Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
LK9Z-10C666-C is the latest part number, but it looks like the parts catalogs aren’t updated with that yet. LK9Z-10C666-A is the last in the parts catalog. If they order -A they should get a -C sent automatically.
What about a replacement on April 18 2022 wondering if they would have dropped the HVB and replaced the HVJB with another A part at that point? The invoice say -A but could your logic be the case at that time also? They most likely knew about the short comings of the design at that stage and wonder if they were still fixing an ongoing problem with the same part that they knew could be causing the problem? How would my dealer be able to verify what revision was installed?
Sponsored

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
What about a replacement on April 18 2022 wondering if they would have dropped the HVB and replaced the HVJB with another A part at that point? The invoice say -A but could your logic be the case at that time also? They most likely knew about the short comings of the design at that stage and wonder if they were still fixing an ongoing problem with the same part that they knew could be causing the problem? How would my dealer be able to verify what revision was installed?
Only by looking at the box or physical part. Prior to May they were replacing the faulty part with the same, poor performing version.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Only by looking at the box or physical part. Prior to May they were replacing the faulty part with the same, poor performing version.
Are we sure about that the ones coming off the line yes but the repairs also? The part existed prior to it showing up on the line.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Maybe it’s kind of like the car version of a heart murmur. Most of the time it’s fine. Some people with heart murmurs can compete in marathons. But sometimes it can cause big problems. (Note I am not a doctor or an engineer or a mechanic.)
When is my heart OTA?

Caramel

First Name
Vi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey
Country flag
Maybe not yet but soon! I have a friend who basically gets ota updates to a chip in her brain. She’s literally a cyborg.

(It’s an anti-seizure medical device that reads the electric activity in her brain and zaps it if it detects activity that could lead to a seizure, ideally preventing it. It can be programmed and it’s data drown loaded remotely, though through a different device, not a cellular modem like our cars. It’s super cool.)

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Are we sure about that the ones coming off the line yes but the repairs also? The part existed prior to it showing up on the line.
We are sure that they were. I have no idea what you got but we have multiple members with double failures for this exact reason.

That's why I say the only way to verify is with the actual part number from the part or box. To this day they are still ordering the old part on paper, but receiving the new one.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Been out of the loop for a bit. No big deal but just wondering if the recall OTA has begun being beamed to the masses? Decided I would go ahead and allow the update as it is berry picking season and we drive outside cell coverage; however, not really worried about it.

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
Out of curiosity do you guys really go into FP that much?
I use it every day (sometimes a few times a day) to remote start to cool off the car. I don’t have an Apple Watch so open it up on my phone.

GrumblesTheDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GB FE
Country flag
2021 First Edition here, just got slapped with Stop Safely Now! Lovely
Ugh. Sorry to hear that. FE owner here too - I don't spend my days obsessing over this, but it is unnerving to see another one go down. What circumstances did it come up under, if I may ask? How many miles on your car?

cbcasas

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Ugh. Sorry to hear that. FE owner here too - I don't spend my days obsessing over this, but it is unnerving to see another one go down. What circumstances did it come up under, if I may ask? How many miles on your car?
Two days ago I took a 600 mile trip, including DCFC, and it was great. Today, I ran to get lunch and came home, car was fine. A few hours later tried to go and get a haircut and car wouldn’t start.

jznd400

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT Grabber Blue
Country flag
Quick update - no luck talking to a human at the dealer this morning so logged a case number by calling Ford's service line. The Ford reps were pretty good, I have to say. They got through to the dealer and relayed the message back to me that it would be diagnosed by Wednesday, confirmed that they'd reimburse up to $2000 in rental costs, and gave me a direct line and email to the Ford rep managing the case.

Got a call 6 hours later from the dealer with the diagnosis - fried HVBJB as suspected. Overnighting a replacement part, hope to get me the car by end of day tomorrow if the part arrives on time. Pretty snappy. Interestingly, the service rep did not know that the replacement HVBJB would be physically different than the old one; he thought it just had new software to protect it from getting fried again.

Shout out to DevSecOps for helping out by DM - folks like him make this forum a great community!
Update on my GT - car was towed to the dealer Sunday. Service department was closed, so nobody looked at it till Monday. Diagnosed on Monday, HVBJB ordered Monday, dealer got the new HVBJB Tuesday afternoon, didn't manage to finish work on Tuesday, called me Wednesday while I was out of town, so I sent my wife to pick it up. I asked them to do all the software updates while they had the car, which they said they did (@DevSecOps can you run the VIN and do a quick check for me?). Car is running, GOM has been reset so showing more miles than I've ever seen.

My takeaways - don't bother calling the dealer as the first point of contact. The service staff tried to give me the runaround and an appointment 3 weeks out. Call Ford and they'll push it down to the dealer as a priority matter. I've gotten multiple follow ups from Ford on my case - really good customer service I have to say. And with Ford on the case, my dealer prioritized my case and turned the car around as fast as anyone could reasonably expect.

So all good? HOWEVER...the part number of the replacement HVBJB is LK9Z*10C666*B. If I'm not mistaken, the "B" variant is the old box? Surely that's just a system error and Ford wouldn't have shipped out the old box for replacement?

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Update on my GT - car was towed to the dealer Sunday. Service department was closed, so nobody looked at it till Monday. Diagnosed on Monday, HVBJB ordered Monday, dealer got the new HVBJB Tuesday afternoon, didn't manage to finish work on Tuesday, called me Wednesday while I was out of town, so I sent my wife to pick it up. I asked them to do all the software updates while they had the car, which they said they did (@DevSecOps can you run the VIN and do a quick check for me?). Car is running, GOM has been reset so showing more miles than I've ever seen.

My takeaways - don't bother calling the dealer as the first point of contact. The service staff tried to give me the runaround and an appointment 3 weeks out. Call Ford and they'll push it down to the dealer as a priority matter. I've gotten multiple follow ups from Ford on my case - really good customer service I have to say. And with Ford on the case, my dealer prioritized my case and turned the car around as fast as anyone could reasonably expect.

So all good? HOWEVER...the part number of the replacement HVBJB is LK9Z*10C666*B. If I'm not mistaken, the "B" variant is the old box? Surely that's just a system error and Ford wouldn't have shipped out the old box for replacement?
You got the new box with that part number and I can run your VIN later. My nephew's would be really pissed if I told them to stop gaming to run a VIN right now.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We are sure that they were. I have no idea what you got but we have multiple members with double failures for this exact reason.

That's why I say the only way to verify is with the actual part number from the part or box. To this day they are still ordering the old part on paper, but receiving the new one.
Maybe another original part again and if there is a fourth time I am inconvenienced that will be the last? I find stuck open and a dead 12V parked a bit different than welded shut while driving or dcfc. Hard to service mode it to the dealers with a dead 12V so the software is not doing much for that case. If the software throws the error message every time a contact sticks there may be a few more when it gets cold. Not even sure the new part addresses the cold weather issue that I am experiencing but contacts are involved. Almost looks like extreme ambient temps come into play with the original contacts? Maybe thats the variance not accounted for (if we are still wildly speculating ;) ).

Mine has run great all summer but cooler here and mostly sticks open when cold. Just want it to go away and behave itself. Maybe grasping at straws hoping they did not do all that work to put the same possible problem part in; it may have reduce a variable. Waited over 4 months for it and could have stuck it out for one or two more if I knew a true fix was coming. Especially when it was warming up and not the problem then. Not the end of the world as a 12V charger in the cold works, have no idea what the cold did to the contacts when they were stuck open but they do re-close as all appears good once it can boot. First time was the first month so maybe rule out wear and tear and caulk it up to the -30C temp as that was repeatable? It was a quick fix software to begin (sound familiar) but by then it had got warmer. You keep a 12V charger/maintainer on it when cold you are golden (15 amp). Was told the third try was the fix and maybe it was the becm that also got replaced? Third winter is the charm ;) Love new tech; when it is working.

Still say it is a pretty cool car but now maybe not for everyone or possibly mainstream yet. Did not need all the tech to make a fast EV but lots of bells and whistles on this one. They need to figure out the e-train right now is my hope and get the basics right. Not sure if the software fix is going to do it. Big bite and hope they are all scrambling working it out.

Been out of the loop for a bit. No big deal but just wondering if the recall OTA has begun being beamed to the masses? Decided I would go ahead and allow the update as it is berry picking season and we drive outside cell coverage; however, not really worried about it.
What type are you picking up there? Berries are good this year here we are over 40# of the blue ones now. With a pack sack out the back door on foot. I have cell service picking also so not as concerning.

No recall OTA update here but got paperwork in the mail. If they do not tweak the software to reduce overall performance to save a few under designed HVJB's I do not see it hurting either. Will give them more practice at OTA and may help to get our vehicles up to date OTA one day?

After a year and a half I whined and am taking it in again in hope of getting rid of a few bugs. Guess I am hoping for walk away locks, door buttons, no audio and seat positions at the top of my list. Will be the 10th time in to them for multiple days and the glass recalls are not done yet. Would not have bought it without the occupation change so at least there is that. Understand new tech but throw in the professionalism so far of handling my problems and it is a bit more than expected. Not my dealer that is giving all the directions or dictating the schedule either.

Not sure we have any problem with contacts welding closed in the heat where we are and more likely them freezing open in the cold. That is what I see. Heated garage and you may never have a problem?
Sponsored