Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
I should have suspected, since @scoopman took lots of pictures of every inch of this area lol.
Thank you all!

Now we just need someone that is going in for a repair with the same eagerness of @scoopman to take pictures of the new thing.
Sponsored

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
I should have suspected, since @scoopman took lots of pictures of every inch of this area lol.
Thank you all!

Now we just need someone that is going in for a repair with the same eagerness of @scoopman to take pictures of the new thing.
i reposted think @Benjamin Kegele took photos also @MadManMoon did too. No one has taken anything of the new part.

Av8tor

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid, MME GTPE
Occupation
Systems Engineer IOT
Country flag
The HVBJB is the beige/mustard colored assembly shown at the bottom of this photo, which is at the front end of the battery pack.

Screen-Shot-2022-06-13-at-9.40.06-PM.jpg
Interesting, there are 4 contactors. Does anyone know what the 4th does? Negative, Positive Voltage Resistor/Capacitor, Positive, and???

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Interesting, there are 4 contactors. Does anyone know what the 4th does? Negative, Positive Voltage Resistor/Capacitor, Positive, and???
There are 6 contactors:
  1. Main +
  2. Main -
  3. DCFC +
  4. DCFC -
  5. Precharge
  6. Accessory (A/C, heater, L2 charging)

Av8tor

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid, MME GTPE
Occupation
Systems Engineer IOT
Country flag
There are 6 contactors:
  1. Main +
  2. Main -
  3. DCFC +
  4. DCFC -
  5. Precharge
  6. Accessory (A/C, heater, L2 charging)
Interesting, so the 5th Precharge is shared with the main+, DCFC+, and 6th???

Main+ and Precharge+ to engage motors
DCFC+ and Precharge+ to engage DCFC to main battery
Main+, Precharge+,Accessory- for L2 charging????

how does the L2 charging circuit work?

or is the DCFC just a Charging circuit for L1,L2,L3?

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Interesting, so the 5th Precharge is shared with the main+, DCFC+, and 6th???

Main+ and Precharge+ to engage motors
DCFC+ and Precharge+ to engage DCFC to main battery
Main+, Precharge+,Accessory- for L2 charging????

how does the L2 charging circuit work?

or is the DCFC just a Charging circuit for L1,L2,L3?
Main -, precharge, main + to engage motors.
DCFC is precharged from the charger side. Contactors close when supply voltage is within 20V of the pack.

Not sure the exact sequence for the accessory contactor since it's not well documented. The SOBDM inputs DC to the pack via the accessory contactor while L2 charging. Max current is less than 35 amps so the contactor is much smaller vs. the larger ones that have to support hundreds of amps.

Last edited:

mwtechy

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Mustang v6, 2021 Mustang MachE Premium AWD Ex
Country flag
Got mine back today. They replaced the 12v, LJ9Z-10B687-D, and then the BECM or is 10B687 the BECM?. They did not replace the HVBJB. Their notes state after the 12v replacement they were seeing a P0B3B in the BECM and P1A10 in the SOBDMC. 2 cell voltages were out of the 3.228v-4.177v range so they depowered the high voltage battery and checked everything, everything was ok so hooked everything back up and the stop safely now finally went away.

Since my car is running now I guess it's not related to the HVBJB issue but could be related to the recall since they did replace the BECM? So maybe there is another software issue out there causing oddities with the BECM? It was two days after an update when it failed. At any rate they unfortunately dinged the bumper while in the shop so I still have to take it back for that in Aug but at least it's running again. Hopefully they will get this software fix out soon.

Last edited:

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Got mine back today. They replaced the 12v, LJ9Z-10B687-D, and then the BECM or is 10B687 the BECM?. They did not replace the HVBJB. Their notes state after the 12v replacement they were seeing a P0B3B in the BECM and P1A10 in the SOBDMC. 2 cell voltages were out of the 3.228v-4.177v range so they depowered the high voltage battery and checked everything, everything was ok so hooked everything back up and the stop safely now finally went away.

Since my car is running now I guess it's not related to the HVBJB issue but could be related to the recall since they did replace the BECM? So maybe there is another software issue out there causing oddities with the BECM? It was two days after an update when it failed. At any rate they unfortunately dinged the bumper while in the shop so I still have to take it back for that in Aug but at least it's running again. Hopefully they will get this software fix out soon.

View attachment 70326

View attachment 70327
10B687 is the BECM, which appears to be the cause. An internal fault caused two cell voltages to be read incorrectly. Readings out of range will cause the car to shut down. The description seems to be written out of order.

Your HVBJB was not replaced. I keep saying this, but just because you get a SSN error doesn't mean it's the HVBJB, people need to stop assuming that unless they've read the codes that prove it.

mwtechy

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
10B687 is the BECM, which appears to be the cause. An internal fault caused two cell voltages to be read incorrectly. Readings out of range will cause the car to shut down. The description seems to be written out of order.

Your HVBJB was not replaced. I keep saying this, but just because you get a SSN error doesn't mean it's the HVBJB, people need to stop assuming that unless they've read the codes that prove it.
I guess I'm suggesting, if a firmware update can fix the problem then it's quite possible a firmware problem is causing the problem regardless of what hardware actually fails? Of course I know zilch about this stuff just guessing.

P. T. Magoo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 Volt, '22 MME Ca Rt-1
Occupation
Physical Therapist, Freelance Trombonist
Country flag
For those of you scratching their heads as I was, I did some research and it seems SOBDMC stands for Secondary On-Board Diagnostic Control Module, and has nothing to do with your significant other being into bondage, domination, and medieval cosplay. If that condition exists, it is purely a coincidence.

Last edited:

mwtechy

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm just saying plenty of hardware issues are caused by software. It's entirely possible that deconstructing a melted HVBJB to troubleshoot a production problem isn't going to give you a ton of information. Them stating they could reproduce it on demo models at least suggests they inspected these HVBJB on the demo models before causing the melting...or did they...who knows. But one thing is for certain, random manufacturing defects is a lot easier pill to swallow than a programmer screwed up...I certainly know a lot about programmers screwing up lol. I don't know anything about software dev on cars though or how to troubleshoot such a mf defect only found in production.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
Sadly I think not may be too late, but I did enquire about it, no response. As far as I could tell from the app they have not done the work yet, but they charged it to 100% Friday, so I guess I should assume that they actually did the job and the app didn't update with errors etc. prior to the charging.

My dealer service is beyond unresponsive, right now it looks like the car is just sitting in their lot until Monday. :rolleyes: I was told it would be done Friday afternoon, but will have to reach out again, since Tuesday will be 4 weeks in, one would hope it will be "good as new" by then.

We have photos of the old part, not of the new part to see what is different. At least I don’t remember any photos yet from someone who has gotten the new one. Perhaps @VegStang can try and get us some?

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Sadly I think not may be too late, but I did enquire about it, no response. As far as I could tell from the app they have not done the work yet, but they charged it to 100% Friday, so I guess I should assume that they actually did the job and the app didn't update with errors etc. prior to the charging.

My dealer service is beyond unresponsive, right now it looks like the car is just sitting in their lot until Monday. :rolleyes: I was told it would be done Friday afternoon, but will have to reach out again, since Tuesday will be 4 weeks in, one would hope it will be "good as new" by then.
oh well at least sounds like it is fixed. I don’t think your dealer installed the recall software which seems to have just popped up in FDRS today, however.
Sponsored