"Stop safely now" , then full power loss while driving on highway...

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
I don't follow that logic at all. If I have the car die on me in the middle of the freeway, I'm gonna be EVEN MORE concerned it might happen again before I get it into the shop to have it looked at. Not less. That's why people want to get the car into the shop ASAP when they have a scary experience like that.
It's not going to happen before the OP gets it into the shop, for the simple reason that he already did get it into the shop. At this point there is nothing else to do until he hears back from them. Driving yourself crazy is not terribly helpful. There will be plenty of time for that later.
Sponsored

Deleted member 3663

While driving at full highway speed, I received "Stop safely now" followed by an immediate, complete loss of throttle - not any kind of limp mode, it seemed like the motor turned off completely.
No chance of plugging in an OBD2 to see if it generated any codes?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It's not going to happen before the OP gets it into the shop, for the simple reason that he already did get it into the shop. At this point there is nothing else to do until he hears back from them. Driving yourself crazy is not terribly helpful. There will be plenty of time for that later.
If it goes into the shop right away then there's no time to "drive yourself crazy".

Seems we're going around in circles here.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
If it goes into the shop right away then there's no time to "drive yourself crazy".

Seems we're going around in circles here.
Yes. To summarize, You feel that the moment an issue occurs, the appropriate response is to run around "hair on fire". I feel that it's best to wait until some diagnostics are performed and you hear back from the service department. You feel that if a problem occurred and has been resolved, it is likely to reoccur. I feel that it's best to wait until some diagnostics are performed and you hear back from the service department.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes. To summarize, You feel that the moment an issue occurs, the appropriate response is to run around "hair on fire". I feel that it's best to wait until some diagnostics are performed and you hear back from the service department. You feel that if a problem occurred and has been resolved, it is likely to reoccur. I feel that it's best to wait until some diagnostics are performed and you hear back from the service department.
LOL. Where's this "hair on fire!" crap coming from?

I said "a bit more nervous", and "nagging feeling out of the back of your mind". You've blown that dramatically out of proportion to create a straw man. Good grief. :rolleyes:

**edited** P.S.: take a look at the post below if you still can't figure out why it might make people a bit nervous...

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...le-driving-on-highway.7061/page-3#post-193493

Last edited:

DepletedSoul

First Name
Jonathon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Premium RWD
Occupation
I sell stuff
Country flag
So I am at the dealer as we speak due to a very similar if not exactly the same issue. It turns out there is an update to the power train control system to resolve this known issue. They asked if I wanted to run through all the other available updates that are not yet OTA. It is going to take 5 hours but I told them to go for it. Apparently this update will be released later but is also going to give me a small range bump. I will let you guys know how it works out.

I suppose I should be more upset but I have been buying first gen electrical cars for years and have experienced issues with each car. I am just used to it at this point and just try to remember how much I love new toys when I hit those hard moments.

HBGuy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 2021 MME Prem LR-RD; 2013 Focus Electric
Occupation
IT Architect
Country flag

urmyboyblue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus IS 350
Country flag
I have had this happen to me 8 TIMES NOW (shutting off but can work again for short period). I was thinking about making a separate posts but I will vent on here. Mine is in the shop for the 3rd time now still not resolved....
1st time in the shop- They replaced a module. That took about 4 days to have installed. They had a field engineer in the Valley in charge of it talking with Ford directly.
2nd time in the shop - Drove it about 80 miles and it did stop safely on the freeway and shut off. I was told it should try to turn it back on later and hopefully get it back to the dealership. I did not make it again back to the dealership. The car will feel like you get rear ended if it happens at a stop light. This time took over 2 weeks with them replacing the entire wiring harness.
3rd time in the shop - Same thing. Car shuts off mid drive and lose all power steering. Got a tow and currently at the dealership with no eta and they have now ordered battery cells.

My biggest grip is this is a car for my wife. I had heard sold on it and now it is a HUGE safety risk! She no longer wants to get behind the wheel and happened to her twice. It has shut down at a stop light twice during rush hour in Phoenix...

She is not the savvy with cars and the car will not let you put the car in neutral unless you power off and attempt to start. Then quickly switch to neutral. All while cars are honking at you to get out of the way. It has given her PTSD with the car.... Its bad when I had to teach her now how to put it in tow mode in the settings because of how frequent it has happened.

So with this being the third time with no eta, I have called to start the buy back process. Not only is it not reliable for me, the safety risk is something our family is impacted by and cant get over.

I have been lurking around seeing if others had the same issue and this post proves it is a KI. Im glad everyone else is having a safer experience than us OP.

Sorry for the rant

**LAST THING - HEY FORD, IF YOU ARE ON THIS FORUM....I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A CHAT AND PM ME**

Ford Mustang Mach-E "Stop safely now" , then full power loss while driving on highway... IMG_0621

Ford Mustang Mach-E "Stop safely now" , then full power loss while driving on highway... IMG_0609

Ford Mustang Mach-E "Stop safely now" , then full power loss while driving on highway... IMG_0598
Ford Mustang Mach-E "Stop safely now" , then full power loss while driving on highway... IMG_0599

Ford Mustang Mach-E "Stop safely now" , then full power loss while driving on highway... IMG_0473
Ford Mustang Mach-E "Stop safely now" , then full power loss while driving on highway... IMG_0475

Ford Mustang Mach-E "Stop safely now" , then full power loss while driving on highway... IMG_0454

Ford Mustang Mach-E "Stop safely now" , then full power loss while driving on highway... IMG_0442

Ford Mustang Mach-E "Stop safely now" , then full power loss while driving on highway... IMG_0439

IMG_0597.JPG

Racdos

First Name
Rac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium, Audi Q5
Country flag
So I am at the dealer as we speak due to a very similar if not exactly the same issue. It turns out there is an update to the power train control system to resolve this known issue. They asked if I wanted to run through all the other available updates that are not yet OTA. It is going to take 5 hours but I told them to go for it. Apparently this update will be released later but is also going to give me a small range bump. I will let you guys know how it works out.

I suppose I should be more upset but I have been buying first gen electrical cars for years and have experienced issues with each car. I am just used to it at this point and just try to remember how much I love new toys when I hit those hard moments.
So there is a major powertrain issue and an available fix for it? Why hasn't Ford issued a recall on this yet? This is a major safety concern.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I have had this happen to me 8 TIMES NOW (shutting off but can work again for short period). I was thinking about making a separate posts but I will vent on here. Mine is in the shop for the 3rd time now still not resolved....
1st time in the shop- They replaced a module. That took about 4 days to have installed. They had a field engineer in the Valley in charge of it talking with Ford directly.
2nd time in the shop - Drove it about 80 miles and it did stop safely on the freeway and shut off. I was told it should try to turn it back on later and hopefully get it back to the dealership. I did not make it again back to the dealership. The car will feel like you get rear ended if it happens at a stop light. This time took over 2 weeks with them replacing the entire wiring harness.
3rd time in the shop - Same thing. Car shuts off mid drive and lose all power steering. Got a tow and currently at the dealership with no eta and they have now ordered battery cells.

My biggest grip is this is a car for my wife. I had heard sold on it and now it is a HUGE safety risk! She no longer wants to get behind the wheel and happened to her twice. It has shut down at a stop light twice during rush hour in Phoenix...

She is not the savvy with cars and the car will not let you put the car in neutral unless you power off and attempt to start. Then quickly switch to neutral. All while cars are honking at you to get out of the way. It has given her PTSD with the car.... Its bad when I had to teach her now how to put it in tow mode in the settings because of how frequent it has happened.

So with this being the third time with no eta, I have called to start the buy back process. Not only is it not reliable for me, the safety risk is something our family is impacted by and cant get over.

I have been lurking around seeing if others had the same issue and this post proves it is a KI. Im glad everyone else is having a safer experience than us OP.

Sorry for the rant

**LAST THING - HEY FORD, IF YOU ARE ON THIS FORUM....I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A CHAT AND PM ME**

Ford Mustang Mach-E "Stop safely now" , then full power loss while driving on highway... IMG_0597.JPG

Ford Mustang Mach-E "Stop safely now" , then full power loss while driving on highway... IMG_0597.JPG

Wow! That is so reminiscent of many peoples Focus Electric experiences its eerie.

Hopefully they escalate that up in Ford and get it fixed for you but I get it: all your confidence is lost in the vehicle even if they do fix it you'll feel like it could happen at any time.

Sigh.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag

Sorry for the rant

Glad to hear you have all stayed safe.
Honestly, if the same thing was happening to my wife, I would also start the buy-back process. We, as forum users and early-adopters have a certain tolerance to deal with this crap but when it’s other members of our family it’s time to pull the plug.
@Ford Motor Company Please help this guy out. Clearly his car is an early build and he’s having a ton of problems that have made his wife not only dislike the car but fear getting in it.

Blanked

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME FE , 2003 Ford Excursion EB 4x4
Country flag
is 3K miles the "Unlucky" Fail-o-meter?

we are at ~2,975 and based on the facts from others.. the 3K mile mark is more concerning.

peoples1234

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE GB
Country flag
is 3K miles the "Unlucky" Fail-o-meter?

we are at ~2,975 and based on the facts from others.. the 3K mile mark is more concerning.
I have almost 7k miles without a hiccup (knock on wood). People (generally, not specifically you) sure do have a way of making connections when there are none ?

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
With almost 3500 miles, other than continual software glitches & the insanely poor public charging situation (ridiculously few fast chargers, with many of those broken) I've had a good experience & was rather impressed with my first Ford (my other vehicles have primarily been BMW & Audi) Until last night.

While driving at full highway speed, I received "Stop safely now" followed by an immediate, complete loss of throttle - not any kind of limp mode, it seemed like the motor turned off completely. No, this was not because I ran out of charge (see photo) but instead some kind of other major failure. I was lucky to get from the left lane to an off-ramp before my momentum ran out. Needless to say, this was not a fun experience.

Now I'm anticipating the dealer will do a software flash or something & tell me it's fixed; while I'll be expecting a recurrence & hoping I'll be able to stop safely again. Never being able to trust this thing again after 3 months is a sad situation & unlike anything I've ever experienced having owned 30+ vehicles in the last 25 years.

Hi there! Can you send us a DM with your VIN? I'd like to look into this for you.

OP
OP
mach21fe

mach21fe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Hi there! Can you send us a DM with your VIN? I'd like to look into this for you.
Hello Ford,
Ford, thank you very much for the response, I've sent a PM.

Everyone else, I apologize I don't have time to reply to all of your responses at the moment, but I was at the dealer the minute they opened yesterday morning to drop off key & explain the situation; I have not heard anything back yet.
Sponsored