heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
OKay, I've just been officially "diagnosed" with parts on back-order. Anyone recently in this camp and have estimates on wait time for the new part?
Unless things have changed very recently, parts should be a few days out assuming your dealer orders through COPIS. If they do not use COPIS the part seems to be on a hold and not shipped to the dealer. My HVBJB last month only took one business day to come in once ordered. That was for a MME premium 4X
Sponsored

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Follow-up: My Job 2 ,2021 went in for the HVJB on Oct 21st 2021, 89 days later I got it back. Guess someone knew the Lemon law in Louisiana is 90 days. After looking at Extended Warranty options, I found that none of the programs cover the HVJB more than 3years / 36,000 miles !!!. Has anyone found one that covers the HVJB longer?
The basic Ford warranty should cover it for 8 years

Flyboy

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job-2 Mach E Premium, AWD Ext Battery
Occupation
Retired Industrial Hygienist, Consultant - ISO 17025 Lab Auditor
Country flag
My source was the BEV Team member I have been working with. Here is a copy of the email I recieved after asking about the HVJB:

Hi Eric,

So when I look up the part that is needed for the HVBJB (High Voltage Battery Junction Box) it shows that specific part would be covered under bumper to bumper which is 3years, 36,000 miles. Not under the Electric Component 8years 100,000 miles.

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
My source was the BEV Team member I have been working with. Here is a copy of the email I recieved after asking about the HVJB:

Hi Eric,

So when I look up the part that is needed for the HVBJB (High Voltage Battery Junction Box) it shows that specific part would be covered under bumper to bumper which is 3years, 36,000 miles. Not under the Electric Component 8years 100,000 miles.
I don't know if that answer is accurate or not. However, I do think we will be getting a lot more clarification as soon as we get more HVBJB failures after the 3/36 warranty. I would bet that if it turns out the part is not under the 8/100 warranty Ford will be issuing an extension to the warranty on the HVBJB to be at least 8/100 if not more.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I don't know if that answer is accurate or not. However, I do think we will be getting a lot more clarification as soon as we get more HVBJB failures after the 3/36 warranty. I would bet that if it turns out the part is not under the 8/100 warranty Ford will be issuing an extension to the warranty on the HVBJB to be at least 8/100 if not more.
Yet another reason for me to induce the failure. But if it fails outside of the warranty, I am going to raise a huge stick if they refuse to pay for it. Huge.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag

Hi Eric,

Yikes. Might have to look into getting an extended warranty, or selling the car before the warranty is up.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Hi Eric,

Pretty shitty News if correct , especially when Ford has said it is an inferior part.

Flyboy

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job-2 Mach E Premium, AWD Ext Battery
Occupation
Retired Industrial Hygienist, Consultant - ISO 17025 Lab Auditor
Country flag
You don't understand - the Ford extended warranty will not cover unless you buy the bumper to bumper plan for 8 yrs/100000 miles. Not covered under the battery or the power-train section of the warranty.
After 89 days of being with my MME, they offered an extended warranty, but it was only 3 yr / 36,000 miles B2B. No extension on the HVJB.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Re Warranty, the relevant section appears to be here on p. 16:

"(2) The high voltage battery and eDrive systems of your vehicle are covered by the Electric Vehicle Component coverage for eight years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. High voltage battery and eDrive components covered by this warranty include the high voltage battery assembly, Bussed Electrical Center (BEC), Battery Energy Control Module (BECM), on-board charger, Inverter System Controller (ISC), DC/DC converter, and eDrive...."

If the HVBJB is considered to be part of the high voltage battery, it gets 8yr / 100k mi coverage. Although Ford does not list the HVBJB explicitly there, I read that section to be not exclusive in describing the components of the high voltage battery. Good luck to Ford in an arbitration dispute before BBB in claiming that the HVBJB -- located inside the battery pack! -- is not part of the high voltage battery, when every other component of the pack around it is covered.

We will definitely find out soon enough if they deny coverage when some unlucky soul gets the HBJBJBJBs outside of the new car warranty period....

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Re Warranty, the relevant section appears to be here on p. 16:

"(2) The high voltage battery and eDrive systems of your vehicle are covered by the Electric Vehicle Component coverage for eight years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. High voltage battery and eDrive components covered by this warranty include the high voltage battery assembly, Bussed Electrical Center (BEC), Battery Energy Control Module (BECM), on-board charger, Inverter System Controller (ISC), DC/DC converter, and eDrive...."

If the HVBJB is considered to be part of the high voltage battery, it gets 8yr / 100k mi coverage. Although Ford does not list the HVBJB explicitly there, I read that section to be not exclusive in describing the components of the high voltage battery. Good luck to Ford in an arbitration dispute before BBB in claiming that the HVBJB -- located inside the battery pack! -- is not part of the high voltage battery, when every other component of the pack around it is covered.

We will definitely find out soon enough if they deny coverage when some unlucky soul gets the HBJBJBJBs outside of the new car warranty period....
I wonder if the first out of warranty failure will be a forum member? Kind of like you were the first post recall failure? I hope so, because we will give him/her serious visibility.

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
I wonder if the first out of warranty failure will be a forum member? Kind of like you were the first post recall failure? I hope so, because we will give him/her serious visibility.
I think it will be non member who is out of warranty and then googles the problem and becomes a member with their first post being about how terrible Ford is being about it.

I do think it will be a non issue for the first 8 years/100K however because I think Scoopman is correct. It would be a very difficult position to take that this high voltage junction box in the high voltage battery that controls the high voltage flow from the high voltage battery to the high voltage motors is somehow not part of the " The high voltage battery and eDrive systems of your vehicle" listed as covered under the 8/100 warranty.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think it will be non member who is out of warranty and then googles the problem and becomes a member with their first post being about how terrible Ford is being about it.

I do think it will be a non issue for the first 8 years/100K however because I think Scoopman is correct. It would be a very difficult position to take that this high voltage junction box in the high voltage battery that controls the high voltage flow from the high voltage battery to the high voltage motors is somehow not part of the " The high voltage battery and eDrive systems of your vehicle" listed as covered under the 8/100 warranty.
Yeah, I agree. The battery pack includes the HVBJB, and many other components that are required for the "battery" to behave like a battery. It is inside the battery case, after all.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yeah, I agree. The battery pack includes the HVBJB, and many other components that are required for the "battery" to behave like a battery. It is inside the battery case, after all.
I do agree and for those that still have the original non robust part , how will Ford take the position that they wont cover it, I know that’s a stupid statement, but to try not to cover a part you know is sub standard seems ridiculous besides flat our wrong.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I do agree and for those that still have the original non robust part , how will Ford take the position that they wont cover it, I know that’s a stupid statement, but to try not to cover a part you know is sub standard seems ridiculous besides flat our wrong.
That will be my argument if mine fails after the warranty ends.

Meanwhile, I need to work harder to get it to fail. If only I hadn't agreed to my wife's request to not go faster than 80 mph. I think 100 mph and a steep incline is the right combo.

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
That will be my argument if mine fails after the warranty ends.

Meanwhile, I need to work harder to get it to fail. If only I hadn't agreed to my wife's request to not go faster than 80 mph. I think 100 mph and a steep incline is the right combo.
I know you don't have to be going over 80 to blow the HVBJB. I am never over 80 mph and most of the time just about the 55 mph speed limit on the country back roads I enjoy most weekends. I have elevation changes from sea level to over 1,600 feet, lots of hairpin turns with some on upslopes that allow for full throttle coming out of the turns, and 4 way stops in the middle of nowhere that allow for quick acceleration to get back up to speed. I started out this morning at 100% battery and here are some of the photos and stats from today's run.

Totals for the day:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Stop Safely Now (HVBJB): Mach-E Owners Biggest Fear - Facts and Info Thread 44

End of the day:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Stop Safely Now (HVBJB): Mach-E Owners Biggest Fear - Facts and Info Thread 55

Some shots throughout the day:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Stop Safely Now (HVBJB): Mach-E Owners Biggest Fear - Facts and Info Thread 22

Ford Mustang Mach-E Stop Safely Now (HVBJB): Mach-E Owners Biggest Fear - Facts and Info Thread 11

Ford Mustang Mach-E Stop Safely Now (HVBJB): Mach-E Owners Biggest Fear - Facts and Info Thread 33