Stop Safely Now -- Not HVBJB Related (It seems)

bs1055

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Eng/M&A
Country flag
TLDR: Got 'Stop Safely Now' message. Doesn't appear to be related to HVBJB issue. Dealer visit on Thursday 8/11.
Note: I started this in it's own thread because it doesn't seem like it's an HVBJB failure

I'm going to lay out all of the different variables/facts from my experience in the hopes that it might help someone in the future.

- This past weekend I drove to Naples from Miami (~2 hours) on Friday night. Upon arrival, the garage outlet that typically charges my Job 2 2021 Premium Standard Range RWD at ~22 mph was charging at ~12 mph. I went to go check the charger and noted that the Ford charger had an amber + blue light on, noting reduced charging speed, possibly due to overheating (FL, Summer, but charging unit didn't seem hot, just warm)
- Saturday morning, I charged the car at Electrify America at a max of around 80kWh until getting to 80%. I drove back to Miami charged, then back to Naples a couple of hours later. (Soccer game in Miami, lol).
- When I got back to Naples I hooked into the same plug in the garage from Friday night and got the same amber + blue light and reduced charging. I was going to need to drive back to Miami on Saturday night so I went over to the same EA station from the morning and charged up to 70% then plugged back in garage.
- I left the car charging there for 5-6 hours until I got a charge fault at around 7PM. I had a scheduled departure time for 8PM to prep the cabin temperature for our drive back to Miami. at 7:50PM I get to the car and unplug the car (note, wasn't charging due to charge fault). Upon attempting to turn the car on, I got a message on the dash saying to 'Stop Safely Now' and the car was stuck on Accessory Mode.
- I was surprised by this for a few reasons. The first being, "this only happens to people on the internet and could never happen to me!", and the second being, "My car is a RWD standard range car, this is rare even among the rare instances of HVBJB failure.
- After brief moments of panic, I reached out to some people on this forum and they (notably @Gimme_my_MME) helped me with some high level trouble shooting, ultimately determining that the fault I received was due to too many start attempts, not HVBJB failure. I can assure you all that I wasn't mashing the start button when I got the failure.
- I don't have a working theory as to why this happened, but that day was out of the ordinary because I DC charged 3 times, had slow charging the garage followed by a fault, then used the scheduled departure feature before another long drive.

After about 20 minutes and when @Gimme_my_MME informed me that it didn't look like HVBJB failure, I went back to the car and successfully turned it on and drove back home 2 hours (of which 1 hour is at 80mph+ to Miami). No issues with the car since then but am going to the dealer on Thursday to have them check the car and charger out.
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
If you have the red ring error on the charging port, that puts the car into an error state. If the charger continues to cycle on and off. Based on what gimme said, you probably had a BECM P1A1E:66 - Hybrid/EV Battery Contactor Control Signal: Signal Has Too Many Transitions/Events code. You're the second or third case I've seen of this happening, so I'm fairly confident it's caused by the EVSE continuing to switch the power on and off and reset itself. That's a bug Ford should probably fix since it's hard on the precharge system. Red ring should disable charging until the plug is removed.

Unplugging and turning the car off for 5 minutes resets it.

Your dealer should replace the charger under warranty if it's having the amber light problem.

OP
OP
bs1055

bs1055

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Eng/M&A
Country flag
If you have the red ring error on the charging port, that puts the car into an error state. If the charger continues to cycle on and off. Based on what gimme said, you probably had a BECM P1A1E:66 - Hybrid/EV Battery Contactor Control Signal: Signal Has Too Many Transitions/Events code. You're the second or third case I've seen of this happening, so I'm fairly confident it's caused by the EVSE continuing to switch the power on and off and reset itself. That's a bug Ford should probably fix since it's hard on the precharge system. Red ring should disable charging until the plug is removed.

Unplugging and turning the car off for 5 minutes resets it.

Your dealer should replace the charger under warranty if it's having the amber light problem.
Thanks for the information. What you hypothesize definitely aligns with my experience. Anything you suggest informing the dealer of on the front end so that I have the charger replaced and the car serviced correctly?

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Thanks for the information. What you hypothesize definitely aligns with my experience. Anything you suggest informing the dealer of on the front end so that I have the charger replaced and the car serviced correctly?
Tell them they need to test the charger with their 240V outlet, and if it overheats and amber light turns on they should replace it under warranty.

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
You said you were plugged in to an EA station when the issue occurred, right?

OP
OP
bs1055

bs1055

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Eng/M&A
Country flag
You said you were plugged in to an EA station when the issue occurred, right?
No, I was plugged into the garage 240v outlet. EA charging completing with no issues 3x that day.

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
No, I was plugged into the garage 240v outlet. EA charging completing with no issues 3x that day.
Completely missed that and was surprised you left you car at EA for so many hours!

911roger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e gt
Occupation
RN
Country flag
Well we had a storm that triggered an amber charging light checked breaker’s all good so I unplugged ccharger and firmly plug Back in no problems since
Sponsored