Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Then the next post saying it doesnā€™t affect performance should be good enough for those worried.
I'm not sure in what world "reducing battery power" and "reduce vehicle power" is not going to effect performance. It could be vehicle performance or charging performance, either is bad. Farley is just digging a bigger hole. He must have the same media team as Biden...

Ford Mustang Mach-E Stop Safely Now (HVBJB): Mach-E Owners Biggest Fear - Facts and Info Thread Screenshot_20220616-065617

I'm not being negative, I'm upset because I thought they were going to do the right thing. In the IT world I couldn't go up to a customer and say, sorry your server is overheating so we will pull one of the two processors since they generate the most heat. That's not acceptable.

This software does not prevent the issue from happening completely.

Last edited:

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I'm not sure in what world "reducing battery power" is not going to affect performance. It could be vehicle performance or charging performance, either is bad. Farley is just digging a bigger hole. He must have the same media team as Biden...

Ford Mustang Mach-E Stop Safely Now (HVBJB): Mach-E Owners Biggest Fear - Facts and Info Thread Screenshot_20220616-065617
I guess weā€™ll see. But thanks for dragging your politics into this.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
Everyone is so freaking negative nowadays.
I know, it's weird, right? Everything in the entire world is going so smoothly these days - no epidemics, no wars in Europe involving nuclear powers, inflation at an all time low, race relations better than ever, the world economy humming along nicely, and carmakers like Ford delivering vehicles that are perfect in every conceivable way.

WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE SO FREAKIN NEGATIVE?????

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I know, it's weird, right? Everything in the entire world is going so smoothly these days - no epidemics, no wars in Europe involving nuclear powers, inflation at an all time low, race relations better than ever, the world economy humming along nicely, and carmakers like Ford delivering vehicles that are perfect in every conceivable way.

WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE SO FREAKIN NEGATIVE?????
Definitely what I meant.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Then the next post saying it doesnā€™t affect performance should be good enough for those worried.
Yet the first post states it was only demo units which is not true so obviously the next one will be 100% factual šŸ¤£

We have a classic Ford issue of initially using a part not up to the task and now trying to save some coin for that mistake by using a band aid software fix that is going to reduce current draw to prevent overheating. The proof will be in the pudding but generally you do not associate reduced current draw with not impacting performance.

We do at least have plenty of existing data on charge curves and vehicle performance to compare against so we will be able to at least see how accurate the statement of no reduction in performance truly is.

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
However, we also don't know if the new software does not have the same limitations / protections even if you have the new part, so I'm not so sure having the beefier part means more performance.

Probably just even less risk that you have the contactors fail catestrophically.
Are you suggesting that we will have the software fail the circuit before the hardware welds itself shut? The benefit would be a shorter recovery, but the cost would be a higher failure rate if I'm understanding you correctly.

I don't see a way around replacing the hardware with a part that is fit for purpose. Then some sort of punitive actions within Ford. I'm not suggesting going full Nork Korea, but somewhere at some time, a set of very bad decisions were made. And, this cannot continue to happen.

The real damage is to the reputation not only for Ford, but to the BEV market with these types of very public failures and the FUD that is already out there about our "coal-powered" cars.

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
I personally doubt that Ford can OTA the software updates for this recall.
Anyone who has updated their SOBDMC and BECM with FDRS knows that they have dependencies and they are updated together with other modules (PCM, SOBDM, SOBDMB, ABS). Depending on your car's current versions it might need 2-7 modules updated. These modules are included in the customer satisfaction campaigns which were not OTAed and they require a dealer visit.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Are you suggesting that we will have the software fail the circuit before the hardware welds itself shut? The benefit would be a shorter recovery, but the cost would be a higher failure rate if I'm understanding you correctly.

I don't see a way around replacing the hardware with a part that is fit for purpose. Then some sort of punitive actions within Ford. I'm not suggesting going full Nork Korea, but somewhere at some time, a set of very bad decisions were made. And, this cannot continue to happen.

The real damage is to the reputation not only for Ford, but to the BEV market with these types of very public failures and the FUD that is already out there about our "coal-powered" cars.
How does this hurt the BEV market? Recalls are a very normal thing and Expeditions are catching on fire. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s other mfrs too, but thatā€™s the most recent I remember.

pnrmurph

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Mazda CX-5, 2022 Mach-E Premium ER RWD
Country flag
Personally, I just want to know how long my Premium Ext Range RWD will be sitting at the dealer. Today was the day I was supposed to pick it up. :mad:

Last edited:

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I personally doubt that Ford can OTA the software updates for this recall.
Anyone who has updated their SOBDMC and BECM with FDRS knows that they have dependencies and they are updated together with other modules (PCM, SOBDM, SOBDMB, ABS). Depending on your car's current versions it might need 2-7 modules updated. These are the same modules covered in the customer satisfaction campaigns which were not OTAed and they require a dealer visit.
These were updated OTA 2.7.2 to 2.7.4

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Personally, I just want to know how long my Premium Ext Range RWD will be sitting at the dealer's. Today was the day I was supposed to pick it up. :mad:
Honestly people waiting are the only people I can see why they would be upset about this. Hopefully it wonā€™t be long, itā€™s a great car.

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
According to Jim Farley, Ford CEO -

No one on this forum ever had failure. It was just DEMO units. You know, those demo GTs that never existed based on the timeline.

This is getting comically stupid.

He would have been great as the captain on the Titanic....

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag

I believe Ford has stated that this software will predict based on resistance whether the junction box will fail soon and will get you to take it in. Presumably this will show a warning before the part fails while you are driving which is the safety issue thatā€™s really bad.

This will probably result in more stop safely now messages and potentially false positives, but less risk of my car dying while I drive it.

Iā€™m mostly concerned because I bet all the GT junction boxes are getting damaged over time, and might fail eventually. And secondarily I paid a lot more for a GTPE because I expected a performance vehicle. This has to further reduce performance from when I bought the car, and Iā€™m really super unhappy if thatā€™s the case.

Finally Iā€™m not happy with fordā€™s lack of honesty and transparency in providing the real fix for bad engineering of my car, but I guess I was just wrong for expecting this.

Last edited:

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Maybe it should have read "we also detected the issue on demo units"
I just don't construe that message to be disrespectful, it's just poorly worded. Or..maybe it's masterfully worded /shrug
I think it's masterfully worded. His statement doesn't claim the issue was detected ONLY on demo units, but it does imply that it was detected proactively before customer units (not the case, clearly). So it's not technically an incorrect statement, but its definitely downplaying the issue from an implication perspective.
Sponsored