company customer relations on Monday morning, 800-392-3673. In some cases, but not always, this helps expedite the repairs. And you can ask them about how to get home and/or how to be reimbursed for your extra expenses. The dealer may also be helpful in these areas but experiences are wildly varied.

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag

Talk to roadside assistance about travel interruption. There is an allowance that I used.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag

Looking like this is another terrain-induced failure. Driving over the mountains east of San Diego probably did most of the task, and then the small hill climb before Casa Grande was the final blow to the HVBJB. In this case it didn't detect the failure soon enough to prevent a stuck contactor, by the time SVS appeared it was probably already too late.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Stop Safely Now (HVBJB): Mach-E Owners Biggest Fear - Facts and Info Thread Screen Shot 2022-12-04 at 2.10.24 AM

Last edited:

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That's the type of HVBJB failure I had and I could usually eventually get it started by the 6th or 7th attempt.
Both sound like the exact problem that I had all last winter. SSN and a bunch of other messages. From December until April a 12V charger/conditioner keeping it above 13V worked. In April the HVJB was replaced. It worked, was home and it was used throughout the winter. Was easier than it sitting at a dealer waiting for the part. It was months back then. You mentioned pre-charge contact. That may make sense?
Sponsored