"Stop safely now" , then full power loss while driving on highway...

mach21fe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
With almost 3500 miles, other than continual software glitches & the insanely poor public charging situation (ridiculously few fast chargers, with many of those broken) I've had a good experience & was rather impressed with my first Ford (my other vehicles have primarily been BMW & Audi) Until last night.

While driving at full highway speed, I received "Stop safely now" followed by an immediate, complete loss of throttle - not any kind of limp mode, it seemed like the motor turned off completely. No, this was not because I ran out of charge (see photo) but instead some kind of other major failure. I was lucky to get from the left lane to an off-ramp before my momentum ran out. Needless to say, this was not a fun experience.

Now I'm anticipating the dealer will do a software flash or something & tell me it's fixed; while I'll be expecting a recurrence & hoping I'll be able to stop safely again. Never being able to trust this thing again after 3 months is a sad situation & unlike anything I've ever experienced having owned 30+ vehicles in the last 25 years.

Stop safely now.jpg
Sponsored

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Sorry to hear this, I wonder if it was something other than a motor issue since you have a First Edition, i.e. a model with AWD. I would hope that if the front or rear motor had some kind of failure, the other motor could keep working on AWD models.

Were your brakes or steering impacted at all? Were you able to restart the car once you stopped or did you have to get it towed?

OP
OP
mach21fe

mach21fe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Sorry to hear this, I wonder if it was something other than a motor issue since you have a First Edition, i.e. a model with AWD. I would hope that if the front or rear motor had some kind of failure, the other motor could keep working on AWD models.

Were your brakes or steering impacted at all? Were you able to restart the car once you stopped or did you have to get it towed?

Had brakes & steering but feared they may both fail too at any second.

Issue persisted after restarting (tried several times over an hour) so had to be put on a flatbed. Unloading at dealer, it started again but likely related to Emergency Tow mode to get it loaded. Hardware replacement of some kind must happen & I hope I don't need to fight the dealer on that.

Ford, if you're actually reading any of this, I had reserved a Lightning to replace another vehicle, but will not move forward with that & was thinking of a few Mavericks for my business, will skip those as well.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Wow... sorry to hear. Do you happen to know if your car has received updates on the drive system?

My car never had any issue other than the battery drain issue ... but when that update for that was applied, I was told that there were a few other updates that were pro-actively installed at the same time. So I'm wondering if your car was also had those updates and/or if it was missing updates.

jdsimard2012

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Is yours a RWD or AWD? Did you find out what the issues was? Sorry to hear this happened.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Now I'm anticipating the dealer will do a software flash or something & tell me it's fixed; while I'll be expecting a recurrence & hoping I'll be able to stop safely again. Never being able to trust this thing again after 3 months is a sad situation & unlike anything I've ever experienced having owned 30+ vehicles in the last 25 years.
Why are you expecting a recurrence? Shouldn't you at least wait for diagnosis. It could be something very simple. Could also be very complex. After I had my C-Max for 4 years, I got the same "Stop Safely Now" message going home on Friday. Monday, they told me there was a wiring harness issue, and they fixed it. I did not have that problem again for the next 2 year until I sold the car.

Ma9573

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Mach E CA Rte1
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Oh man that sucks.. I've had it happen twice to me on the freeway and it is scary as hell. Once in a 1992 Chrysler LeBaron when I was in high school (I thought the car was going to explode lol), and once in a 2004 BMW 525i. With the LeBaron I couldn't even make it to an off ramp and was in the right lane when it stopped. Literally took it from the freeway to a donation lot.

You'll definitely have some PTSD.

Reactions: ARK

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Why are you expecting a recurrence? Shouldn't you at least wait for diagnosis. It could be something very simple. Could also be very complex. After I had my C-Max for 4 years, I got the same "Stop Safely Now" message going home on Friday. Monday, they told me there was a wiring harness issue, and they fixed it. I did not have that problem again for the next 2 year until I sold the car.
He probably really meant "fearing a recurrence". Once something like that happens, it's hard to get that nagging feeling out of the back of your mind, and regain full trust in the vehicle again.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
He probably really meant "fearing a recurrence". Once something like that happens, it's hard to get that nagging feeling out of the back of your mind, and regain full trust in the vehicle again.
But why? Without having any diagnostic work done. It may be a serious problem, or it may a simple issue that is resolved once and for all.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
But why? Without having any diagnostic work done. It may be a serious problem, or it may a simple issue that is resolved once and for all.
The car quit and stranded him at the side of the road. It’s hard to get that out of your mind once it happens.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
With almost 3500 miles, ... Until last night.

While driving at full highway speed, I received "Stop safely now" followed by an immediate, complete loss of throttle -

yikes!
any other conditions that may have contributed? hot/cold weather?

when you find out what it was.... PLEASE post diagnosis and fix required!
Sponsored