JoeSavage

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E
Country flag
Hi all, I got a "Stop Safely Now" message when trying to leave for work Friday morning. Was not charging and the car was working fine the night before. Battery was about 51% charged. I could not put the car in gear, etc. FordPass app didn't indicate any alerts.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Stop Safely Now (HVBJB): Mach-E Owners Biggest Fear - Facts and Info Thread 1684105110685

Feared the worst when reading this forum, I was able to put it in tow mode and back in out of the garage, contacted the dealer who said to call Ford Roadside. I was busy on Saturday, but was about to call for a tow on Sunday, got in the car and found that I was able to start up the car & drive it around, like nothing had been wrong at all.

So, what the heck is going on? Is this normal? Fortunately doesn't seem to be HVBJB in my case but I'm still really uneasy since I could have easily been stranded.

Has anyone else experienced this behavior?
Sponsored

Gungrave223

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mach E Premium
Country flag
Hi all, I got a "Stop Safely Now" message when trying to leave for work Friday morning. Was not charging and the car was working fine the night before. Battery was about 51% charged. I could not put the car in gear, etc. FordPass app didn't indicate any alerts.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Stop Safely Now (HVBJB): Mach-E Owners Biggest Fear - Facts and Info Thread 1684105110685

Feared the worst when reading this forum, I was able to put it in tow mode and back in out of the garage, contacted the dealer who said to call Ford Roadside. I was busy on Saturday, but was about to call for a tow on Sunday, got in the car and found that I was able to start up the car & drive it around, like nothing had been wrong at all.

So, what the heck is going on? Is this normal? Fortunately doesn't seem to be HVBJB in my case but I'm still really uneasy since I could have easily been stranded.

That's exactly what happened to me... After the car went to sleep it was able to turn on fine... My advice is to drive it to your dealer... And have to run diagnostics on it... Because you will get that error again and next time it might not be in your garage....

Don't tempt fate.... Take it to your dealer first thing in the morning.

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Got the call that my car was ready today. Picked it up. Wasn’t too happy that Ford instructed the dealer to cancel the original order for the replacement HVBJB and order the remanufactured variant instead. Assuming it’s supply chain, but still… Will be contacting customer service to ask about what assurance they will offer that I’m covered in case of future failures.

Also really annoying was that the car now pulls to the left, on the highway especially. When it was new this was also a problem, and the dealer had to calibrate something camera-related. I guess some combination of resets due to the battery removal and reinstallation caused the calibration disappear? Have to take it back in to get that addressed.
The HVBJB is part of the high voltage battery warranty lasting 8 years or 100,000 miles. When a HVBJB is replaced under warranty (even a reman part) nothing changes under that 8/100K warranty. That means if the car was first sold on 1/1/2021, Ford will replace as many failed HVBJB up until 12/31/2028 or 100,000 miles (unless the car has a salvaged title which would cancel the warranty).

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag

You might want to reach out to one of the volunteers in the FRDS thread to see if you have codes still showing in the system. If there are codes the dealer will have at least something to diagnose, but if there are no codes present it will be hard for them to tell you what caused it.

stevec73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
The HVBJB is part of the high voltage battery warranty lasting 8 years or 100,000 miles. When a HVBJB is replaced under warranty (even a reman part) nothing changes under that 8/100K warranty. That means if the car was first sold on 1/1/2021, Ford will replace as many failed HVBJB up until 12/31/2028 or 100,000 miles (unless the car has a salvaged title which would cancel the warranty).
It makes complete sense, but I'm just wondering if a rebuilt HVBJB might be inherently less reliable than a new unit, thereby exposing me to a higher likelihood of another failure.

stevec73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
Got the call that my car was ready today. Picked it up. Wasn’t too happy that Ford instructed the dealer to cancel the original order for the replacement HVBJB and order the remanufactured variant instead. Assuming it’s supply chain, but still… Will be contacting customer service to ask about what assurance they will offer that I’m covered in case of future failures.

Also really annoying was that the car now pulls to the left, on the highway especially. When it was new this was also a problem, and the dealer had to calibrate something camera-related. I guess some combination of resets due to the battery removal and reinstallation caused the calibration disappear? Have to take it back in to get that addressed.
Dealer picked up the car this morning to check the alignment. Called a few minutes ago to tell me that nobody can find anything wrong, so they need to do an alignment?!?! Since my car is older than 12 months with more than 12k miles, that will cost me $99... I'm really a bit bewildered. I told them that it was driving perfectly before the HVBJB replacement. They said nothing steering- or suspension-related was touched, which I fully understand. Has anyone encountered anything similar? Expecting a call back from the service manager.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
It makes complete sense, but I'm just wondering if a rebuilt HVBJB might be inherently less reliable than a new unit, thereby exposing me to a higher likelihood of another failure.
Seeing as there is more to the HVBJB than the failed contactors in an HVBJB subassembly, I would guess that an HVBJB that has had its contactors replaced and possibly a few other components replaced should not be more of a reliability issue than a new one. 🤔🐩

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
I don't know for sure, but I will be finding out soon. My dealer has one on order for me since I just got the code for a pending HVBJB failure. The tech double checked with tech line and the they are sending him a reman unit. My guess is it will be just as good as the current new version of the HVBJB that has been out since June of last year.

Generally, reman parts are expected to give the same life as a new one. With a reman part, an old unit was returned to the manufacture, all of the old components were replaced and then the unit was tested and shipped back out. Usually the only part that is "re-used" is the frame or shell making it a little less expensive to produce.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don't know for sure, but I will be finding out soon. My dealer has one on order for me since I just got the code for a pending HVBJB failure. The tech double checked with tech line and the they are sending him a reman unit. My guess is it will be just as good as the current new version of the HVBJB that has been out since June of last year.

Generally, reman parts are expected to give the same life as a new one. With a reman part, an old unit was returned to the manufacture, all of the old components were replaced and then the unit was tested and shipped back out. Usually the only part that is "re-used" is the frame or shell making it a little less expensive to produce.
So are you saying you are about to lose another?!

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
So are you saying you are about to lose another?!
Yes, code P0ADE and tech line says to follow the TSB and replace the HVBJB. The dealer has the reman part on order now and it should be in soon.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

You are a very optimistic person

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes, code P0ADE and tech line says to follow the TSB and replace the HVBJB. The dealer has the reman part on order now and it should be in soon.
How many does this make for you 3 or 4, a world record?

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Are you keeping on pace for an HVBJB every 3000 mi or so?

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
How many does this make for you 3 or 4, a world record?
🤣.. This will be the 4th replacement, but only the 2nd replacement of the updated part. But as most of you know, I am really that one in a million driver who will ever see this kind of failure. I am so lucky to have hundreds of miles of paved back country roads and most of the 25,000 miles have been spent out there. I don't know why it hasn't gotten old, but I still spend a lot of my time off out there really enjoying the car.

I am also really lucky to have a great dealer now who understands the car, the failure, and is very responsive when I run into problems. I really don't worry about the HVBJB or other concerns that might pop up since I know they will be there when needed.

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Are you keeping on pace for an HVBJB every 3000 mi or so?
6,000 to 8,000 miles. I actually thought I was good when I hit 8K (the others were 6K) on this current one.... Then just after 8K the SVS light came on and said think again.....
Sponsored